Donovan Ruddock returns on the Stevenson vs. Karpency PBC on Spike TV undercard

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by IntentionalButt, Sep 7, 2015.

1. IntentionalButt

IntentionalButt Guy wants to name his çock 'macho' that's ok by me Full Member

Nov 30, 2006
    This will be the Razor's first time being televised in his comeback following a 14-year hiatus from the ring. He is challenging 8-2 (7) Dillon Carman for the Canadian heavyweight title, coming off two 6-rounders this past spring after having not fought since 2001.

Ruddock was in negotiations to reclaim the belt, which belonged to him on two prior occasions in 1988 and 2001, a few years ago when it was held by Neven Pajkic. There was even a press conference and Ruddock vs. Pajkic was all but a go, until it somehow fell apart. Pajkic would go on to drop Tyson Fury in the 2nd round and stun him repeatedly en route to being stopped himself.

If the Smash does Carman in, look for Ruddock to make a few more PBC appearances before challenging Deontay Wilder next year. :!:

2. Vince Voltage

Vince Voltage Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Wow, that's crazy. I like Ruddock...but how old is he now? He must be around 50.

3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Lol at him challenging Wilder. I don't even think Wilder's team would be that absurd.

4. UnleashtheFURY

UnleashtheFURY D'oh! Full Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Yeah it looks like their grooming Ruddock to be a Wilder opponent, unfortunately.....

5. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Ruddock-Briggs makes sense for both boxers....make it happen!

6. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    That would actually sell more than one might expect. It could even be a PPV co-feature, and I'm not even kidding. Take into account Briggs' self-aggrandizing campaign in the hunt for Doc Steel-hammer raising his profile and making full use of today's internet culture and its short-attention-spanned viral meme consumption trends and shoehorning himself into fans' remembrance well over a decade past his last period of true relevance - as well as the fact that many older fans have expressed nostalgia over Ruddock and clamored off and on for his return since his original retirement. It would have the same enthralling train-wreck appeal that Hopkins vs. Jones II or Maske vs. Hill II did, and both of those were more successful financially than either had any right to be.

7. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    For his own sake, I hope he loses. This is utterly, utterly pointless.

8. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    He's about the same age Hopkins is, and in pretty good shape himself...

9. Zakman

Zakman ESB's Chinchecker Full Member

Apr 16, 2005
    This is so true, and believe me, a guy my age really gets this. The 80s and 90s were sort of the "heyday" of my boxing fandom. I watched the most fights, in the early 80s it was new and exciting to me - ah, the memories! ESPN Top Rank Boxing. USAs Tuesday Night Fights....on and on.

And it also seems that we as humans are attracted to things that remind us of our youth, whether it be music, film, or if you are a boxing fan, the fights and fighters of the eras when we were young.

And this sort of fight, Briggs-Ruddock, is fine with me. I have long favored a boxing "seniors tour," where as in other sports, aging legends compete with one another. I am not as big a fan of these dinosaurs competing with the champs of today, but I recognize that it is hard to prevent, particularly when you have freaks like Hopkins out there. So let it happen. If Briggs wants a shot at Wlad, fight Ruddock!

10. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    :yep

Just a complete joke, this is up there with some of the worst that I can remember.

11. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    :good

12. IntentionalButt

Nov 30, 2006
    Top Rank's card on Friday night is a lot better.

13. Cafe

Cafe Sitzpinkler Full Member

Sep 2, 2011
    Wouldn't this just **** on your memory?

14. Limerickbox

Limerickbox Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 18, 2015
    Hopkins is an ATG, and constantly fought throughout his career.

Ruddock was a pretty decent HW 20+ years ago.

15. FrankinDallas

FrankinDallas Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    A very reasonable post....strangely enough. A Labor Day gift to the Workers of the World?

I also support a Senior Boxing League, with some qualifications
    1) 5 round bouts
    2) standing eight count
    3) larger gloves
    4) once signed up, a boxer is banned from fighting anyone 5+ years younger
    5) a medical plan in place for each boxer that covers 100% of new injuries.