Earnie Shavers Power?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Jul 25, 2020.

1. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    Norton is a great scalp, but he was past his prime at this point.

2. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Maher is not highly ranked because he fought 130 years ago and we don't have any film of him. It's not because he's not powerful enough.

3. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    This is a good argument. And it could be argued that Norton gave away the last of his best against Larry (Larry, being younger, was able to bounce back quick).

70sFan865 likes this.
  4. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    I'm very high on Norton, but his best years ended with the end of Holmes fight. He was never the same after that. I don't think prime Norton would have been destroyed by Shavers and Cooney as quickly.

5. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    He was ranked #1. He was the WBC champion 9 months before Shavers stopped him in 1. Spare me the he was washed up talk. There isn't anything a boxer can do better to prove their punching power aside from stopping a reigning champion.

Maher did neither.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why Marciano's resume gets a pass since all his best KO's were men nearly 40 because they were ranked in the top 10. Either knocking out a top 10 opponent validates punching power or it doesn't, take your pick.

6. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I don't think you can take away from the manner of Shavers' victory over Norton, too much, on the strength of it having occurred after Holmes/Norton - it was less than a year after, with Norton returning with a Win, in between, and him going the distance with a prime contender, after the Shavers Loss.

The Cooney/Norton bout took place more than two years after Shavers beat Norton, after Norton had already announced a retirement. Lumping Shavers' and Cooney's KOs of Norton into the same bag doesn't do Shavers justice, in my opinion.

7. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Fair enough, although it doesn't prove that I'm wrong. Even the best fighters can become dminished after tough fight (Holmes). But you have a point - it's a great win over top tier contender.
    Well, technically it was talked that he knocked out Fitzsimmons (there was a controversy about their first fight).
    There was no ranking during Maher's era, but he stopped Goddard who was definitely a top contender (just avoided). He also stopped Choynski who was always top tier contender (their fight was called an eliminator to Corbett fight).
    I'm not sure why you bring it up. I'm not Marciano supporter.

8. 70sFan865

May 30, 2019
    Fair enough, let's give him full credit for Norton's stoppage. Maher still had at least comparable top stoppages and better overall resume.

9. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I have to completely agree with you here, my friend.

70sFan865 likes this.
  10. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    The most you can (and should) say about Shavers was that he was possibly the hardest puncher of his era. Since that includes a prime Foreman that's not a bad statement to have made about you, but ultimately it's still just a guessing game, and Foreman had much more quality stoppages on his resume anyway.

In no way, shape or form can you categorically state that Shavers was the biggest puncher of all time. Personally I think a number of HWs from the 80s, 90s and 2000s hit harder than him, but again not something that can be proved (or disproved).

One thing I'll say about Shavers with a reasonable degree of certitude is that he was probably one of the hardest punching cruiserweights of all time. That he was able to command so much respect against 220-230 lbs guys at a fleshy 210lbs says a lot about his P4P power.

moneytheman12 and Johnny_B like this.
  11. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014

We aren't really disagreeing, then.

12. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    It does you idiot!
    Foreman and Shavers had bigger KO ratio than Tyson for a reason!
    Almost everyone?Chisora,Ross,Byrd...all stated Vitali was stronger,tougher and punched harder dummy!
    If Chuvalo had better chin than Frazier why he didn't have that KO ratio?

13. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    No it doesn't. Just go away from this forum, you're ******ed. Everybody has told you you're stupid.

Cause he wasn't as skilled as Frazier, that's why.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  14. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    I posted an interview where Chris Byrd stated without question that Wladmir hit harder than Vitali. It's on YouTube. You just ignore anything that doesn't fit your narrative.

You can believe whatever you want but don't lie and put words in a fighter's mouth.

15. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    You do know that Maher was considered the champion at one point?

Even Corbett said that he was!

70sFan865 likes this.