Dubois vs Wilder

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Here's Johnny, May 4, 2020.

Who wins

1. Dubois points

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. Dubois stoppage

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  3. Wilder points

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wilder stoppage

13 vote(s)
    44.8%
  5. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. PaddyGarcia

PaddyGarcia Trivial Annoyance Gold Medalist Full Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I mean, obviously I don't literally mean 'everyone'. Seeing posts since the Fury fight, I've no doubt in my mind that if the Breeazeale fight hadn't happened and did happen next, then plenty would pick Breazeale to win. If you don't think they will then I reckon you don't spend enough time in the general forum - not that I'd recommend it.

Ortiz 1 was a good win. Stiverne 1 was decent (he was credible at the time). Then if we're talking about individuals as opposed to individual fight then probably Breazeale, Duhaupas or Scott depending on your poison. Breazeale itself isn't a great win at all but it was the manner of victory. WIlder has one trick but it's a trick he can do better than anyone else in the game. The only guy that has taken that away from him is the guy who took Wlad's right hand away from him too.

If we want to talk about how Wlder has only beaten one properly good fighter, then fine, but we have to also acknowledge he's only lost to a very, very good one.

Gatekeeper and Holler like this.
  2. TonyHayers

TonyHayers Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 1, 2018
    Yes, but I think most fighters in his position wouldn't lose to many opponents if they fought opposition as bad as he has.

Make a top ten list of the last decade. Who makes it? Wlad, Joshua, Fury are nailed on. I suppose if we're going back that far Vitali may be in as well. Then you have a few of a similar level along the lines of Pulev, Povetkin, Parker, Haye, Whyte and Ortiz.

All you have to do at this point is ask how many of them Wilder has beaten.

Holler likes this.
  3. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    Well, from the names you've listed there, he's beaten more in that list than Haye, Vitali, Parker, Pulev and Povetkin have.

My point is one of frustration at seeing so many people pick a very, very green Dubois against him because of 1) resume and 2) Fury loss, when his resume is worse than Wilder's (as it should be) and he'd lose to Fury too. It's just nonsensical to me. If he flattens Joyce then I'm very willing to listen to the idea of him beating Wilder but at this stage I don't quite understand it.

Holler likes this.
  4. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Regarding those names, you largely illustrate my point. He's not beaten the same names that Povetkin, Pulev and Parker are in. That's the company he keeps these days; not Klitschko, Joshua and Fury.

As for Dubois, yes he's a novice, but at the time Joshua beat Klitschko he'd beaten nobody better than Whyte and Breazeale. When Fury beat Klitschko his best win was Chisora who loses every time he steps up anyway. If the talent is there then it's there.

I'm not saying I make Dubois a favourite in this fight, but I have never rated Wilder and never will. He's a big puncher but that's pretty much it. I rank him somewhere above Luis Ortiz and somwhere below David Tua in terms of heavyweights over the last few decades. Would I pick Wilder to beat Parker, Povetkin or Pulev? Not with any massive degree of confidence. Would I pick Dubois to beat those three? Probably.

Wizbit1013 and Pompey Junglist like this.
  5. Shempz

Shempz Active Member Full Member

Mar 10, 2014

lmfao. This would be Daniel Dubois in his 8th pro fight against someone that had only previously been knocked out by Anthony Joshua.

Ok then. :duh

6. chico g

chico g What are you staring at Mr Trump?! hahaha! Full Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Dubois would be shinning a member of the bomb squads shoes before he's privileged to get I there with Deontay.

7. anjawnaymiz

anjawnaymiz Can we get Ivan Dychko some momentum Full Member

Sep 6, 2008
    When the lockdown is lifted I take it we will still get ridiculous fight dates so most fights will be October December I’m guessing?

8. Furey

Furey EST & REG 2009 Full Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Lol some of the comments on here are nuts

Wilder takes his head off at this moment in time.

9. Boxing First

Boxing First youtube.com/channel/UCM4RAP57DFWBjQQn2E-MDVw Full Member

Jan 9, 2020
    I think if Fury does another number on him (which I highly suspect he will) then Wilder will never mentally recover to fight at the world level and would be there for the taking. Dubois KO

Gatekeeper likes this.
  10. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Go back and look at how Price was the best offensive fighter in the history of boxing at one point according to this forum and you can get some yucks. Brits tend to buy in to anyone with an iota of success very early and overestimate them.

11. PaddyGarcia

Feb 13, 2014
    "The heir to Klitschko's throne" - A man wishing to be left alone

Saintpat likes this.
  12. FuryFTW

FuryFTW Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Yup

AJ will need ****ing 5 months to prepare for pulev

anjawnaymiz likes this.
  13. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    Well, considering all the belts going are held by British fighters at heavyweight that probably makes some sense at the moment.

I don't even rate Dubois that highly to be honest, but he could go all the way. Wilder never will.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  14. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    I doubt he’ll go as far as Wilder has.

In the immortal words of Johnny Rotten: England’s dreamin’.

15. TonyHayers

Nov 1, 2018
    To go as far as Wilder in my opinion all he needs to do is beat someone on the same level as Luis Ortiz. Winning a title has to seen in the context of the times. David Tua is my go to 'better than Wilder' comparison. He beat four world champions (Rahman, Maskaev, Ruiz and Moorer) but only got one title shot which he lost to an all time great in Lewis. Bar Maskaev (and possibly including Maskaev) all those wins would almost certainly be seen as the best if not in the top two or three of Wilder's entire career. I'd have picked Tua to tee off on Breazeale and also picked him to probably beat or certainly go close with everyone Wilder has faced bar Fury.

Can Dubois have a similar career to Tua? I don't see why not. If he does, that makes him better than Wilder in my opinion.

Wizbit1013 likes this.