Dwight Muhammad Qawi at Cruiser

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Jpreisser, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Jpreisser

Jpreisser Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Qawi was clearly not as good as he was at 175, though he was still a force to be reckoned with. Had Holyfield not been there, what more could Qawi have accomplished?

Could he have beaten De Leon and become "the man"? Could he have pounded out a few successful defenses before hitting a wall?

PhillyPhan69 likes this.
  2. salsanchezfan

salsanchezfan Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Yes, he'd have stayed at the top for another couple defenses. Deleon had nothing to hold him off with and Parkey was too uneven and skitchy a style to do much.

3. BundiniBlack

BundiniBlack Well-Known Member Full Member

May 20, 2015
    Qawi is VERY overrated H2H at cruiser and LHW. Several years ago someone made a thread Adamek vs Qawi and people were acting like it was the biggest mismatch they had ever heard in their life.

Heck just a few months ago there was a thread where people were picking him to KO Hopkins at LHW

4. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Why do you find him so overrated? What did he do that was so lacking?

5. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    Not much. Age and lack of conditioning were becoming factors. A great fight in 86 would have been Qawi v. Bert Cooper. Dwight would have won because of better defense but I think it would have been a war. Dwight may have kept winning for awhile W/out Holyfield around but would have probably started stinking out the joint a La a faded Carlos Deleon. I could envision those two having a boring unification match around 1987.

Holyfield did save the division but he did not face absolute prime Deleon or Qawi.

6. Saad54

Saad54 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Dec 10, 2014
    I could see him beating Hopkins at 175 with workrate. He may not stop Bernard, however. Dwight was a hungry beast for a few years at 175 lbs.

7. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    versatility

8. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Prime DeLeon in 1980 could beat Holyfield 15 rds.

9. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    I think BHop figures him out and slows the pace to a crawl leaving Qawi frustrated and getting pot shotted with right hands

10. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Well, like what, he couldn't jab and dance? Neither could Marciano,Frazier, Lamotta, Basilio, etc. Etc.......

11. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    I cant speak about Marciano Lamotta and Basillo but yes Frazier has a lot of the same limitations as Qawi it's more about pace he couldnt fight at a slow pace. And Bernard is the master of dictating pace.

12. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    He was a master of dictating pace against lesser-schooled guys who simply allowed him space. I wouldn't say he "denied" them anything. Qawi steamrolls him.

13. AwardedSteak863

AwardedSteak863 Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 16, 2018
    BHOP vs Qawi would be a very intriguing fight. I think the world of both but at lightheavyweight I would favor Qawi. Qawi aside from being tough as nails (like Hopkins) he was very good defensively and I think would push BHOP to fight at a pace that would be tough for him to sustain.

As far as Qawi as a CW. We all saw what he did against a prime Holyfield. That alone shows the caliber of fighter he was. To bad the booze got the best of him at the end of his career.

14. BundiniBlack

May 20, 2015
    Qawi is "lesser schooled" than all of BHops best opponents. Even at Qawi's pace BHop can still be competitive but if it slows down BHop dominates and Qawi will struggle to get it back to his pace

15. salsanchezfan

Aug 22, 2004
    Ugh.