El Puma/Warpuma Chronicles

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by El Puma, Mar 2, 2009.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Because the war never ends. So I fight, until the day the sun goes down in my eyes. But until then, I fight.

-Planche push ups with a back pack filled w 20+ pounds

-Gorilla pullups w same bag.

-Hill sprints.

It's not a means to an end, these feats. It's an extension of wanting to go as high as I can given my position in life and never succumbing to the ghosts of the past or what could have been or should be.

2. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    War puma!!! Don't knock your opponent down, pick up the world and drop it on his head!

3. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    I better just toss him through another planet instead. Picking up the world may awaken Flump and well, that's my ass getting whooped right there.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VeQNm1vB4&feature=related[/ame]

4. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Gorilla pull ups w weighted backpack.

W 5x5 ladder system (1,2,3,4,5-set 1 1,2,3,-etc)

5sets of 5 weighted back pack planche pushups.

went for a run and ran a few hill sprints.

5. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    I wish I could tell you that today was a great training day. It was not. I felt down, tired and just downright feeling sorry for myself.

The writing was on the wall yesterday during training at which point I decided to take a few days off from running. True to my stubborn nature however, I went out to run hill sprints.

It sucked but for a few moments I felt good. I know now what I have to do to recover from the assault I put on my body since the 6th. I had to see how far I could push and still recover in time. I had to know.

I have but 20 days left until the "event" and conventional wisdom says that I am going to suffer greatly and die a little from it.

I will tell you this much. I say **** conventional wisdom. Sometimes, you just have to go with the fire in your soul and see how close to the edge you can play it.

I will rest and I will come back stronger.

"The sharp edge of a razor is difficult to pass over; thus the wise say the path to Salvation is hard."

6. ShamrockNapalm

ShamrockNapalm Rhythm Amongst The Chaos Full Member

Sep 23, 2010

Great quote:good

A quote that I always try to keep in mind when training is "Pain is temporary, pride is forever".

7. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Looks like...I found my first mountain of 2011 to climb.

Chicago Lakefront 50K Spring Ultramarathon
    This content is protected

Chicago Lakefront 50K Spring Ultramarathon
    USA ( Illinois - IL ) | 50 km | Trail | 7 Hour Time Limit | Single Stage | April | Approx Runners: 150
    Official Chicago Lakefront 50K Spring Ultramarathon Website

Along with going for the top spot at the Lakefront 50 miler in October '11

I have more time to prepare. I have to be smart and put into play the training protocols I had in mind for the 50 miler that I did not use.

What those are, you will soon read about as my training progresses.

8. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    “Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.”

I would like to start by sharing an article I have in my training archives by a wrestling coach. The sports may be different but they both involve the same concept of strength,speed and endurance.

We had a philosophy the permeated every wrestling drill and competition we had. Everything we did was based on these three elements of our philosophy:

1. Pressure
    2. Position
    3. Motion

These words were said, by me, to our team maybe 100-200 times at each and every practice. I will explain what their meaning is!

1. Pressure. The wrestler must keep pressure on his opponent every split second of every match he wrestles. This is whether he is on top, bottom, or on his feet! Pressure, pressure, pressure! Unrelenting pressure must be applied. The wrestler must also be able to handle pressure mentally and physically when it is applied to him. Referees will make mistakes. The crowd will taunt him. The opposing coach will say negative things at times. The wrestler must maintain his cool. He should never show emotion of any kind! Stone-face and stoic! When you show emotion in competition, the heat of battle, it is compared to a shark smelling blood! If you display emotion during the battle the shark will smell the blood and attack that weakness. We taught our wrestlers to search for physical and mental weaknesses in their opponents and attack them! If you are to have success with pressure then you must put all three portions of the philosophy together. And it must be implemented into every drill and scrimmage during practice sessions. There is no way you will pressure in a match without practicing pressure in every drill in practice.

