[1934 article ] Ed Hughes slams Steve Hamas on eve of Schmeling upset

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by mrkoolkevin, Apr 13, 2019.

1. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Very unflattering writeup of Hamas from veteran boxing writer Ed Hughes on the eve of the first Schmeling fight. I guess he was wrong about either Hamas or Schmeling, because Steve pulled off the big upset.

Ed Hughes Column, The Brooklyn Eagle, February 13, 1934

"Max Picked to Win

Barring his punch, I have never been able to enthuse much over Hamas. He is a powerful youngster, but is slow and ungainly on his feet, and his boxing leaves much to be desired. As a ringster, he doesn't appear to be a quick thinker, and I have noted little improvement in his work in the last two years.

Hamas is an aggressive, wild-swinging fellow who usually puts so much in the first few punches that he is puffing and floundering by the half-way mark. Two years ago nobody in his right mind would have considered Steve a match for Max.

Well, Steve, as far as I can judge, is about the same Hamas. The uncertain proposition is Schmeling. But even allowing for idleness and defeat, it is hard for me to picture Schmeling going back so far that Hamas can whip him. I'll cheerfully hazard the guess Schmeling will win--and perhaps knock Hamas out. Hamas, though young and strong, doesn't take a punch too well. I saw him hammer Hans Birkie for eight or ten rounds and then take a slap on the chin from the weary Hans in the last few seconds that knocked him flat--and almost out."

The Long Count and choklab like this.
  2. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Very interesting

mrkoolkevin and The Long Count like this.
  3. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Nice find. Hamas doesn’t have too outstanding of a resume but was a number 1 contender. He beat Loughran, Ramage and Schmeling. Schmeling murdered him in the rematch. It’s hard to watch and see all the right hands he takes. Ended his career.

mrkoolkevin likes this.
  4. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    This content is protected

5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Why did the rematch go so differently?

6. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Well Schmeling in his autobiography said that after the Baer fight he was out of form for awhile but that in his rematch with Uzcudon where everyone knew he had won despite the ref (the president of Spain’s boxing federation) ruling it a draw he felt back to his old ways. Hamas meanwhile reportedly suffered a tricep tear in the rematch which inhibited his ability to properly raise his guard into a maximum defensive position enabling Schmeling to land the right hand.

mrkoolkevin likes this.