El Puma/Warpuma Chronicles

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by El Puma, Mar 2, 2009.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    5 sets of 5 rep ladders

1 pushup 1 squat 1 pullup, 2,3,4,5,1,2,etc

Went out for a nice 17 mile run. It started off terribly as the stiff cold wind choked me, legs felt like lead, and heart rate was racing too quickly for the pace I started. About a few miles later I stopped at a CVS and downed a Gatorade 2 and a Snickers almond bar (king size) I sighed as I finished it and looked back from whence I came.

"It's not your day today. Let's go home"

I didn't think so much as feel what came next. I headed toward the path of my long run and only until the end of my run, where I felt strongest, did it occur to me.

I almost gave up like the people who gave up on me. It's because they give up on themselves, feel sorry for themselves and ***** about things they can change do they then turn to being negative and self righteous beings. Belittling anyone who dares go beyond what they could not.

The greatest pleasure in life, is doing the things people say we cannot do.
    -- Walter Bagehot

I was able to tell the difference in taking fast absorbing carbs w caffeine half-way into the run as opposed to eating fruits and taking caffeine before the run.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”

So you see, I also have negative thoughts, get tired, get sick and sometimes lack motivation. But just get to it and little by little, you will adapt and get stronger. It all starts with and ends with you. And if we're blessed, we'll have some help along the way from like minded people.

“A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

“Life’s battles don't always go to the strongest or fastest man,
    But sooner or later the man who wins is the fellow who thinks he can.”

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxKH5rP5IJ0[/ame]

2. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Monday, February 13 2012
    Reminder - 2012 CF Games Open is coming up soon!

Don't forget to register before February 26th if you plan on competing. We will be holding the Open workouts at the gym starting next Friday. The workouts will be held every Friday for the following 6 weeks during regular class times. Every rep will be counted, so prepare yourself accordingly. Incomplete reps will not be counted! You must keep your composure and complete another rep.
    WOD: 5 Rounds, each for time of:
    5 Back squats
    This content is protected

10 Burpees
    15 Pull-ups
    20 Double unders
    Rest 3 minutes between rounds. Use the same weight for each round.

****....this one made my heart almost jump out of my chest:lol: It's fun and humbling to get my ass kicked every now and then.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great."

Open Participants - rest 10 minutes after completing above, then complete 3 rounds for time of:
    15 KB swings, 70#
    15 Clapping push-ups

Every second the urge to quit surged stronger in my veins. Weakness pulsing through my head...

I rested on my knees while I sucked in air and sweat pooled around me. RFM came to mind and those that depend on this were felt in my heart..

I finished the push ups for the second set and during a rest with the swings, the side of my vision blurred and I felt light headed. No....I shook my head and told myself to stay awake. Finish it.

RFM. Relentless Forward Motion.

“What ever your 100% looks like, give it.”
    ― Lance Armstrong

“Suffering, I was beginning to think, was essential to a good life, and as inextricable from such a life as bliss. It’s a great enhancer. It might last a minute, but eventually it subsides, and when it does, something else takes its place, and maybe that thing is a great space. For happiness. Each time I encountered suffering, I believed that I grew, and further defined my capacities – not just my physical ones, but my interior ones as well, for contentment, friendship, or any other human experience.”
    ― Lance Armstrong, Every Second Counts

3. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Tuesday, February 14 2012
    Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope everyone has a Happy Valentine's Day - take it easy on the chocolate!
    WOD: AMRAP 20 minutes:
    20 Calorie Row
    20 L-pull-ups

2 movements only? I was about to find out how deceptive this WOD was soon enough...

Robin: You get scared?
    Nightwing: Sure. Mostly of failing. Sometimes of dying. I'm human.
    Robin: And Batman?
    Nightwing: I'm not sure what scares him. Maybe he's driven by his fears.
    _Nightwing_

I had a nightmare 2 nights ago. Relived a bad experience only in a different location. Dreams are a funny thing....if you look at them closely, they give you the answers and closure you needed in the past. I got mine and realized I was blessed and dodged a bullet.

"Not every person is afforded the opportunity to begin anew... nor atone
    for one's sins and misdeeds. Time will tell if destiny can be unwrit... or
    the slate truly wiped clean."
    _Gotham Knights_

4. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Wednesday, February 15 2012
    WOD: "Freddie's Revenge"
    5 rounds for time of:
    5 Jerks, 185#/135#
    10 Burpees
    -
    Jerks are from shoulder to overhead any way. Racks are allowed. Post time and weight to BTW.

I should have known from warming up that 175 would be my bridge too far. 3 reps into the 1st round, I dropped to 155lbs. It felt great, the pain, and the burpees suck the energy right out of you. The key is your bodies ability to recover and I truly believe it starts in the heart and soul of a person.

RFM. Fight now, enjoy death later.

Neo: Why am I here?
    The Architect: Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision. While it remains a burden assiduously avoided, it is not unexpected, and thus not beyond a measure of control. Which has led you, inexorably, here.
    Neo: You haven't answered my question.
    The Architect: Quite right. Interesting. That was quicker than the others.

"Every hero has a journey. Every journey has an end"

I'll be with you again someday. I miss you both.

The Architect : [As Neo decides to take the door towards his Left that will take him to the Matrix] Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength and your greatest weakness.

5. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Friday, February 17 2012
    Happy Friday!!!

