Eder Jofre Ring fighter of the 60s?

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Eye of Timaeus, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Eye of Timaeus

Eye of Timaeus Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I think I saw in an article that the ring had Jofre as the fighter of the decade. I wouldn't have any complaints but I'd be surprised for them to give to him over someone like Ali.

2. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Emile Griffith was the fighter of the decade no matter who was voted as fighter of the decade. No other fighter in the 60s comes close to being fighter of the 60s.

TipNom, Bujia and George Crowcroft like this.
  3. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    On paper, yeah, he’s hard to argue against. But on the whole guys like Harada, Saldivar, Ortiz, Ali, and Griffith’s nemesis Rodriguez all have cases.

I think a substantial portion of Jofre’s legacy comes from his highly successful Featherweight comeback in the 70s. He missed the last 30% of the decade, after all. That’s one of the reasons I question ranking Ali at the top, and I think he had a better run than Jofre.

All those things being said, from what I’ve read the comeback was pretty much considered icing on the cake at the time. He was highly exalted when he was fighting. The revisionist history has only come in the Internet age, as is the case with many fighters, for better or worse.

I disagree with the prevailing opinions of that era an awful lot, though. Too many fighters stealing the ink over more deserving ones. Not that I feel this way about Jofre. Not anymore.

4. William Walker

William Walker Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 9, 2020
    I also think Dick Tiger belongs in that lot of 60s greats u mentioned. All the guys u mentioned were great, but for instance, Ali and like u said, Jofre, had great 60s careers, but part of what made their careers so awesome is the 70s aspect of their careers. All of those guys were ATGs, and some, like Ali, I would rank above Griffith, but Griffith was easily the fighter of the 60s having won titles 5x in two divisions and beat lots of good fighters in non-title fights.

Bujia likes this.