Dwight Muhammad Qawi vs Marvin Hagler

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by dpw417, Nov 28, 2007.

1. dpw417

dpw417 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 13, 2007
    I know....I know...
    It's not exactly a fair fight. But back in the early '80's, I really wanted this fight to happen. Marvin Hagler made the right decision to stay at middle..But the styles and personalities of these fighters really captured my imagination....Suppose it would have happened?
    Humor me.... I think it would have been possibly a great fight...
    The Hagler from the Sibson fight (Hagler looked so sharp and accurate with his punches) against Qawi from the second Sadd fight (Qawi was so intense it was scary). Outside chance?... Could the faster jabbing southpaw outpoint the shorter Qawi?
    Who and why?

2. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Qawi's prolly as fast, hits harder i'd say, takes as good a shot, easily as good stamina wise, better inside, better defensively, is stronger, works the body better etc etc. Also highly motivated and very intense at his peak. It's Qawi's fight for sure.

George Crowcroft likes this.
  3. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Qawi would be a difficult night for any 175 in history.

4. GoldenHulk

GoldenHulk Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I think Qawi beats Hagler by UD. I know that Dwight wanted to fight Hagler, but couldnt make it down to middleweight, and Marvin didn't want to go up to light heavyweight.

5. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Qawi would stop Hagler late. Like with Spinks, wise choise for Hagler not to move up.

Reinhardt and The Morlocks like this.
  6. PhillyPhan69

PhillyPhan69 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Dec 20, 2006
    I like Hagler alot....but ther are reasons he never tried to go above MW...IMO a wise decision. Qawi is a beast and naturally the bigger man...Hagler may have an iron chin at middle but I don't see him lastin 10 in this one

7. dpw417

Jul 13, 2007
    Agreed. In fact, I'd take Qawi against Foster:think . Qawi was very strong light heavy!

8. dpw417

Jul 13, 2007
    I totally agree with your statement about Qawi's strength...but I don't thinkl Hagler would even attempt to match strength with the light heavy....I think that he would fight Qawi similar to his fight with Briscoe, jabbing and moving....Marvin had very good hand speed and footwork. I really do not see a stoppage at all, Qawi would have to work very hard at cutting off the ring, and forcing the exchanges. With Hagler strictly boxing however:think ....I think it's close:thumbsup

9. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    A prime Braxton/Qawi was too strong for even Saad Muhammad.

A middleweight Hagler couldn't keep Qwai off of him....and JoeCal
    of this era would be bouncing BB's off Dwight who would just laugh at
    him thru his mouthpiece.

10. birddog

birddog Active Member Full Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Big Hagler fan here but Dwight would be too much for him. I don't agree with JT regarding Qawi being a better in fighter than Marvin, I think it's a pretty even there. But Dwight would just be too strong and relentless nonetheless.

Hagler knew he was a natural Middleweight, and knew better than try to move up. Also he was a culmulative puncher with good power at middleweight, but not great power, which wouldn't serve him well againt LH's. Meaning he couldn't keep Dwight off him, also don't think he would be able to pull a leonard and just peck and move and pile up points.

Decision Qawi, Hagler's grill is too hard for him to be stopped

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, at 175 Qawi IMO is definitely the better infighter. On a P4P basis it would tighten, but in this fight at 175 i really don't think Marvin can battle it out inside with Qawi. I do think Qawi is superb inside practicioner, huge arms and shoulders used well defensively in close.

12. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I really don't understand the people who say Hagler would be stopped by Qawi or Michael Spinks. The same people would pick Eddie Gregory to stop him and probably Marvin Johnson as well. It's ridiculous. 'Just' because of fifteen pounds in weight... As I've said many a time before, a fighter doesn't go from being practically invincible to fairly stoppable just because he moves up a bit. Especially a fighter as skilled and experienced as Hagler.

13. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    You back again? Testosterone gone down? Qawi by dec,Hagler had an all time great chin,it would take a Foster or Moore to stop him ,and thats not a given.

14. Manassa

Manassa - banned

Apr 6, 2007
    I never left :huh

15. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I thought you were ranting about the paucity of intelligent debate on here and swearing at us mere mortals,aand had decided to grace us with your presence no more,oh well,seems we are stuck with you.

Reinhardt likes this.