Donaire vs Zarate

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by RJJFan, Jun 8, 2021.

1. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Two of the biggest punchers at 118. Who wins?

This content is protected

Reinhardt likes this.
  2. JOKER

JOKER Froat rike butterfry, sting rike MFER! banned Full Member

Dec 18, 2019
    Zarate, but wouldn't count Donaire out at all.

3. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I need to watch some zarate....he looks like a badass

4. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Zarate was an absolute beast. He was a nasty Tito-esque puncher and an incredibly skilled technician. What he did to competent technicians in Davila and Martinez was frightful, and the Zamora fight was a beastly showing vs a monster at the weight. You don't go 52-0 with 51 KOs without being good at everything and an absolute animal. Technique wise, he was one of the best 'proper' punchers I've ever seen. He was just got perfect form on his shots, and was excellent at parrying and slipping shots, and as far as ring-cutting goes, you don't have to look much further than Zarate to find a perfect example. The only real issue he has is that his chin isn't unbreakable. Even as good as Gomez was, he shouldn't have had it that easy.

Donaire is one of the best athletes ever at the lower weights. Massive at the weight, ridiculously fast hands, colossal power, very well coordinated with a great chin and bags of stamina. His ability and dexterity on his feet were massively underrated aspects of his game. He thrived, primarily, vs three types of fighters. He loves off-beat, rhythmless sluggers who amble in and look to overwhelm you either power, strength or workrate (like Darchinyan); hyper aggressive swarmers who look to get inside or underneath and suffocate you with pressure (like maybe Arce, definitely like Oubaali); and the steadily aggressive boxer-punchers who fight coming forward, working behind the jab and normally somewhat upright (like Inoue, Sydorenko or Montiel). Zarate fits that third mold, and I think that's the one Donaire's best suited for. It's easier to time someone with a steadier rhythm, and easier to find someone who doesn't fight to remove your space. I think he'd be able to maybe spin off and set up a left hook; either by splitting a jab or tripwiring a cross. Definitely a possiblity. So Donaire isn't without chance, because he could find Zarate's chin and lay him out, but I think he'd lose a decision or get hurt late.

5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Best fights to watch are:

Orlando Amores
    Rodolfo Martinez
    Paul Ferreri
    Alberto Davila
    Alfonso Zamora
    Wilfredo Gomez (loss)
    Lupe Pintor (loss, but a very polarising decision)

6. Dannymita

Dannymita Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Thanks for that...I'll have a watch.

Can't back either til I've seen enough of both but if a bookie took bets on it as always I'd rife with Donaire regardless of who I think would win...guys won me too much money over the years lol

7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    This content is protected

This is my favourite Zarate KO. Like a drunk emptying ashtrays out his back door. Pop!, Pop! Casual and beautiful. Goodnight and, Good luck.

Loses the first two from memory. Then, Pop! All over.

8. RJJFan

RJJFan Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Orlando was doing good as well, just got cocky in the end.

McGrain likes this.
  9. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Oh I think you would see Donaire counted out.

10. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    Possibly.

11. WhataRock

WhataRock VIP Member Full Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I was just playing on your words.

What a massive compliment to Donaire that he gets talked about in these matchups as one of their peers.

George Crowcroft and TipNom like this.
  12. JOKER

Dec 18, 2019
    I know. But it's true that Donaire could be slept.

13. vast

vast Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Zarate was the consummate boxer with A plus power. The only negative is that he was a bit stiff in the upper body.

Definitely favor him over Donaire.

14. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I liked his upper-body movement. For a tall guy, it was actually quite good. Not Vitali Klitschko-esque where it consisted of nothing but leaning back and hoping you didn't get hit. He was excellent at swaying left and right before he threw, while remaining on balance. A lot of his mannerisms remind me of Arguello.

Reinhardt, BobD99, ShovelHook and 2 others like this.
  15. SquaredCircle

SquaredCircle Active Member Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Every time I watch Zarate, there are flashes where I think I'm watching Arguello.