El Puma/Warpuma Chronicles

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by El Puma, Mar 2, 2009.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Thank you Mohak. You're gonna love the tribute I pay you at the 50k =)

Ok, I finally had surgery tonight to remove a cyst. I have to wait 9 days before they remove the stitches so that means no CrossFit and no running in that time because the Dr. does not want me to risk opening the wound and it getting infected.

However, I am using that time to do low rep strength work and researching the muddy 50 mile course in April. Research has also included the best gear for trail running (shoes ,compression shorts, compression calf sleeves)

I am fine tuning my technique and cross matching this years starters with last year's finishers to see who I am up against. The field is getting faster each year and I expect this one to be no different. I need to finish a sub 9:21 to place top 5 judging from last year but, like I stated before, they are getting quicker so 9:21 is the bare minimum.

My training will no longer be half ass and last minute like last year. I will no longer settle for being an upper level mid pack runner. I am as obsessed as my heroes (Batman, Lance Armstrong) in prepping my mind and body for anything the trails throw at me.

I want the runners that finish ahead of me at events to feel me.I want them to know they had to run at their absolute best to beat me.

If I get beat, I want it to be in a way worth remembering. My way.

Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
    Steve Prefontaine
    This content is protected

“When you win, you don't examine it very much, except to congratulate yourself. You easily, and wrongly, assume it has something to do with your rare qualities as a person. But winning only measures how hard you've worked and how physically talented you are; it doesn't particularly define you beyond those characteristics.

Losing on the other hand, really does say something about who you are. Among other things it measures are: do you blame others, or do you own the loss? Do you analyze your failure, or just complain about bad luck?

If you're willing to examine failure, and to look not just at your outward physical performance, but your internal workings, too, losing can be valuable. How you behave in those moments can perhaps be more self-defining than winning could ever be. Sometimes losing shows you for who you really are.”
    ― Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

Steve Prefontaine: There’s always someone trying to talk you out of what you believe in. Anybody. Everybody. Your own mother.
    Mary Marckx: Why is that, do you think?
    Pre: All I know, is that if you do believe in something, you tend to make people very, very nervous.
    Mary: Do you believe in God?
    Pre: I believe in myself.

2. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Time heals all wounds they say. I think of that while running my fingers across the stitches on my sternum. It also brings to mind hurt I've caused others in my life. They also say if you really love someone, let them go. It's been over 2 years since I made that difficult decision....

Believe me when I tell you that everything happens for a reason and everything has a purpose. Those that say otherwise, have neither. Open yourself to the fact that not having something you want more than anything in life now, does not mean it could never be. It simply means you are needed elsewhere. Love always finds a way and a father's love never dies.

"I know the rage that drives you. That impossible anger strangling the grief, until the memory of your loved one is just poison in your veins. And one day, you catch yourself wishing the person you loved had never existed, so you'd be spared your pain. Your anger gives you great power. But if you let it, it will destroy you"

"He has a nightmare sometimes. He dreams that the surface layers of his life are stripped away, peeled back like an onion skin. No more Bruce Wayne. No more secret identity to hide behind. No more games. There is only the flame that burns at his center–the flame that has driven him for so long–the flame that makes him what he is. Sometimes he dreams that it flares up to engulf him, filling his entire being, consuming him, driving out all other thought, all other feeling.

Other times–worse times–he dreams it has faded and died."

It's not all anger, sadness and pain. There has to be some sort of balance to what you do and how you feel. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. We all have those negative thoughts of doubt creep in once in a while, making us wonder if just for a second what if any difference we are truly making in life.

We also have have things to remind us, that yes, we are. Whether it's a positive or negative one, is up to you.

She didn't have to send this to me. Not after deciding I was better on my own.
    It goes to show that more often than not...with time...the positives you worked for outweigh the negative.

"No matter what you may have believed or at least wanted to believe I have never forgotten about you or stopped believing in you...I knew that at some point you would figure out what you wanted and make it happen...the difference between you and other people out there is that you work hard for what you want- other people are lazy and don't like the thought of working hard- therefore all the things you have accomplished- are without a doubt more meaningful and something YOU should be proud of."

3. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    You came to mind when I heard this;

''Letting go is not an easy thing
    Time to heal before new life begins, and grows''

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IruD2nYfGlw[/ame]

4. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Good song. Thank you.

"Some scars, are meant to be worn with pride"

I know I said I would wait until next week to run due to the stitches and risk of infection....

So, in the absence of binding words, I try to
    show you who I am in action. And I find I can't stop moving."
    -Nightwing, _Gotham Knights_

Nice l run tonight. Felt good. The air was perfectly cool and crisp and had my furthest distance in training so far. Clocked in at just under two hours.

