Duane Bobick vs Tex Cobb

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by he grant, Jul 30, 2022.

1. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Here's one I never saw .. Bobick actually had more skill and better boxing skills .. slightly faster .. size matches up .. Bobick's key weakness, his chin, may nit be exploited as Cobb was not a huge puncher .. thoughts ?

2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bobick couldn’t have been as bad as people say. At some point, or level, he had trouble seeing right hands coming his way. Apart from this, albeit big flaw at world level, he was pretty reasonable. And had to have been. He’s probably the best fighter Norton decked.

Cobb was tougher. But Cobb was tougher than everyone. And he was a pretty determined, game handful. So think this could be a very good fight.

certainly one I would like to watch.

I can make a case for both guys. everyone is going to pick Cobb. But that’s probably a bit unfair.

Levook, Tockah, BCS8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Close fight this, might even be a draw!

Levook, Tockah, Fogger and 1 other person like this.
  4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    If it goes the distance then I’d pick Bobick by decision. But Tex Cobb has a good chance of scoring a stoppage before the final bell

Levook, Reinhardt and choklab like this.
  5. scartissue

scartissue Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 2, 2006
    Bobick’s main issue was that he was a slow starter and big time hitters like Norton and knoetze took advantage of it. So did Tate, who wasn’t a legendary banger but he came at bobick with a whirlwind attack. I recall watching bobick against young Sanford back in the day and noticing he dropped the first 3 rounds before his engine was revved and he then took over the fight. If you had the kind of punch that could take Duane in the first 3 rounds then one should use it. Tex Cobb never had that kind of punch. He was a mauling clubber. I would pick bobick on a 10 round decision. Duane could box and had good fundamentals from his amateur days

Levook and choklab like this.
  6. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Lean towards Bobick myself. He was an OK boxer.

Pat M likes this.
  7. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    Tough one If Bobick boxes like he did aginst Scott LeDoux twice, I could see a ten round win. Duane once won 100 of 101 bouts. a 62 fight win streak going into 1972 Olympics, loss to Stevenson and a 38-0 record as a pro. going into Kenny Norton Bout in Ny.

In that streak he beat the best amateur heavyweights all around the world, and some good pro's Neumann, Wepner, Bunny Johnson, LeDoux, Schutte, Middleton, Ramos, were all ranked at one time or another , As far as WBA & RING MAGAZINE WERE CONCERNED Bobick's BEST WIN WAS AT THE TIME -ninth ranked Chuck Wepner. Randy Neumann was #10 The Ring Magazine at that time of their bout.

Tex and Bobick sparred in Philadelphia daily and heard they were wars!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    Levook likes this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    I'm gonna steal a line from McGrain
    And call it a draw!

Levook likes this.
  9. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Bobick takes a UD over 10. Probably isn't close either

ronnyrains likes this.
  10. Levook

Levook Well-Known Member Full Member

Aug 26, 2020
    Cobb is a hell of a nice guy, I got to meet & talk to him for a few minutes. Back in the 90's He came into where I was working, and I instantly recognized him. He was with his wife, and they were both very nice.

Having said that, I can't pick a winner in this one, I'll go with a draw.

11. ronnyrains

ronnyrains Active Member Full Member

May 27, 2014
    I can see Bobick methodically with combinations dominate a ten rounder with Cobb, much like he did a LeDoux and an Wepner. I would advise Duane not to go out slugging with Cobb at the outset.