Earnie Shavers V Eddie Machen?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Fergy, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Pugguy

Pugguy Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 22, 2021
    Machen boxes smartly to open the fight - steady as she goes, a random punch bang on the chin sneaks through and has Earnie immediately rock’n’ and reel’n’.

Fast Eddie, normally reasonably cautious, gets plenty confident and starts sending more, even harder punches in.

A single, concerned voice from among the spectators can be heard yelling “No Eddie, you’re making a mistake, take a step back!!”

Eddie pays no heed, keeps punching with heat but then Earnie desperately holds Machen behind the back of the head/neck and rips in the most sickening uppercut you’ll ever see - sending Eddie down and spewing his guts out onto the canvas.

As the spectators file out, the owner of the lone voice that cried out advisedly during the fight, Jimmy Ellis, shakes his head mumbling “been there, done that, why didn’t he listen to me….??.”

Actually, in all seriousness, I’ve got an informed and level headed Machen in this one. However, if Earnie presents as a somewhat unknown quantity (ala my man, the inimitable INGO), he might surprise Machen just as Thor did.

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I see absolutely nothing to suggest this tbh. Machen's style seems like kryptonite for Shavers.

3. Woller

Woller Active Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I know that Shavers got away with it against Ellis, but it sounds like a possible DQ offence.

swagdelfadeel and Pugguy like this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
  5. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Can't forget about Miss Vickie, I remember Tiny Tim proposing to her on the Johnny Carson Show in 1969.

Pugguy likes this.
  6. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Wot? You’re big on defence it seems.

Because you’re always sitting on it.

See what I did just then? That deserves a self congratulatory dancing banana. :yaay

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  7. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Are you sure that voice belonged to that of Jimmy Ellis or another voice that we know and love? Ha Ha.

Pugguy likes this.
  8. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    LOL, yeah I’ve seen that on YouTube. One of a kind the Old Tiny Tim.

Richard M Murrieta likes this.
  9. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Hmm, now you’ve got me thinking Rich. Maybe we’re both right - Polly perched upon Jimmy’s shoulder, both in attendance? Promiscuous bird that Polly, ditched and then latched on to anyone - love ‘em and leave ‘em Polly! Caught poor Jimmy at a vulnerable time - straight after his KO loss to Earnie - told Jimmy all the things he needed to hear. What a dirty bird!

10. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    Ha Ha. That was before her famous conspiracy in Tokyo, Japan on Feb 11 1990. That Naughty Polly, I wonder if she too left the famous referee Octavio Meyran too after the Douglas vs Tyson bout. Lol.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Pugguy likes this.
  11. Pugguy

Aug 22, 2021
    Yep, wrote him a “Dear Octavio….” letter, which was later found left on the canvas in Tokyo, heavily soaked by Meyran’s tears….ahaha.

12. Richard M Murrieta

Jul 16, 2019
    That Naughty Polly, she has broken countless hearts, even Iron Mike Tyson's too. Lol.

Pugguy likes this.