Earnie Shavers Power?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I wasn’t even talking about who was the better fighter, I just said that Wlad has better punching technique, good technique=more power and vitali would throw arm punches

TipNom, BCS8, Johnny_B and 2 others like this.
  2. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Although I think that Vitali likely beats Wlad head-to-head, no way in hell Vitali hits harder than Wlad.

TipNom, BCS8, Johnny_B and 2 others like this.
  3. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    Again Vitali did better against common oponents and was never knocked out!
    He was able to push oponents around and knock them with right hand while Wlad just run,hold and tore his oponents to settle them for big right hand!
    Tyson had better techinque than Foreman who punches woth arms but stil Tyson never punched not near as hard as Foreman!
    Viatli oposition,KO ratio and his abillities to push everyone proves he was stronger than his younger brother!

4. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    He did!
    Better KO ratio,opistion,showed better strenght and was never knocked out!

5. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Yeah, one person says something you might be skeptical.

But ALL of them are lying? All these guys who have been hit by Shavers and by guys you consider better punchers just made it up — let me ask, did they conspire together or did is this some form of mass hysteria that they all caught independently?

Or maybe they are all pathological liars who just all happened to become top-tier heavyweight boxers.

Oh, and why Shavers? Why didn’t they come up with Jimmy Young as the hardest hitter if they’re secretly covering for the real hard hitters?

I know this much: their opinion means a lot more than someone who hasn’t been hit by ANY of the people discussed as the hardest hitter of all time. They actually know what they’re talking about.

6. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    The whole “technique=power” thing is more of a guideline for the basics of boxing. I don’t really think it applies when comparing raw power between world class punchers. Especially not Heavyweights.

Entaowed likes this.
  7. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    It is not hard to understand at all--Shavers usually lost the big ones, and fighters don't like to give credit to the guys that beat them.

I already said that I am not calling them liars, per se, so you are now engaged in idiot talk.

Good luck to you, knob.

8. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    You can’t even be honest with yourself. Your own words on this very thread: “people tell untruths” ... but no, you’re not saying they’re lying.

Yes, you are. And all of these guys lied and happened to choose the same guy to name the hardest hitter they ever fought.

Please explain your reasoning for why they chose Earnie of all people if they all, for whatever reason, decided to tell a lie about who was the hardest hitter? Random draw? One of them said it and the others said, ‘Yeah, I don’t want to say who really hit me the hardest, Ali said Shavers so I’ll go with what he said.’

Basically if they don’t agree with you — who have never been hit by Shavers or anyone else — then they must be lying. That’s the ticket.

Too bad you can’t have a civil, reasonable conversation so instead resort to name-calling (and calling great fighters all liars ... or ‘untruth-tellers’).

Brockton Rock likes this.
  9. Eddie Ezzard

Eddie Ezzard Boxing Addict Full Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Why don't we all stop the back and forth bickering and just settle this once and for all and get the opinion of someone who actually knows?

Yoo hoo, Johnny B. Where are you?

10. Saintpat

Jun 26, 2009
    What part of ‘Earnie Shavers is the hardest puncher I have ever faced” could be a partial truth?

Did Shavers partially hit them harder than others? If he only partially landed and it’s still the hardest they’ve been hit, then he really is the hardest puncher ever.

Or did they only partially fight him? You’ll have to explain that one to me.

Stop calling great fighters liars and just try to have a civil discourse. I believe you’ve got it in you. You have to be able to do better than you have so far, so let’s debate this like adults.

11. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    This content is protected

Chris Byrd said Wladmir hit 3x harder than his brother. Could be a slight exaggeration, but he fought the Klitschko more than anyone. I think it's a safe bet that Wladmir hits harder.

Holmes said Tyson was faster and sharper while Shavers had more raw power. Like a speeding Ferrari vs a truck.

George Chuvalo said something similar comparing Frazier and Quarry to Foreman

"George Foreman was very heavy handed and there was a different feel to his shots. The best analogy would be Joe Frazier and Jerry Quarry hitting you was equivalent to being struck by a car at 100 mph, but when George landed it was like being hit by a mac truck at 50 mph. There was more weight in his punches"

Holyfield (on multiple occasions) and Chuck Wepner stated without doubt Foreman hit them the hardest:

That's quite a statement considering that the sheer number of heavy hitters they faced.

Wladmir Klitschko went with Sanders

"Corrie Sanders: He was very fast and he had really powerful hands. I’ve been in boxing for 25 years and I never fought anybody in this game that punched like Corrie Sanders."

Muhammad Ali, Joe Bugner, Young, Cobb, Norton, Lyle, and Caldwell all picked Shavers:

Interestingly, Caldwell said Foreman and Lyle's power was "about the same" and looking at their fight it does seem to be true. Foreman even said Lyle hit him the hardest in his entire career, and Shavers and Bugner both gave Lyle his props as a hard hitter.

Bugner, Young, and Norton all lost to Shavers so they have no reason to lie and aren't trying to boast.

James Tillis of course had his hilarious rant about Shavers' power and claimed he hit harder than Tyson

Pinklon Thomas claimed Morrison hit harder than Tyson

"TOMMY MORRISON: Mike Weaver had a big left hook, a good right hand. He hit me with one punch and I felt it big time. I felt Berbick’s punch. Tyson to be honest, the first round was crazy because he was knocking everyone out. I knew he was going to come out strong like that, but after the second round I kind of had Tyson figured out. He wasn’t really reaching me with big punches. It didn’t happen till after the fifth round when my glove got split; I got hit and my right shoulder popped out. I would say when I got hit by [Tommy] Morrison it was like being hit by a baseball bat. I got hit to the ribs and my leg came up, I got hit with one punch and my eye split. Tommy hit me harder than anyone else I was ever hit by."

Michael Spinks says Tyson hit him the hardest

Fury says Wilder hit him the hardest. Sparring partners who fought today's era. Of heavies pick Wilder. Chris Arreola says Vitali hit him with booming shots that hurt because he was like a hammer going through you, but Wilder hit him like an explosive whip (note: wilder had a broken hand against Arreola and still stopped him faster than Vitali did). Arreola sparred with Wladmir and said him and Wilder hit the same with a stinging explosive whip like sensation.

https://youtu.be/dBG8y2RQMq4

So far it looks like for 70's through 90's

Shavers>young Foreman>/=Lyle>>old Foreman>Morrison>Tyson>Cooney>Frazier=Quarry

For post 2000's era it looks like

Wilder>/=Wladmir>Sanders>/=Vitali>/=/<Joshua

Sorting through all that across eras is pretty difficult

12. sweetsci

sweetsci Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Years ago I read that some organization figured out that Rocky Marciano hit with more force than the most powerful handgun available at the time. Apparently they had some sort of punching bag that measured force, and Rocky's punch was measured as having more power than the handgun.

Assuming the story is true, does anyone know if that force-measuring device has been used again? Seems like that's the only way an argument like this could be settled. If they had data on every hard punching boxer, that is.

William Walker likes this.
  13. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    I agree he is the tougher, more durable man. But, he doesn't punch harder. I am the farthest thing from a Wlad fan. But, he did punch really hard.

Johnny_B likes this.
  14. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Now your talking about who’s the better fighter, this thread is about punching power not who was better, and vitali knocked more guys out because he was far more durable than Wlad. I think if Wlad had vitali’s chin he would have been much more aggressive, take more risk, and have a much higher ko%

Johnny_B likes this.
  15. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    By the time I finished reading this I forgot who wrote it and had to scroll back up to check.