2. Position. If the wrestler applies pressure to his opponent while being in poor position he will surely not have good success. All strength is angle specific. A great wrestler puts himself into positions of strength. This is whether he is on his feet, bottom or top position. Having good position is not just being in an athletic stance. It is his position in relation to his opponent. Cutting distance down so he can work his offensive technique and also be able to have a good defense when his opponent attacks is paramount. This is true in all sport whether it is strong man competitions, Olympic weightlifting, Power lifting, tennis, golf, football, basketball or wrestling. In the lifting sports it is gravity, resistance and the object to be lifted that is your opponent. The great wrestler continues putting himself into positions of strength in his sport. This is why being a strong strength room guy is not as important to him. The strength you receive from the strength room will only benefit the athlete if he has paid the price with technique of his sport. There are a lot of wrestlers that don't appear strong. However, they realize their strength potential in wrestling by putting themselves into positions of strength. Teaching a wrestler how to use his body with total body power and strength lifts will help him use his strength in wrestling. Out of season we would focus on the power cleans, hang cleans, squats, standing presses, chins, dips, etc. In-season we placed more focus on lifting our partners within the technique of the wrestling drills. That way we hit two birds with one stone. We worked on our strength specific to the sport of wrestling! However, in-season, we still did our lifting two days per week.

3. Motion. A wrestler is not in good position if he cannot move. A wrestler cannot run as fast or move as fast on his knees, butt, back, sides etc. as he can while he is on his feet. Shooting takedowns and staying on your knees will stop your motion. I am not saying you should not shoot to your knees. However, don't stay there if you cannot finish quickly while there. Learn to hit on the knee and get off of it quickly or work on your takedown technique by not going to your knees. We found we had more success by not allowing our wrestlers to go to their knees on double leg and single leg takedowns. Their technique for the setups and penetration was much better by doing this. We did allow them to go to their knees while doing fireman's carries.

There is one other thing we did at UT Chattanooga that no other wrestling team did that I am aware of. We made our wrestlers bow as they entered and exited the wrestling room. This was not done as some religious sort of thing. . The only clothing we allowed our wrestlers to wear in the room was t-shirt, shorts, jock, socks and shoes! No sweats or rubber gear! We emphasized to our wrestlers that they need to come into every practice with the intent to leave the room in some way better than when they walked in. Did they get better at technique, stronger, better condition, more mentally tough? Better and better everyday was our motto. A wrestler cannot get better if he knows everything. He must come in with an empty glass to learn and improve. If he walks in with a full glass, if he knows everything, he will not make changes needed to become a champion! Bowing as you enter and exit the room promotes humility. Humility allows the humble to learn and get better!

9. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    The following tabata squats(I recommend you copy the asian girl in white top's technique) w your weight vest will yield tremendous results and I have supplied a tabata counter/music to assist you w getting the correct timing.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku-eOGXScOQ&feature=&p=ABE48DF21D853B59&index=0&playnext=1[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGZ5sqVchGU[/ame]

You will follow these every other day either in the AM or PM for 1-2 weeks (w or w/out weight depending on your body feel) We will soon work up to everyday and twice a day before we taper down as your match gets closer.

As for strength training. You will follow the SWAT strength training program w the exercises I post to give you strength pertinent to your sport.

Good luck and Godspeed. We will now begin.

Nutrition will also be posted tomorrow.

10. elcasoshaun

elcasoshaun Member Full Member

Oct 29, 2008
    That little lassie on the Tabata squats video is fantastic in every way imaginable! Thanks for that. Will do this as a finisher later today after doing a bodyweight session. I look forward to seeing how you're going to incorporate quality intense sessions into your bigger mileage. Best of luck.

11. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    :thumbsup Thank you and yes, I have something planned for the long runs indeed.:good Stay tuned.

12. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    E-

This particular part of my training is a modified version used for the S.W.A.T teams in the western states.

I keep it short,simple, and on a budget so anyone can do it.

