Duran of the hagler fight vs Toney of the Nunn fight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Contro, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Contro

Contro Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Sadly these two were not close in natural size and age, if they were, it would have been a great fight stylistically and an all time great build up.
    Since the size disparity was significant i put the best MW version of Duran against a still green toney.
    How does the fight go and how do you imagine the build up? I think it would be classic. Neither man intimidated, both would be slinging the worst possible insults at each other.

2. BCS8

BCS8 VIP Member Full Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I'd take Duran. He was still pretty darn sharp and tough in there and gave Hagler a good go. Nunn was giving Toney a pasting until he ran out of gas.

3. Contro

Jun 7, 2016
    true but i can see nunn beating duran at MW as well. Nunn was a very difficult stylistic match up for toney. Not sure if duran's performance vs hagler and toney's vs nunn is really indicative of duran being "levels" above toney at MW. Toney had very long arms. duran would surely have to come to him, power is probably close at MW. both were slick and very good on the inside but duran had a major experience advantage which would give him an avantage in both those areas and would help him in the latter rounds. Im not sure

4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    I think Toney clearly outpoints him. So does the Michael Nunn who lost to Toney.

Sangria likes this.
  5. greynotsoold

greynotsoold Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 17, 2011
    That isn't what happened. In the 8th round Toney started landing the right hand. Up to that point Nunn was winning but he wasn't landing a bunch of clean punches and Toney was doing uncredited body work. That set up the straight right hand and from the 8th to the end it was all Toney.

6. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Because Nunn and Duran have so much in common? Actually Toney was breaking down Nunn.

greynotsoold and mrkoolkevin like this.
  7. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    A cracking fight, the build up is vicious with plenty of trash talking. Duran looks to be doing the better work in the early stages. Plenty of in in fighting from both guys. Then toney starts to build in confidence and its his shots that sets the pace. Both men put on a blistering last two rounds and there fighting after the bell. Both put there hands in the air. When the scores are read its a split in favour of the younger guy. But a great fight.

emallini likes this.
  8. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Agreed. Don't see what Nunn has to do with Duran and I don't recall thinking that Nunn was doing nearly as well as most folks here seem to. Maybe I need to rewatch?

greynotsoold likes this.
  9. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    No, others need to.

Smaller and slower Duran would be perfect for Toney. If Toney is in Tiberi bad condition he might lose (not sure, though, since Duran wouldn't be as bad a stylistically match-up as Tiberi was when Toney was that out of shape), otherwise I damn near would put my house on him.

10. Contro

Jun 7, 2016
    He had the upper hand but toney was doing subtle work, it was the kind of fight where nunn won most of the early rounds but toney was getting closer, "making investments"

greynotsoold likes this.
  11. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I think Duran has the ability and smarts to give Toney trouble...Duran gave Hagler trouble in spots...he would be capable of running closer to Toney...But with that said I'd pick Toney by decision.

Sangria likes this.
  12. Safetyman

Safetyman New Member Full Member

Dec 19, 2016
    Michael Nunn at the time was getting ahead of himself and James was young, fit and hungry. It is a pity they never danced again in the ring as I'm not sure of the result. James was in pristine condition that night and Michael had room for improvement. Certainly a night Nunn would like to redo I reckon. Duran v Toney would have been a good scrap.

BCS8 likes this.
  13. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I had it 6-4 rounds for Nunn. felt Toney was breaking him down. The reason that the scorecards were so lopsided is that the fight took place in Nunn's hometown and Nunn was the draw at the time

greynotsoold likes this.
  14. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    I'll go with Toney on this one, Toney's natural and best fighting weight,compared to Duran's at light/welterweight.

15. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Duran at this stage too savy for Toney. However if say Toney of McCallum fight 2
    then decision reversed and Toney on points.