Eamonn Magee to be in Scotty Harrisons corner!

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Dunky McCafferty, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Dunky McCafferty

Dunky McCafferty Boxing Junkie banned

Aug 24, 2004
    Trainer Battles To Save Harrison Career

[url]
    This content is protected
    [/url] By Chris Roberts
    Boxing Special... Breen Ready To Save Fallen Hero
    VETERAN trainer John Breen reckons he is facing the fight of his life - saving the boxing career of Scott Harrison.

The fallen world champion has asked Belfast coach Breen to help him rebuild his life and career after announcing he had given up the booze.
    Breen single-handedly helped Eamonn Magee become king of the world after controversy out with the ring but he believes Harrison is facing an even bigger fight to overcome his drink problems.
    He said: "Eamonn was never an alcoholic. Eamonn liked his drink but he wasn't an alcoholic. He was still drinking and loved drinking. But Eamonn could walk away when he wanted. Scott couldn't do that so this is going to be an even bigger fight.

"He is one mouthful away from going back on the drink.
    "He will always be an alcoholic but he is determined to put things right."
    Magee will also team up with Breen and Harrison when he arrives in Belfast at the end of the week to start preparing for his big comeback.
    The Scot has been facing a constant battle with the bottle and the law having been out of the ring for 23 months.
    But Breen's close friend Michael Hughes will take Harrison into his house and keep him away from the booze.

He said: "There is a pal of mine who Scott will be living with. Michael doesn't drink or smoke so I owe him a lot for this.
    "He is a big gentle man. He will be a rock for him and they both get on well. We can all see a glimmer of hope now.
    "Eamonn will also be in the corner and be right behind Scott. He says we have a chance to get him back on track and that's what we will do."
    Breen insists Harrison has been off the drink for 14 weeks and believes the 30-year-old when he says he'll be world champion again.
    The Cambuslang fighter will step up to super-featherweight and Breen said: "Scott said 'John I am going to win the world title again'. I looked into his eyes and I saw his determination.

"I can see the strength and determination. If he says he can do it then he can do it."
    Breen encouraged a reluctant Harrison to get into the ring at a show in Dublin on Saturday.
    The trainer said: "I said 'get into the ring' and he said 'no I am too embarrassed. What do the fans want to see me for?' But he looks a millions dollars.
    "The applause he got was fantastic and shows people still love him."

2. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Good Luck to Harrison, I lost a 37yo friend this week to liver failure induced by alcoholism. Its a bloody war day in and day out in itself to get off the booze.

You may remember me as a big Harrison critic but I'll be in his corner for his comeback because he must be going through allot. Although on the other hand his twatish behaviour starting up fights is offputting.

It'll be interesting to see what he does at lightweight. He should have fought the MAB-Morales winner/loser or Marquez when he had the chance. he may have stood a chance against old versions of MAB/Morales. I dont see fights like those ever happening now.

3. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Also if these arent title fights what will Harrison fight at? If they arent title fights you dont really want to weight drain. Scott Harrison without weight draining would be at Welterweight because he was around 140-146 on fight night in most of his fights.

Also do we know if hes looking to campaign at 130 or 135 when he gets a title fight?

4. achillesthegreat

achillesthegreat FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Time to put the demons to rest Scotty. Let em ave it.

Harrison isn't a Calzaghe or Hatton but hes always been above the domestic dross that people think will be elite fighters.

Harrison was a quality titlist.

5. victorhugo4222

victorhugo4222 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 29, 2007
    From what ive read hes to fight at SF but been told there will be a big announcement in 2 weeks time so fingers crossed.

how about Scotland having 2 genuine world Champs Scotty and Arthur but also a few on the brink of european success also Simpson and Anderson. Looking good for Scottish boxing with also the potential of Craig McEwan, Kenny Anderson and Paul Appleby.

6. Kolya

Kolya Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Go for it Scotty, kick the bottles' ass and come back strong. Make Scotland proud. :happy

7. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
  8. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    I got a BAD feeling Scotty could be fighting Arthur soon.

a warm up fight then a battle of Scotland with Arthur, thats what I think Warrens up to. warren despises Scotty, its on record.

