Duran vs Julian Jackson 1989?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    After winning the title from barkley, Duran signs to fight Jackson in 89. After his classic win over Iran the same year Roberto is riding high in confidence.
    Could this be a mistake on Duran s part. Taking on one of the most devastating punchers at the weight how does Duran s chin hold up?. Can he pull off another amazing win?
    Or does Jackson add him to his list of ko victims?

2. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    In terms of boxing ability it's a no contest, although Jackson on that score is better than he's given credit for.
    I suppose people will bring up Hearns but stylistically and physically Duran never really had a chance there.
    This wouldn't be so much the case with Jackson although he's obviously the bigger man.
    If Duran is fit and had trained for this I think he can avoid the power shots of Jackson and eke out a decision frustrating Jackson along the way.
    One mistake though and even Duran for all his toughness and durability would be out of there.

KernowWarrior, lloydturnip and Contro like this.
  3. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This would be like walking in a mine field for Duran...one mistake, one lapse, and unlike when he recovered from being hit cleanly by Barkley, this one would over....as emphatically as with Hearns.

4. Fergy

Fergy Walking Dead Full Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Yep I didn't think of the hearns fight with this match up. I don't no why, whenever it's just that Duran seems sturdy as a middle,and more chance of taking a big punch. I think he takes this one, if he s well trained and fit and doesn't lapse in concentration. He ll be in and out and using the defense he can be so good at. He should take a decision. But like u say if Jackson G et s him with a Herol bomber shot, well it could be clean ko.

5. Bokaj

Bokaj Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The mileage Duran gets H2H at MW for winning a close decision over Barkley that could have gone either way...

I think Jackson was superior to Barkley in every aspect except chin, and I don't think that will play a large part here. Sooner or later he catches up to Roberto and finishes him.

Birmingham likes this.
  6. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    1989? Duran is 10-12 years past his true prime. Jackson by TKO.

Birmingham likes this.
  7. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Duran fought brutal war with Barkley and didn't walk into huge haymaker like Hearns did.
    Hearns destruction was set up by jabs and body punches. If Duran could out smart Barkley
    then he could do the same with Jackson. Duran on points.

Fergy and lloydturnip like this.
  8. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Duran of Hagler beats Jackson by UD. Too slick, too smart.
    Duran of Barkley might lose here.

hdog and lloydturnip like this.
  9. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    I don't know if Duran could take those kinds of bombs at age 37 anymore. Sure he fought a war with Barkley but Jackson was one of the hardest hitters of all time at 154-160. Not 100% sure either way.

10. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Duran if in good shape and up for it takes Jackson apart .one mistake and Duran is in big trouble but apart from big power Jackson was very average.

Fergy likes this.
  11. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I do not think it is fair to label Jackson as: "average." In addition to his ATG power (which, by the way, was in BOTH hands), he also had good speed and above average boxing ability. He may not have been as slick as Herol Graham, but, he is damn sure as skilled (if not more so) than most of the titleholders over the last 10-20 years at middleweight even without considering his deadly power.

That being said, Duran could still win this. But, just like with Graham, one lapse could end it in Jackson's favor.

young griffo likes this.
  12. lloydturnip

lloydturnip Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    Don't rate Jackson very highly .great puncher not much else speed and boxing both ok the way mc cullem took him apart in two after being hurt shows his true level.He also used to get cut and marked up with his power often getting him out of trouble.

13. laxpdx

laxpdx Boxing Addict Full Member

Oct 1, 2006
    I can envision a match in which Duran is winning comfortably on points through superior boxing skills. But at these higher weights, Duran tired quicker, and feel it's only a matter of time before JJ lands that Hearns-style hammer sending Duran to the canvas.

14. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I think Duran can win a decision.

He'll throw short shots inside Jackson's bombs.

At that point in time, Jackson was unproven at 160 lbs and really had only beaten Norris at 154. Duran was more durable than Norris and won't fight in an overconfident manner, like Norris did. Duran by close decision.

Reinhardt likes this.
  15. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Jackson was not as great a force at middleweight, Duran would be wary of Julians power and look to counter, it would be hard For Julian to load up on Roberto, I see Duran connecting with big right hands and fighting a controlled fight. If Jackson wobbles in the 10th or 11th Duran stops him