Dominic Breazeale vs the following

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, May 20, 2019.

1. Golden_Feather99

Golden_Feather99 Active Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2019
    This content is protected

Edit: This is the second fight where Sharkey was stopped. Sharkey was still the defending champion here and he was winning the fight before he was stopped.

I could only find footage of rounds 4,5,6. I only watched one. Round 4 stats at 3:30.

3:58- Sharkey jabs and then feints a right hand. He puts all his weight on his front leg when he feints and both his hands are next to his body. He's wide open for almost everything.

4:05- Carnera lands a jab. He follows up with a left hook. Sharkey brings his lead foot back first since his weight was on his rear leg. Even though Carnera doesn't land the left hook, Sharkey falls off-balance because he brought his feet too close.

4:10- Sharkey throws a jab to the chest. Right side of his face is exposed since his right hand is at his waist. And he's leaning forward when he throws the jab when you're supposed to lean to the side so you're a narrow target (harder to counter).

4:11- He follows the jab with a left hook. He starts off well by getting low and turning his body to the left to get leverage but his left hook was terrible. His right foot gets ahead of his left as he throws the left hook. He starts off orthodox and ends up southpaw after the left hook. The fundamental way is to throw a left hook with a forward shuffle. You push off your back foot and close distance while maintaining your fundamental stance.

4:29- Sharkey feints a jab. He transfers all his weight to his lead leg again and he's leaning forward. If Carnera were to throw a jab or counter with his right, there isn't much Sharkey could've done defensively.

4:31- He makes the same mistake 2 seconds later. First, he steps forward with his lead leg and puts all his weight on his lead leg. Then he throws a jab and tries to cover distance by leaning forward. Ends up losing his balance and stumbling forward.

4:32- As Sharkey falls forward, Carnera throws a left hook. Sharkey ducks under the hook but then he leans back with his hands down to avoid the right hand and loses his balance again.

4:34- Sharkey literally walks into a jab. He walks into Carnera's range with his hands down and no head movement.

4:35- After eating a jab, Sharkey throws his own jab but leans forward to reach Carnera once again and loses his balance, crosses his feet. His feet were too close when he threw the jab. He did step in with his jab but he stepped too far out for him to maintain his balance.

4:43- Sharkey throws a jab but leans forward far too much and almost falls over, again.

5:00- Sharkey walks into a jab again. He takes a big step forward with his hands down and Carnera throws a jab because Sharkey is right in front of him and he lands. Sharkey throws his own jab with all his weight on his front leg, leaning forward. Carnera parries the jab and Sharkey loses his balance again. He was overextending way too much, his right foot almost came off the canvas when he threw his jab.

5:11- Sharkey is leaning to his side (crouch). Carnera lunges forward and Sharkey sees him coming and pulls back his lead foot first putting all his weight on his rear leg. Ends up staying in the same spot as Carnera throws his punches. If he had stepped back with his rear foot first, he'd be out of danger. You move one foot at a time, when Sharkey is bringing his front foot back, his rear foot is planted to the ground. And by doing so, his feet end up close to each other which is a pretty basic fundamental error.

5:18- Sharkey jabs to the body with his head at centreline, eats a Carnera jab.

5:20- Sharkey throws a 1-2. Overextends when he throws the right hand and falls off balance and eats a jab. He threw a right hand from orthodox stance. When he was done throwing the right hand, his right was foot was ahead of his left.

5:28: Sharkey jabs and leans forward again putting his weight on his front leg. He keeps his balance here.

5:30- Sharkey throws a jab to the body and then leans back with his hands down to avoid the right hand. The right hand lands.

5:40- Walks into another jab with his hands down. If he tried to move his head, tried to parry or counter-jab and still got hit, it wouldn't be bad at all. It's just that he's a stationary target here without any form of defence.

5:41- Sharkey throws a terrible left hook. I've never seen an orthodox fighter throw a left hook and turn southpaw at the same time. That was terrible technique.

5:44- Sharkey throws a jab with his weight on his lead leg again, leans over too much and falls off balance.

5:54- Another one. Jabs from too far out but leans over to compensate, loses balance, feet cross, misses the jab.

5:55- Again, he gets jabbed in the face. He's standing right in front of Carnera with his hands down. He doesn't parry and he doesn't move his head at all.