I know it's supposed to be almost 50 degrees today, but it was still freezing early this morning, so no running today. Instead, we'll be going retro and performing a 1-rep max on the bench press. Get to the gym on time today and get busy. It's going to be a fun hour...
    Strength: 1-rep max bench press
    WOD: "Diane"
    21-15-9 rep rounds for time of:
    Deadlifts, 225#/155#
    Handstand push-ups

I felt good...even happy, today. I summoned the anger for the bench and it stayed with me for the WOD.....

It seems like a dream, but I should know better, my hard work is paying off. I feel very shy now. Thank you all. Thank you.

"...It is not the level of achievement or the numbers attached to a PR. It is the size of our hearts. It is what we do in those moments when all hope seems lost and we are confronted with a choice to give up or keep trying.It is what we learn about ourselves through those dire circumstances that gives us the courage and strength to conquer the challenges and hills in our lives."

-Adam Goucher & Tim Catalano

6. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Yesterday was a very good 28 mile run. The rest of the week will consist of Metcon and strength training with hill sprints thrown in before I repeat the same route next week.

I was inspired today to go a little longer because I felt the challenges of training for races wasn't enough....I needed more. I felt I was becoming complacent.

"Life is the *****, and death is her sister
    sleep is the cousin, what a ****in' family picture"

I found it. I am trying to assemble a team to take on the 2-time defending champions in the Chicago Urbanathalon. What's better is they are from Chicago and fellow Crossfitters.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTCgsyeql8s[/ame]

“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.”

--Friedrich Nietzsche

7. Filmnpuck

Filmnpuck Member Full Member

Feb 12, 2007

:lol: This ****ing guy.

Seriously though (No Manilow in advance), earlier today I found out that one of my exes got engaged. We're on good terms, I think very highly of her and I'm happy for her and all that, but it still kind of stung in the way that those things can. I wallowed around in self-pity for the better part of the afternoon until I started poking around on ESB to cheer myself up. Not even the funny pics thread or the "I don't mean to brag" thread could cure me of my funk, until I decided to see what was going on in this thread. Afterwards I decided to go for a 4-mile run and did some core work. Nothing crazy but getting the blood flowing was just what I needed. Thanks for the inspiration, Puma. I was in need of it today.

8. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    You're welcome FP, I'll always be here for you guys.

9. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Due to the recent attendance, we have added a 7:30pm class on Friday. Additional classes opening soon...
    WOD: For time:
    25 Toes-to-bar
    500m Row
    25 Ring push-ups
    25 Box jumps, 24"/20"
    50 Abmat sit-ups
    25 Box jumps, 24"/20"
    25 Ring push-ups
    500m Row
    25 Toes-to-bar

Compare to 120118. Post differences to comments.

Jason - 11:58 on 120118. 10:59 on 120221.

Oh, man...what an ass kicking. I better take another day off from hill sprints so as to recover the stress of training lately.

The pain felt good and liberating in the end.

10. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Thank you to everyone who has inspired,supported and guided me to my first trip to the leader board.

I couldn't have done it on my own.

11. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Friday, February 24 2012
    Let the Games Begin!!!

Today we perform the first CrossFit Games Open WOD 12.1 - As many reps as possible in 7 minutes of BURPEES! If you are planning on submitting your score for the Open, you must have a trainer count your reps. In order to accommodate all of the registered athletes, we may need to hold multiple heats during each class. It's not too late to register. We've put together a solid team so far, but we can use everyone's help, so sign up today!

I signed up. What can I say? I love the fear of competition and the feeling of pain and exhaustion.

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

- Andre Gide

I did 97 burpees today with less than perfect form and efficiency. I am retaking the test Sunday at noon but for my Facebook friends, I cannot advertise it as it is a closed doors thing. I'm shooting for 120. Enjoy the new video and any helpful tips are welcome.

"To succeed you must first improve, to improve you must first practice, to practice you must first learn, and to learn you must first fail."

-Wesley Woo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9bujdE8hq8&feature=youtu.be

12. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Mr. Glassman, CrossFit's founder, does not discount his regimen's risks, even to those who are in shape and take the time to warm up their bodies before a session.

"It can kill you," he said. "I've always been completely honest about that."

But for Mr. Glassman, dismissals of his extreme workouts merely help him weed out people he considers weak-willed. "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks," he said.

More troops than ever are flipping tractor tires, lobbing 50-pound kettle bells and conquering the Three Bars of Death in an effort to become “tougher, faster, hard-bodied freedom fighter.” But some of them are also working out until they puke, faint or suffer permanent organ damage. Now, a team of medical researchers have a message for recruits: you’re probably not fit enough for CrossFit.

I wonder which one will kill me first...lol

13. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    15 minute AMRAP of:

20 ab-mat situps

15 ground to overhead lifts with 45lb plate

10 Deadlifts @ 225lbs

5 strict pull ups.

“The magic is in the movement, the art is in the programming, the science is in the explanation, and the fun is in the community.”

I had a real good time today considering I was a bit off from doing conditioning in the early morning prior to class. Looking forward to re-taking the Crossfit Open WOD tomorrow.

"I welcome you to a community of people who have decided that easy will no longer suffice"

-Greg Glassman.

14. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    I was charged up. Learned a new technique 3 minutes before I redid my WOD.

I believed I could better my score. Question was...by how much?

"What no one understands," Chechu said, "except us who ride with him, is that improvements that take us two weeks, three weeks of training, he does in nine days. It has always been this way." He might not have believed in miracles, but he believed in Armstrong. -Tour De Lance

http://youtu.be/0j4sOOOa-XA

15. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005

Boss. Make it happen. Facta Non Verba.