Earnie Shavers - The Best Puncher of the Century documentary (Great footage!)

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Russell, Apr 7, 2018.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    That's why it's bizarre to me that so many people around here think you can only measure punching power according to how people fare against top-notch opposition. You know ridiculous punching power when you see (and hear) it.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  2. red cobra

red cobra VIP Member Full Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Yes, it's a well crafted video!

Russell likes this.
  3. Russell

Russell VIP Member Full Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Yup, that's what I thought. Slick production for what has to be a video going on 30ish years old. Looks like a damn fine little professional TV production from around the time. How's it managed to stay so obscure for so long, especially considering it contains the consenus greatest heavyweight puncher of recent, if not all, times?

What else does a piece of media have to go with be digested by the masses? Hands reach out of the TV you're staring into before hands come out Videodrome/Freddie Krueger style and smash your face into the screen...? :lol:

Colonel Sanders and red cobra like this.
  4. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    Bump all the way from page 8. If you're looking for hard hitting heavyweight action (And this forum certainly does have a legitimate bias for heavyweights! :lol: ) than you really can't do any better than this documentary. The interviews, great craft & style and misc enjoyable bits are just the frosting on top.

5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Shavers career was alot of fun. He was devastating and flawed as well. He made u watch and pay attention though. Like pitching to Dave Kingman. You may get him but he may get you.

Russell likes this.
  6. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    It's pretty incredible just how many "names" Earnie fought over the course of his very long career... Start listing the who's who that he fought and you really begun to realize that he fought almost everyone relevant at the weight (including plenty of routinely ducked and avoided fighters) over the course of something like 15 years. Pretty remarkable, the man would fight anyone you put in front of him.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  7. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    I agree. Another guy that is from the same mold is Mike Weaver. He could thrill you or infuriate you on any given night

Colonel Sanders, RockyJim and Russell like this.
  8. juppity

juppity Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Shavers his devastating power floored Larry Holmes and had Ali reeling around the ring and the rest of opponents on the canvas like bowling pins.

9. The Senator

The Senator Active Member Full Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Earnie is one of my all time favorites, very glad to see this.

Russell likes this.
  10. THE BLADE 2

THE BLADE 2 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 14, 2009
    The hardest puncher ever in my view

11. Russell

Apr 1, 2007
    A bump, for anyone on the boards craving a heavyweight fix... :lol:

12. It's Ovah

It's Ovah I'm your huckleberry, that's just mah game Full Member

Sep 5, 2016
    For a 210 guy Shavers could really whack. He'd likely fight at cruiserweight today, cutting the ten pounds of water weight to make the limit, though he competed well enough against high class larger fighters to make a move up to HW feasible. He had a unique mix of heavy handedness and good punch mechanics that enabled him to turn his weight into a shot with maximum effectiveness. Usually fighters have one or the other, which I guess is why Shavers was able to get so much oomph out of his smallish frame.

His power was kind of inconsistent though. Sometimes he'd gas out throwing big haymaker shots and his power would drop off markedly after a couple of rounds; other times he'd retain his thudding heavy blows the length of the fight. It mainly depended on how he went about it the early stages.

Oh, cheers to the OP for the video by the way. Quite a bit of footage there that I'd never seen before.

13. JohnThomas1

JohnThomas1 VIP Member Full Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Shavers could whack for a guy of ANY weight. He could well be the hardest hitter ever.

14. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Also, it's kind of fashionable to say that all Shavers had was power, which is an erroneous view in my opinion. He was a more than decent enough boxer, with a solid, commanding jab, good ring command and effective low-key head movement. His power shots, when he threw them, were done with effective punch mechanics for the most part, though he did have a tendency to lunge when tired or when his opponent was hurt and trying to survive.

His overhand right (his money punch) was often set up with a left hook to the body, or thrown as a counter after a slight dip under a jab. His other shots were similarly set up. He rarely just threw shots out of left field like a rank amateur and hope to clip his opponent by sheer chance (not that anyone does that, but, well, it's sometimes implied of Shavers that he fought with a lot less craft than he did).

Colonel Sanders and Pat M like this.
  15. It's Ovah

Sep 5, 2016
    Nah, too many harder punchers at higher weights for that to be the case. He was a very heavy hitter P4P though.