5:42- Terrible footwork. He literally walks backward to get away from Carnera.

5:45- Leans forward too much as he jabs.

That's a rookie error right there. Leaning forward to cover distance. You lose balance, can't follow up, and you're vulnerable to counters. Sharkey threw a jab leaning forward 7 times in just one round. A fighter like Carnera is too slow to make Sharkey pay for his mistakes.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Pat M likes this.
  2. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    GASP! You must really think he sucks if you pick Carnera over him! Not the Seamus ive grown to know and love!

3. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    To be fair, Breazeale really isn't that great. We all knew he was going to get stomped by Wilder.

4. CarlChilders

CarlChilders Member banned Full Member

Mar 1, 2019
    But this is the Classic Forum. I assuming most of the guys who post here are old men. You know the same old men who still think 6'0 170 pound Gene Tunney could beat Lennox Lewis. The same people who think 5'10 180 pound Rocky Marciano could beat the 6'3 230 pound George Foreman.

But yeah Dominc Breazeale is bad compared to modern skilled heavyweights. Sharkey, Baer were good for their era. Canera wasn't even considered good for his era. Compared to modern fighter each of these guys could be considered club fighters in just skill alone. Breazeale would knock each of these guys out with little problem.

Pat M and Golden_Feather99 like this.
  5. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Again-& another guy does the exact same thing-you are not honest in terms of using the most accurate prime sizes!
    You exaggerate sometimes, but most frequently-& usually-round down the old fighters.

For example. Tunney likely weighed a bit more as a LIGHT HW.
    But you know we are talking about him in HW matchups.
    Where at his peak, like vs. Dempsey both times, he was in the one nineties.

You fatally compromi2e your credibility by insisting on numbers that are flat-out Wrong.
    You must know better; if so, you are being fundamentally dishonest.

6. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Baer kos him ,imo,an on form Sharkey outpoints him,Breazeale ko's Carnera.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  7. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Considering Breazeale cant fight which he has proven befor. I cant even believe this was made into a thread. SMH

Mendoza likes this.
  8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    It's funny how you lump everyone in classic into your neat little package. Either you can fight or you cant. Breazeale cant and never could. Hes not naturally gifted so picking up the sport as late as he did doesn't help either.
    If you have a problem here go back to the General. Nobody wants to hear some condescending bull**** where again you lump everyone on here as thinking the same way but of course your way is the correct way because your the end all to be all in HW boxing knowledge. Let's just all turn to you for answers now

BitPlayerVesti and Rainer like this.
  9. InMemoryofJakeLamotta

InMemoryofJakeLamotta I have defeated the great Seamus Full Member

Sep 21, 2017
    He's like Jesus....he is the answer

Rainer likes this.
  10. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    Did you come to any conclusions as to why Sharkey was so open to punches in this fight,open as though inviting punches back?

11. Okin129

Okin129 ... Full Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Brazil can‘t fight but neither could Carnera.

Sharkey could fight a little bit but he was a lot smaller than Brazil.

Baer was a club brawler with poor defense, similar to Brazil but he was not as oafish and he probably punched a bit harder than Brazil.

Imo Brazil would beat Carnera and Sharkey but he would probably lose to Baer in a brutal slugfest.

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I’d pick him to go 0-3. A punchers chance for an upset.

13. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Baer and Sharkey beat him if they are near their best form. I think Carnera would outbox him in a really ugly fight, but his shaky chin would give Breazeale a reasonable chance.

InMemoryofJakeLamotta likes this.
  14. BitPlayerVesti

BitPlayerVesti Boxing Drunkie Full Member

Oct 28, 2017
    There are loads of sporting records that haven't been broken in many decades. It's just that no one pays attention to them.

(And I don't mean stuff like numbers of wins where it's based on beating the competitions. I mean stuff like Arthur Saxon still holding the record for the bent press)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Breazeale is the perfect argument for size not always equating to success. He is just so athletically limited (SLOW!) and bereft of skill (standing still and pawing is not a defensive strategy when under fire). And the times I have seen him, he doesn't really look like he wants to be in the ring (unlike Wilder who, for all else you can say, has natural fighting spirit). Am I missing some great performances of his? Please let me know.