Tomorrow, CrossFit. I can't stop...I won't. People need this...reminder. Faith in self but more importantly, faith in something bigger than yourself.

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking, and violent — that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.”

— Friedrich Nietzsche

5. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Started my day off with 14 rounds plus 5 pull ups of "Cindy" in 20 minutes
    5 pull ups 10 push ups 15 squats counts as 1 round. I had a weighted (12 pounds) back pack as well.

Helped in training an old classmate for the 8k Shamrock Shuffle

16 mile run followed later in the day. Went out on an empty stomach and devoured two bananas, an almond Snickers and a blow pop from the hunger.

I even stopped and chatted with one of the CrossFit trainers when he saw me running. Damn good night indeed.

Thankfully the stitches held up while running a route I have not been to in months.

Life is good, great new friends and breaking previous strength and conditioning PR's.

But..I still don't have you girls, do I? It's ok...I get it. I know what I have to do...for the greater good.

“Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone.~Ken Chlouber, Colorado miner and creator of the Leadville Trail 100 mile race”
    ― Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

“There are two goddesses in your heart,” he told them. “The Goddess of Wisdom and the Goddess of Wealth. Everyone thinks they need to get wealth first, and wisdom will come. So they concern themselves with chasing money. But they have it backwards. You have to give your heart to the Goddess of Wisdom, give her all your love and attention, and the Goddess of Wealth will become jealous, and follow you.” Ask nothing from your running, in other words, and you’ll get more than you ever imagined.”
    ― Christopher McDougall, Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

I won't fail you guys. I will go until I drop. There will be no more DNF's. There will no longer be any hope lost. To the last breathe and heartbeat. Always.

“There's something so universal about that sensation, the way running unites our two most primal impulses: fear and pleasure. We run when we're scared, we run when we're ecstatic, we run away from our problems and run around for a good time.”

6. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    5 sets of

5 weighted pull ups

5 pistols

5 one arm push ups.

Nice 8+ mile run on a beautiful night.

I felt like Teflon during my run. The physical and mental pain slid off into the crisp winter night as I opened my arms toward the sky, and for a moment.....I felt I could fly.

"The iron ore thinks itself senselessly tortured in the blast furnace: the tempered steel blade looks back and knows better."

The average is the borderline that keeps mere
    men in their place. Those who step over the line are heroes by the very
    act. Go. --Henry Rollins

That's what it takes to be a hero, a little gem of innocence inside you that makes you want to believe that there still exists a right and wrong, that decency will somehow triumph in the end. --Lise Hand

7. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    WOD: 5 Rounds, each for time of:
    Row 250m
    20 Push-ups
    15 Weighted sit-ups w/ KB, 55#/35#
    10 KB swings, 55#/35#
    -
    Rest 2 minutes between rounds.

It felt good walking back in the door. It was only a week but it was the most I've missed something in years.

Did 15 swings instead of 10 the first 2 sets (I swear I have ****ing ADHD) so of course that added to the time. It was time to floor it and leave everyone behind. I've worked too hard not to.

I fight the urge to fall into catatonic hysteria: I do not want to sit frozen in fear until the end comes. Focus, I tell myself. Focus and get moving." -from Deep Survival, by Lawrence Gonzales.

"You can puke, you can pass out or you can die, but you can't quit."

Will this finally be the time I get on the leader board?

We'll find out this week....

I didn't get there on my own. You are all possessed with a power greater than the pain. You are stronger and more enduring than you think. I'm going to show you.

http://facebook.com/Warpuma

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling,, which thinks that nothing is worth war, is much worse. the person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"
    john stuart mill

8. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
  9. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Wednesday, February 08 2012
    2012 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is 2 Weeks Away!

Make sure you register if you plan on competing. Also, be sure to choose CFR as your home gym. We are putting together a team to compete at Regionals if we qualify, but you cannot participate if you are not part of CFR. There are still a lot of unknown answers to how the team competition will work this year, but we will update you as soon as we know.
    WOD: Tri's Birthday Request - "Nasty Girls"
    3 Rounds for time of:
    50 Squats
    7 Muscle-ups or 14 pull ups and 14 ring dips
    10 Hang power cleans, 135#

Itching to get at it....feeling like a killer . I gave myself tonight. All of me.

I've been blessed lately....but I still fight the killer in me. I know if I can overcome that, I can overcome anything.\

Time for a run.

