Dumb question (pls don’t shame me)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Kamikaze, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze Bye for now! Full Member

Oct 12, 2020
    I hear he used to show his Yvon fight as a display of courage to young boys. And then the rematch to show if you don’t make the same mistakes you’ll have an easier life.

Entaowed and Richard M Murrieta like this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    I heard the same thing, he shook all of our hands after we watched the fights on film. He told us about the Boys Neighborhood Center he had the construction company build for us. All the advise he gave us stuck with me, like furthering my education, be law obedient, be civic minded, a great example to us. It is funny because I had just seen him on an episode of a weekly television sitcom, Family Affair which aired from 1966-1971.

Kamikaze likes this.
  3. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    Got any quotes from Archie? Or boxing/exercise advice maybe?

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  4. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    He did not give us advise on training methods but he said, Be Helpful In Your Community, and Obedient at school, Also With The Law. Further Your Education, Knowledge Is Priceless.

Saintpat and Kamikaze like this.
  5. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    A myth. One direct bite from the cobra and the mongoose is dead. It ain't venom proof.

cross_trainer likes this.
  6. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Patterson was called the rabbit by Ali. Maybe it was because he looked like he was hopping around the ring trying land his leaping left hook?

7. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Pounchin powar calculateur Full Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Mongooses are one of at least four known mammalian taxa with mutations in the
    This content is protected
    that
    Their modified receptors prevent the
    from binding. These represent four separate, independent mutations. In the mongoose, this change is effected, uniquely, by
    . (Wiki)

OOpsie.

Richard M Murrieta and Kamikaze like this.
  8. SolomonDeedes

SolomonDeedes Active Member Full Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I can't prove that it was the first time it was used, but the way the press reported Moore's mongoose analogy, it certainly didn't seem like they'd heard it before.

Kamikaze likes this.
  9. Saintpat

Saintpat Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Archie Moore devoted a good bit of his life to helping troubled and at-risk youth.

He had an organization in San Diego called ABC — Any Boy Can. I think it still lives on as the ABC Foundation.

His autobiography was also titled “Any Boy Can.” When I was young my mom would take me to the library every week and I read literally every boxing book they had. That was one of them. I was a fan of the Ol’ Mongoose before I ever saw him fight.

I don’t know of a better boxing role model, in and out of the ring, than Archie Mooe.

10. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Great Post.

Saintpat likes this.
  11. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    It seemed like the the only man Archie ever seemed to dislike was Ezzard when he was a younger man. Apart from that he was almost saintly.

Saintpat likes this.
  12. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    No, Ali said that Floyd was scared like a rabbit.
    A bit of his cruel side before he really deployed it heavily against the man who gave him money when he could not fight & interceded at the highest levels to help get him a boxing license again (Frazier).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Richard M Murrieta and Kamikaze like this.
  13. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    I have always had a hard time liking Ali who even likes a loud mouth who degrades his opponents?

14. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Understandable, & if your opponent is so bad, how good can your victory over him even be?
    Although Ali also had a great deal of redeeming qualities. Great charisma & charm, while he was not some sociopath who just shucked & jived people-he ha a big heart, did Good Works Great & small, was a creative thinker, leader in civil rights with his draft case, really tough when he needed to be to remain on top, inspirational to black folks especially & finally the whole world.

Yet his flaws involved an unintergrated personality re: his cruelty in some cases.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  15. Kamikaze

Oct 12, 2020
    He slept with an underaged girl, beat on his wives/teen lover and wanted race segregation. Not a good man.
    But- he was the toughest boxer to ever step into the ring he had the craziest will to win I ever seen. The disappointment on his face when he got dropped by Frazier was telling- There was no losing in grace he would pour it all out till the last second and go kicking and screaming into defeat.