Duran v Sibson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by lloydturnip, Oct 7, 2019.

1. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    The Duran who fought moore in 83 versus the Sibson who destroyed Collins..
    Obviously Duran was a ATG but at middle Tony was a very dangerous proposition.Hard hitting and not afraid of a war .Could Duran use his skills or would the natural middle weight come out on top ? would be fun.

Fergy likes this.
  2. Flash24

Flash24 Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Past prime Duran was able to frustrate Prime Marvin Hagler and win a few rds in a 15rd fight that went the distance... Prime Hagler Destroyed Sibson, and it wasn't close. Duran wouldn't do to Sibson what Hagler did, but if Duran is ready to fight he'd win, possibly/probably a late stoppage or Dec win.

3. ray fritz

ray fritz Active Member Full Member

Nov 4, 2018
  4. Xplosive

Xplosive Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 23, 2008
    The gap in class is too big for Sibson.

Duran takes him to school and stops him late.

5. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Duran would win, by KO around ten, but he'd be rocked by sibson several times . Would be a very enjoyable fight to watch.

6. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Obviously Duran is the greater fighter an ATG with the greater skills so you’d have to favour him here.
    The thing with Sibson was he was inconsistent, sometimes he turned up and he was sluggish and didn’t look greatly motivated, other times he turned up in great shape as he did against Collins was sharp with an intensity and when in that mode he was a very dangerous proposition.
    For a perceived slugger Sibson also had decent skills, a good jab, was pretty light on his feet, had fast hands and a left hook that could take your head off.
    I think Sibson would find the little nuances of Duran’s game difficult to solve both with Duran’s offence and defence and he would become frustrated, having this little guy right in front of him but unable to land cleanly and being countered.
    I think it would be a competitive fight though and good to watch. Duran though couldn’t get too careless because he certainly could be taken out by that left hook,
    Over 12 rounds I see Duran winning something like 8-4.

lloydturnip and roughdiamond like this.
  7. roughdiamond

roughdiamond Ridin' the rails... Full Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Duran wins a decision against the strong Sibson here, on account of his skill and guile.

8. Abysmal Brute1981

Abysmal Brute1981 Member banned Full Member

Oct 7, 2019
    This would be a tough fight. Sibson was in his prime and really strong. I don't think he hurts Duran but if he stayes busy and does his bulldog like charges then he will win a close decision in a great action fight. Sibson.

lloydturnip likes this.
  9. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    The Duran that fought Moore kicks his azz

Reinhardt likes this.
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    By the 10th round Sibson's face is hamburger, he's very tough and has a ton of heart so he may go the distance but this is a level above him

George Crowcroft, Tonto62 and Cecil like this.
  11. Ragamuffin

Ragamuffin Active Member Full Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Sibsons face would have been cut to ribbons. A gulf in class between the two.

12. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Sibbo by one sided UD at the very least. He's the natural MW and stronger man.
    Duran's greatness is undeniable but he would get overpowered by this guy.

13. JackSilver

JackSilver Boxing Addict Full Member

Jun 24, 2017
    Sibson would’ve KOed the light middleweight Moore as well.

Duran would have probably outpointed Sibson at middleweight but it wouldn’t have been easy. Sibson was rugged and had a left hook that hit like a mule which he showed when he almost took Alan Minters head off.

14. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Sibbo rugged and tough for sure but a little too one dimensional to beat Duran IMO even at middle. Tough affair due to the natural size difference but Duran for me.

15. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I’d go Duran, but it’s a tough night for him. I don’t think Sibbo gets stopped; just outdone, over the distance.

Cecil likes this.