"You unforgivable, you don't talk to me of pacts.
    There are no binding oaths between men and lions;
    wolves and lambs can enjoy no meeting of the minds,
    they are all bent on hating each other to the death.
    So with you and me. No love between us. No truce
    till one or the other falls and gluts with blood."
    - Homer

Not Lost Lyrics: B.o.B ft T.I.

[Chorus - B.O.B]

we got up in this game just to try to make a living
    we hit you with the truth while you watching television
    but still these are the cards that we dealt
    they kick you on the ground when you most need help
    until you dried up and they sit you on the shelf
    then you start to cry because you all by yourself
    so just know if you wanna wear the belt
    the only way to excel is the soul that you sell
    so I could care less about the clothes on myself
    I’m trying to drive straight on a road made of nails
    yeah, I got to pay the toll if I fell
    or else it’ll be another story to tell
    I’m getting to the door I can tell
    I’m just waiting on the day till the glory prevails

10. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    I normally don't type this late about my runs but tonight is different.

A car stalled near a street corner I was about to cross. I helped push his car up an incline and about 40-45 yards overall. As I walked back, a black cat crossed my path. I couldn't helped but notice there was a full moon out as well.

I pondered for a few moments and came to the conclusion this world is resetting itself as I am getting stronger and readying it's greatest weapons against me.

I smile before starting my run again. I wouldn't want it any other way.

"Marathoning is like cutting yourself unexpectedly. You dip into the pain so gradually that the damage is done before you are aware of it. Unfortunately, when awareness comes, it is excruciating."

John Farrington, Australian marathoner

“People think I'm crazy to put myself through such torture, though I would argue otherwise. Somewhere along the line we seem to have confused comfort with happiness. Dostoyevsky had it right: 'Suffering is the sole origin of consciousness.' Never are my senses more engaged than when the pain sets in. There is a magic in misery. Just ask any runner.”
    ― Dean Karnazes, Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner

"Pushing your body past what you thought it was capable of is easy; the hard part is
    pushing yourself even further ... past what your mind wants to let you. That’s what
    ultrarunning is all about; introducing you to a self you’ve never known.
    – Rex Pace

11. SlickMick

SlickMick Guest

Cheers El Puma. You change bad omens into opportunity for yourself and poetry for others.:happy

12. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Added you on Fb, dude.
    Don't read too much into crossfit for life bro kinda lifestyle, its circuit training marketed very well.
    your own plans and progress are special to you, though, and unique!

13. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    :thumbsup Thanks you. I hope to keep inspiring all of you.

Thank you and will do. I am customizing what I am learning at CrossFit to fit my trail running needs.:good

14. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Another run tonight. Colder than usual and fried my senses breathing in too much. I still finished well.

"Perhaps the genius of ultrarunning is its supreme lack of utility. It makes
    no sense in a world of space ships and supercomputers to run vast distances
    on foot. There is no money in it and no fame, frequently not even the
    approval of peers. But as poets, apostles and philosophers have insisted
    from the dawn of time, there is more to life than logic and common sense.
    The ultra runners know this instinctively. And they know something else that
    is lost on the sedentary. They understand, perhaps better than anyone, that
    the doors to the spirit will swing open with physical effort. In running
    such long and taxing distances they answer a call from the deepest realms of
    their being -- a call that asks who they are ..."
    - David Blaikie

15. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    20-16-12-8-4 reps of:

One arm push ups

Pull ups

Pistols

Strength Work for Huge Gains

A huge mistake many runners make is not spending time getting stronger. I am a big proponent of body weight exercises, core work, and general strength routines that can be done in the gym. When doing gym workouts, I prefer to keep them short but intense.

You don’t necessarily need a gym and McDougall didn’t use one to get in shape to finish a 50 mile race. He favored basic, compound movements like push-ups, squats, lunges, and ab work. Many of the exercises were done on a fitness ball to strengthen his stabilizing muscles. As he says in the book, “Before the Tarahumara run long, they get strong.”

His next tactic was to run a lot of hills. Frank Shorter used to say that “hills are speed work in disguise” and I agree but have to add that they’re also weight lifting in disguise. Running uphill forces you to keep proper form while strengthening your entire chain of running muscles. It’s entirely running specific which is why it is so effective.

"We don't have the agility of gymnasts, the power of a weightlifter, or the endurance of a marathoner but we have more agility, power, and endurance than any gymnast, weightlifter or marathoner. We do your stuff almost as good as you, you can’t do our stuff at all and we do stuff neither of us does way better than you can."

-Coach Greg Glassman

"Your body will argue that there is no justifiable reason to continue.
    Your only recourse is to call on your spirit, which fortunately functions
    independently of logic."
    - Tim Noakes