Early estimates Wilder vs Fury does over 300k PPV buys (US only)

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by james5000, Dec 4, 2018.

1. james5000

james5000 2010's poster of the decade Full Member

Apr 11, 2010
    This content is protected

2. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    WilderFury2 does over 1 million easy

The sheer social media noise post fight was huge

WilderFury was supposed to be a mismatch, Wilder was cherry picking an inactive bloke who looked bum level in his previous 2 fights

WilderFury2 is the 2 best heavyweights on the planet going toe2toe

add in the controversial decision and the fact the 1st fight was extremely entertaining, you have yourself a mega fight.

3. Nonito Smoak

Nonito Smoak Ioka>Lomo, sorry my dudes Full Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Surprised, would be impressed though...

Funny, the sentiment on the fight seemed to be "utter stinker" until the 12th round. Don't get too carried away with a late KD and controversial decision, fellas.

FastSmith7 and The Ogdoad like this.
  4. gdm

gdm Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Mar 20, 2011
    1 mil without hispanic boxer in the main event it’s literally impossible .

Dance84 and Potato80 like this.
  5. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    True,

Two biggest fights of all times MayMac & MayPac were great hispanic fights lol

WilderFury has gone well beyond boxing IMO, it has gone mainstream

Some videos I have seen of the fight are well over 2 million views, some over 5 million!!!!

Its all over ESPN first take and Joe Rogan podcast, Wilder and Fury have both been on talkshows already lol

6. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    That's a decent number for a fighter headlining their first PPV, obviously nowhere near Wilder's crazy 2.5 mill claim but nowhere near as bad as it could of been.

That's a total revenue of $24 mill, less than Joshua makes for fighting most opponents but it gives Wilder some more leverage to ask for a bigger split. With Showtime taking their usual 10% of the top and then spitting the rest evenly which is the usual PPV model for divvying up the revenue then the fighters are splitting $10.8 mill just from the PPV not including the live gate, plus there will be overseas sales, mainly from the UK. I expect both of them to earn in excess of $10 mill once all revenue is accounted for, that's obviously a very good payday for both.

I think a 60/40 split would be fair now for Joshua/Wilder and I wouldn't of said that before.

andrewa1, Sugar 88 and Badbot like this.
  7. Badbot

Badbot I Am An Actual Pro. Full Member

Apr 17, 2011
    Damn. So I was right.
    Great result, the rematch should crack 400k.

I said from the beginning that two guys making their PPV debut won't get over 400k. And 400k would have been an exceptional result.
    With so much controversy(and it being a great fight), the next PPV should do about 100-150k more. (Look at the RJJ-Tarver trilogy or Manny-Marquez)

I wonder what the official gate was. They only sold about 50% of the tickets, but those were some expensive ass tickets.

Willie Maeket and Sugar 88 like this.
  8. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    This.
    They now have a platform to work off of. And they have a great product to sell.
    I am excited for the rematch.

Willie Maeket likes this.
  9. Brighton bomber

Brighton bomber Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 4, 2005
    If they really did only sell half the seats then I'd say about $5 mill based on what Mayweather/Berto did which had similar priced tickets and did $10 mill for a near full house in a similar sized venue.

I said the same about being over 400K. 400K would of been an amazing result for a debut headline PPV, nobody has done over 400K on a debut not Pac, not Oscar, not even Mayweather. So 320K or a but more is a decent result and Wilder, Fury and his fans should be happy it did so well.

Badbot likes this.
  10. james5000

Apr 11, 2010
    The event was full, did you not watch the fight, it was a sell out?

It will sure do exponentially more buys than the 1st, a bit like FrochGroves vs FrochGrove2

Both guys really legitimized each other and Tyson has become a bit of media darling the US press love his fun charismatic nature.
    Even Wilder has come across really well in the media, and his punching power is now at legendary status!!!

andrewa1 likes this.
  11. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    320k is about right for someones first PPV fight.

Just thinking there were people predicting 1 mil buys lol.

Jay1990, Guybino and Badbot like this.
  12. Badbot

Apr 17, 2011
    It won't do drastically more. It just doesn't work like that in the U.S. market. They might not sell more at all if they end up increasing the PPV price.
    It wasn't a sellout, not even close to it. They didn't even open up the entire venue, but i digress. Days before the event, there was still an enormous amount of tickets available.
    This is why there is "attendance" and then "paid attendance".

KiwiMan and Puroresu_Fan like this.
  13. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    This was said plenty of times yet some believed this was different and because it was HW it changes everything. As soon as Espinoza said he would be delighted with 400k buys we then had our ceiling.

14. Puroresu_Fan

Apr 6, 2016
    I think they have a chance of doing 600k in a rematch.

15. minemax

minemax Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Probably less than 1 million, but two, maybe even three times more than the first fight.

andrewa1 likes this.