Donnie Liboon "Ahas" Nietes - check out this cat's outstanding résumé!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 25, 2016.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    All of his career blemishes came within his first two years on the job, and he is currently on a decade-long run of excellent form in which he is 14-0-1 (6) in world title bouts spanning 2 weight classes and has just broken into his 3rd with a flourish, shutting out the estimable Mexican veteran Edgar Sosa last night on beIN Sports Español. Nobody here watched it though, apparently. :roto2nuse:

His days in the sport are likely numbered, being a flyweight in his mid-thirties - and having only ascended the ranks seven pounds from his origin point at straw (as opposed to Manny Pacquiao's whopping and historically unmatched 49-lb, eleven-division northbound journey) he will likely remain obscured in the deep recesses of Pac-Man's shadow, but make no mistake: he's a great little fighter...and I hope a huge payday awaits him before retirement. I would argue that factoring in both résumé and h2h ability he is definitively top 5 among Filipino boxers of the last thirty years - arguably behind only Gerry Peñalosa, Nonito Donaire, and Pacquiao himself. I think enough room separates Ahas from his nearest runners-up (such as Casimero) that he belongs in the conversation as more of a nipper on the heels of that enshrined trio of Hall of Fame locks than as just a faceless member of the rest of the pack trailing in their wake.

For those unversed in the scene at the bottom end of the scales in boxing, Nietes only possesses a handful of big-name scalps (of the sort that usually punch one's ticket of admission into the annals of 'greatness') - but even just a handful is a more than impressive feat in these waters, considering how front-loaded and lacking in depth of talent most of the divisions south of bantamweight are, or the fact that having a belt holder with close to a .500 record isn't so uncommon as to be startling. Many of the names of secondary and even tertiary concern on his record are in fact stiffer on-the-way-up tests for an elite campaigning beneath 50 kilograms than you can find in most of the parts of the world that populate these lists. Heri Amol, for instance, probably has more legit-threat value as mere "journeyman deluxe" than many of the South Americans with prettier records in fringe contention.

A critic going purely off BoxRec might nitpick with observations like "he only got by with a split decision over Chango Vargas, who next time out was crushed in a hurry by Donaire..." - but the fact is that Nietes fought him at straw and Donaire all the way up at super fly - and Chango would later go on to give Chocolatito a very tough fight that stands as still among his toughest yet. Likewise, the draw with Fuentes in the first encounter is no source of shame (and thus wasn't enumerated above under "blemishes") - in fact a fantastic result by any measure and one Ahas later avenged by way of kayo victory in the rematch (even more fantastic). If one felt inclined to pooh-pooh his points landslide over Sosa on the grounds that Chocolatito destroyed him last May, you could well respond "yeah but that was ****ing Román González!!" - just as in Vargas' case "yeah but that was ****ing Nonito Donaire!!" is a fair objection. Edgar is getting up there but he's still a beast. Now with the addition of Sosa, plus Rayito Hirales and Chihuas Rodríguez all in the past 14 months, his stock is soaring after having already stylishly bested a host of strong B-grade contenders in his weight range for ages now.

2. PinoyProdigy

PinoyProdigy Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I love watching Nietes fight. He's such an outstanding technician and is criminally underrated, even by Filipino boxing fans. Easily one of the best Filipino fighters of all-time.

Nonito Smoak likes this.
  3. Kokiri

Kokiri Member Full Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Donnie is a phenominal talent that in my opinion should be sniffing around the lower p4p places. Despite him fighting in the less marketable lower divisions, his success has been such that his lack of popularity leaves me scratching my head. But that is boxing, a sport where it is not good enough to be good enough.

4. Drew101

Drew101 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Yeah, he's arguably worthy of p4p consideration and well within the Top 20 at the moment. Plus, the one loss on his record was a case of grand larceny (Angkotta weighed in at junior bantamweight against a junior flyweight, and Nietes still managed to hold him to a split decision...in Angkotta's backyard).

5. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    ALA gym's best boxer is a former JANITOR and a lover of snakes what in the world. Nietes and Z gorres were good. The rest are well in a tougher division. Magsayo's stupid azz needs to use his brain because the way he fights he is another KO waiting to happen like Albert PAGARA.They need to take a page from Nietes.Smooth operator patient nice high guard sets up his opponent with solid counters uses educated movement he doesn't waste punches.

6. Bad News Brit

Bad News Brit Active Member banned Full Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Has a chance of becoming the man at Flyweight too with Gonzalez and Estrada moving up.

Nietes v Casimero would be fun.

7. PinoyProdigy

PinoyProdigy Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I would love that fight, but too bad they're both Filipinos. World-class Filipinos usually never fight these days cause they don't wanna cannibalize one another. Casimero's handlers have already said they don't want it to happen and don't see it happening unless Nietes becomes Casimero's mandatory. But damn, that would be an awesome fight.

8. Willie Maeket

Willie Maeket The Mothership Connection Full Member

Jun 22, 2015
    The Mexican vs Philippines rivalry is lucrative in So cal and Mexico. Glad you noticed the fight last night. This forum had no RBR I figured because it was on a small Mexican channel.
    Good fights last night with some good names.
    On a side note someone should tell Haymon to take heed to having fights at night and not mid afternoon so the crowd is comfortable.

9. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Not like he's boring, either.

10. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    I was supremely disappointed to see no RBR last night. I ended up following along with the action via Twitter and thinking I probably should've just gone home instead of having stupid arguments with my girlfriend all night. (both of us were tired, cranky and overworked and probably should've just taken a night off from each other :drooling:)

11. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Sorry, I'd fully planned on doing one but there was a cable outage in my area and I have all three phone, internet and cable from the same company, so nothing was working, and they finally got it back up and running around 11:30ish and at that point it had been on for about a half an hour, no one was on here, not even Pinoy, the match was on tape delay, so the result was known before the match was on beIN,.

12. Gannicus

Gannicus 2014 Poster of the Year Full Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Thanks for making a thread on him, he needs to be appreciated, not many know him.
    He's been holding titles for the last 10 years without fail. He's a very good fighter but he's getting old now.

Thanks also for making this forum update awesome.

13. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Yeah, he deserves a cash out with Inoue or Chocolatito.

Nowt to do with me! That was all the admin.

14. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Who ARE you?

15. PIPO23

PIPO23 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

May 18, 2006
    I don't love watching him fight but he has a safe approach to the fight something the rest ALA boys can take note from.YES, it is boring but effective for him. The rest of the ALA boys just throw wild punches and have no plan B. Poor defense and accuracy is horrendous and their basic skills is C- they are mistake prone and are easy to hit.

Take note you young but dumb azz Mark magsayo and Albert
    Pagara.