Duane Bobbick vs Tommy Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mr. magoo, May 13, 2021.

1. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I think Morrison would probably be the favorite but not a guaranteed win. Two guys with big power, padded records and shaky chins.

choklab likes this.
  2. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Morrison would crush probably faster than Norton did.

3. LoadedGlove

LoadedGlove Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 6, 2019
    Well, neither of these got a receipt with their chins. If they had, they'd have taken them back !
    All of Bobbick's best wins were against light punchers. LeDoux, Wepner and Bunny Johnson who was only really a Light Heavy.
    What Morrison brings here is serious power. More than Norton or Kallie Knoetze I reckon.
    Despite having been an Olympian and having good basics, Duane tended to fall apart when he got tagged, chin up, hands down, timberrr.
    For all his crudity, I see Tommy winning here in three or four rounds of pure car park classic action.

Clinton, Seamus, Fergy and 4 others like this.
  4. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007
    Yeah it certainly seems like Morrison would be the right choice but I agree that it might be an exciting scrap for the short time it lasts

Clinton and LoadedGlove like this.
  5. IHaveAscreenName804

IHaveAscreenName804 Member banned Full Member

May 1, 2021
    You say Morrison had a padded record and a shaky chin but I bet you are the type of guy who says Joe Louis was great even though he had a padded record and a true glass chin.

Morrison was stopped by a barrage of punches from Mercer that would of put 99 percent of heavyweights out. Lewis a murderous punches dropped a faded worn down Morrison over and over and he kept getting up. Michael Bentt was a good puncher and just caught Morrison right on the chin. He still got up.

His other knockdowns were a by product of being hit by big punches and him being a aggressive guy which means he was going to walk into punches. Morrison also beat various solid guys in his career. Better than anybody Joe Louis ever fought ( Watch you bring up a 160 pound Ezzard Charles and 190 pound Walcott).

Stiches Yarn likes this.
  6. fists of fury

fists of fury Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I think Morrison wins this quite easily. Bobick was decimated by Knoetze, who was not on Morrison's level.

7. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Bobick totally froze against Norton and Tate, and Morrison is a fast starter. I think Bobick would be lucky to get out of the first round.

Clinton and mr. magoo like this.
  8. mr. magoo

Jan 3, 2007

Hahah. I appreciate the humor. We can all use some of that

9. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd favour Morrison but wouldn't totally write Bobick off either.

10. Stiches Yarn

Stiches Yarn Active Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2021
    That's where you are wrong, you did very good in the beginning but crashed at the end when you said Morrison beat every a lot of solid guys, better than any opponent JOE LOUIS ever fought!!
    Ezzard Charles, Greatest light heavyweight and possibly the Greatest boxer P4P, the only retired undefeated heavyweight champion Rocky Marciano, Jimmy Bivens, Bob Pastor, Joe Walcott, Max Schmeling, Primo Carnera, Jack Sharkey, Lou Nova, Max Baerw Tony Galento, Nathan Mann, Arturo Godoy, Buddy Baer, Lee Savold?!!
    Im huge fan of the Duke, but Joe's competition made Morrison's look like Wilder's!!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  11. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    This.

LoadedGlove likes this.
  12. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Duane had decent fundamentals but too slow, too hitable and not a world class chin ... Morrison also lacked that chin but he was much faster, much nor explosive and a better puncher .. I like Tommy early ..

13. IHaveAscreenName804

May 1, 2021
    No matter how great you think Ezzard Charles was he wasn't a heavyweight. Primo Canera was a bum, Bob Pastor was a 180 pound fighter and the other fighters you named including Rocky Marciano were third rate bums and on that note I can't type to you anymore.

14. IHaveAscreenName804

May 1, 2021
    The only humor here is these old senile boxing fans who love to talk about how great things were back when they were little kids. Dismissed.

Seamus likes this.
  15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I got Tommy, also. Bobick isn't aggressive enough to put Tommy on the back foot.

George Crowcroft and Pat M like this.