Early 90s Tyson would wreck Liston in a slug fest

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by InMemoryofJakeLamotta, Aug 2, 2020.

1. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    You're strange poster...

2. Charlietf

Charlietf Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Tyson had better hook and upper and it is not particularly close. Ridiculous comment

3. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Liston had extremely hard left hook. They used it differently, so I don't want to say which one is better but the only ridiculous thing here is acting like it's not close.

4. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    It is not close, your comment is laughable

moneytheman12 likes this.
  5. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    Chin=Liston
    Size=Liston
    Reach=Liston
    Weight/height=Liston
    Recover=Liston
    Punch=Liston
    Strenght=Liston
    Intimidation=Liston
    Speed=Tyson
    Winner=Liston by KO inside of 5 rounds!

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  6. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm just responding to your claim "Prime Tyson was better than Liston in every single department, every one".

It's simply untrue old mate.

7. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Sure, believe in whatever you want ;)

8. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    So a jab now is a department in boxing... I see

9. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    To me it is - quite an important one on the whole. You don't consider the jab to be?

10. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    The jab is a blow, not a "department". Liston maybe had better jab but Tyson had much better and wider Arsenal overall

11. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    We differ departmentally then one might say!! LOL

There's no "maybe" about Liston having a better jab.

12. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    And there is no "maybe" about Tyson having better and wider arsenal of blows overall and being much better and more complete boxer overall

13. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Well i never said other but i'm not so sure it's that cut and dried at all. I wouldn't call Tyson a "much better" boxer. I don't think he was necessarily "more complete" either. What blows did Liston lack? Liston could fight effectively at long range, mid range and inside. Tyson couldn't fight at long range and he was easily tied up inside. He was of course awesome at mid range.

On close inspection there are holes in your statement. I'm not sure Tyson would beat Liston either. It's a very even match for mine and i might narrowly favor Sonny.

14. Charlietf

Feb 25, 2020
    Tyson Was bigger faster and stronger and did hit harder too. He was more skilled,he had better deffence, he had better more proven chin,his legacy is greater and he fought much better and bigger oposition than liston did. Tyson fought a lot of big (bigger than Liston) ponderous punchers and he did beat all them, liston never fought an animal like Tyson.I think that it is no brainer.

15. JohnThomas1

Apr 27, 2005
    Tyson was heavier but was he really bigger? Liston is 3" taller and has a foot of reach on him. That negates any weight difference for mine.

Chin? Liston had no trouble for a decade and a half excepting what was very likely a dive. Even then he was back up and boxing on and amid the chaos they stopped it on what was almost a technicality. Tyson took a fine punch but was briefly stunned against the likes of Bruno, Tucker and Smith via single punches.

Faster and stronger? Faster for sure but not stronger. Tyson was nothing in clinches and utilising strength was never his game.

Better legacy? Yes. I'd have him just above Liston somewhere in the bottom half of the ten.

Tyson beat a lot of bigger punchers than Liston? I'm not convinced of that as Liston punched like a mule. He's right up there with the likes of Foreman and Tyson. You are right to call them ponderous on the whole.

Liston's destruction's of Patterson rank with any two wins of Tyson. Patterson shades ATG status and would rank higher on the heavyweight lists than any Tyson victims. Tyson has a good body of work overall for mine and his resume is underrated. Douglas and Holyfield are a big stain however.

Liston never fought an animal like Tyson but Tyson never fought anyone like Liston either. Tyson never fought a prime bonafide heavyweight ATG. Liston would meet him head on and try to catch him jumping in. Liston had plenty of gears and could adapt in there when needed. Tyson has one gear. It wins or it loses.