Scottys been out for a long time, so just one warm up fight before a fight with Arthur I think is bad news for Harrison, as he will need more than one comeback fight before hes ready for a class act like Arthur, who is just hitting his peak nicely. & I say that as a Scotty fan!

However, I have a gut feeling that Warren is going to throw Harrison in with Arthur too soon to teach him a lesson for ****ing him about, & make a shitload of money in the process.

I speak s a Harrison nuthugger though, so I am entitled to be paranoid:D

9. GazOC

GazOC Guest Star for Team Taff Full Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Funny you should bring up Harrision-Arthur Dunky. Frank Warren was in the paper either yesterday or the day before wishing Harrision all the best in his comeback and saying what a great guy he was to work with. I know he hates Harrision and my first thought was 'whats that ****er after?'.... I think you've just answered the question.....

10. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    well Gaz my good man, I hope I am wrong. However, theres talk from warrens camp saying this is 'the only fight that makes sense'...

Of course its Scottys own fault. His past antics mean hes backed into a corner, & as Warren still 'owns' him, he has to walk to whatever tune is played. Especially as Scottys father says if Scotty doesnt get a fight before the end of the year, Scottys kids wont be getting any christmas presents. The financial situation is that bad.

Im actualy worried that Foster jnr may 'pull out' of his fight with Arthur, & Harrison will step in. It was my pal who put that to me, & although I disagreed at the time, it makes more sense by the day.

But, as I say I am a Scotty nuthugger so I am entitled to be paranoid:D

Oh & before the poster 'Robbi' comes in explaining what a nuthugger means, I know what it means & thats why I call myself one. Just to save you the bother Robbi.

Sorry to have to mention another poster whilst I was conversing with you Gaz, but telling the guy early means I dont have to make another post:good

11. GazOC

Jan 7, 2005
    No worries Dunky:good

I suppose from Warrens point of view he just needs to get Harrision in against Arthur before anything derails the fight like Harrison going back on the drink or losing a warm up fight. He can't afford to take the risk of giving Harrision the 2 or 3 warm up fights he probably needs before taking on Arthur?

12. Dunky McCafferty

Aug 24, 2004
    Thats true. Warren has is arse well & truly covered with this one. Hes going to come out of this smelling of roses no matter what happens

Of course, theres always the Gomez fight... When Barry Hughes was trying to get Harrison to come back the last time it was reported Scotty would come back aginst Gomez at the Kelvin hall... & as Gomez got beat by Johanneson hes got nowhere really to go just now, & a fight with Harrison makes sense.

****, can you imagine the build up to Scotty vs Gomez? That would be ****in crazy.

13. GazOC

Jan 7, 2005
    :lol: I'd even pay to go to the weigh in....;)

14. elle

elle Journeywoman Full Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Harrison v Arthur - the interest in that fight if it ever happened would be huge. Hope Scotland have got a venue large enough as they'd need it!

It takes a lot of bottle (no pun intended) to face up to your problems
    and I hope Harrison wins his battle with the booze and can resurrect his career successfully.

I have my reservations about him declaring his comeback so publicly as I feel he has perhaps put himself under even more pressure now. Its understandable as I suspect his pride was hurt after all the negative press reports and that brought out his fighting spirit again but I can't help feeling it may have been better for him to try and rebuild his life in private (which is difficult enough) rather than openly declaring his intention - if he fails again his detractors may be even more critical.

15. kerrminator

kerrminator Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Sometimes the only way an alcoholic can clean their act up is if they were so bad they ended up practically in the gutter and it gives them the wake up call they require and Scotts story of rags to riches then back to rags again through the drink fits the bill perfectly.

If he comes back against AAA in his 1st fight he might be lacking in stamina etc and suffer a los after a pure war but I reckon if he trains properly and looks good in his comeback fight then Scott will have a realistic chance of winning imo.