I stress that you use the high-tension technique of staying tight throughout the move and keep the rest periods 3-5 minutes long.

Another point I would like to make is to adjust the weight according to body feel. If i cannot finish a 4th set of ''Pistols" (one legged squats) with a 45lb kettle bell, I will finish with the 35lb KB or just bodyweight alone. You will have days where you will feel stronger than others and it is here that the "Greasing the groove" method comes into play.

3-5 Exercises

3-5 Sets

3-5 Repetitions

3-5 Minutes of rest between the sets

Below are the exercises that I use.

'Pistol' or one-legged squat

One armed pushup

Pullup/chinup combined with a leg raise at the bottom of the movement

Deadlift

Kettlebell clean and press

One arm dumbbell clean and push press

Keep it simple,short and intense and your strength gains will go up quickly to compliment your combat training. This is the first in a series of routines I use on a daily basis and will post them as I go along. Thanks and I hope you benefit from this as I have

13. Mister T

Mister T Conquer.... Full Member

Sep 1, 2010
    :thumbsup:amen:clap::thumbsup:amen:clap::thumbsup:amen:clap::thumbsup

Amazing quotes bro. Some real inspirational **** right there.
    I especially liked the Sith Code one. Is that from KOTOR?

14. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Thank you Mister T.

The Sith Code is one I came across while catching up on the Star Wars EU story lines.

I will put more up since you enjoyed the quoted ones.:thumbsup

15. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    When you go into any modern day gym, it is hard to recognize what the true reason for physical training is. Everyone is talking about burning calories, building specific muscle groups, maximizing their workouts with scientific date, etc. Now don't get me wrong, burning fat and building a functionally muscular body are great goals. I just think we could learn something from Ancient Warriors that would make out training even better.

Modern Training Has Lost Its Roots

The truth is, the history of physical training, or working out, is based in war. Ancient warriors would train so they would be prepared to protect themselves, their families and their property from attack.

Their training was not so much about looking better, but performing better. I think modern day exercisers should take this cue from Ancient Warriors.

Physical Training Is Initially About Survival

Training, and getting the physical improvements from training, was not about looking good in spandex or taking your shirt off at the beach. Their motivation for training was nothing less than SURVIVAL. If you were unfit, you didn't survive!

Talk about a great motivator to use the best methods and get really great results! If they failed to have the physical abilities necessary to defend themselves... they would pay the ultimate price. Imagine workout out as if your life depended on it. (By the way it does, just most people have lost sight of it or don't view it with any urgency).

The Reason Combining Bodyweight And Dumbbell Workouts Is Best

When you think about Ancient Warriors, what image comes to mind. For me, I see a strong fit individual with some type of weight objects (weapons) in their hands. So, if you were training to be a better warrior, how would you train? Does combining bodyweight exercise and dumbbell training come to mind?

Forget about what the bodybuilding community tells you about training muscles. Exercise is really about movement. Two types of movement really... The movement of your own body AND the movement of objects.

Bodyweight calisthenics are the best way to train your body to move in the way it most naturally moves. Every movement of the body can be trained and improved with bodyweight exercises.

On the other hand, dumbbells are the best way to train the body to move objects. You can use dumbbells in unison, one limb at a time or in an alternating manner. These movements with weighted resistance are closely related to the way you move in the real world. So, training with dumbbells leads to more improvements you can actually use to meet the challenges of sport, work and life.

Just like an Ancient Warrior, combining bodyweight and dumbbell workouts are the best way to build a strong, attractive and functional body.

If you want to get real fitness, fat loss and physique building results you can use in the real world, combining bodyweight and dumbbells is a great option. Forget about strapping yourself into some machine that has no relation to any movement you'll do in the real world. Act as if you life depended on getting results (it does), and use the best tools for the job.

If I needed to get results, I would do what the Ancient warriors instinctively knew. Combine bodyweight exercises and hand help weighted resistance to build a strong, body that performs well regardless of what life throws at me.