Doug DeWitt On Who Hit The Hardest

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by OP_TheJawBreaker, Oct 11, 2021.

1. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Tommy tried too hard that night. Had he let the punch come and not tried tot impress he would have gotten the knockout.

2. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    It was frightening the beating that Doug took. You could argue Benn won the opening round 10-8 with no knockdown. DeWitt’s ear had already turned BLUE.

Fergy likes this.
  3. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    No at that time. Dewitt had a crazy chin. Hearns would have had a better chance at stopping him on cuts with the jab.

4. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Interviewer: Which fighter missed you the most with his punches?

Dewitt: I don’t understand the question.

5. PernellSweetPea

PernellSweetPea Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 26, 2009
    He rocked him a little, but Tommy was forcing it. Many of the right hands were not really thrown like the Shuler one was. He did better when he would sit back jab and drop it in like with Olajide in round 9, but when he would try too hard he couldn't drop it the same way..

Flash24 likes this.
  6. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Sumbu Kalambay might disagree with you.

7. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Sumbu knocked him out with one shot, too.

8. Cobra33

Cobra33 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 2, 2006
    True but Dewitt wasn't the same boxer at that stage.
    He would have some good wins but when he got stopped by Quiounes that is when the cracks really started to show.
    Up until then his chin was granite.
    I'm a Hearns fan and I don't even think Hearns ever rocked him. True he was bothered at times but he was never close to going down.
    Don Lee could crack and Dewitt took everything from him without blinking.
    The Hilton win in my opinion showed how far Hilton was gone.
    Sumbu would always beat Doug because he was so skilled but stopping a prime Dewitt I don't know.

9. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    It wasn’t really a big power shot from Sumbu if I recall, like one Doug didn’t see coming after accumulation. I think he ran into it too though not seen for years and only seen once

10. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Kalambay -man that guy had as good a defense, movement and countering ability as anyone I’ve ****ing seen. Hugely underappreciated outside this board.

11. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    ESB: And you were know for your rock-chin – and I must say, you sound great today – who was the hardest puncher you ever faced, Champ?

D.D: Yeah, I’m still sharp, my mind is clear. I’m doing acting work now, on the stage as well as on the screen, I don’t just want to be a tough guy, in action movies (Doug has appeared in 1996’s “Bullet” with Mickey Rourke) – but anyway, you need a clear mind for that job; all the lines and stuff. But on to your question: the hardest puncher I ever fought – there were three fighters that spring to the forefront of my mind: Hilton, Thomas Hearns and Nigel Benn. I’d probably have to say Hearns, as his power was totally different to anyone else I faced. I didn’t even see Tommy’s punches coming; he had great speed and timing. He really shook me in the 3rd-round of our (Oct. 1986) fight; I got a little cocky and I heard a “whack!” and I was on ***** street for a while.

12. OP_TheJawBreaker

OP_TheJawBreaker NOBODY hit like that guy! Full Member

Jun 23, 2021
    Why can't any fighters be like Roy Jones Jr.? Any interview or video you found about him he would always give the same answer smh...

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    This interview was 2012.