El Puma/Warpuma Chronicles

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by El Puma, Mar 2, 2009.

1. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I was as well. I was very strong when I started but immediately found I was lacking in flexibility and conditioning. I highly recommend it as everyone checks their ego at the door and work as a cohesive unit to be the best they can be at whatever it is they do outside the gym.

It has played a large part in helping me be the happiest I have been in months with my training and very much looking forward to my Half Marathon in January.

:thumbsup

2. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Power snatch, 3-3-3-3 (touch-and-go reps)

Clean and jerk, 2-2-2-2 (can be power or squat cleans)

125lbs.

Technique suffered as a result of it being to heavy. I kept muscling it up as opposed to one fluid motion. Many years of lifting is going to have to be reprogrammed real quick if I want to be competitive in the open.

WOD: 3 Rounds for time of:
    15 Toes to bar
    10 Kettlebell swings, 70#/55#
    5 Burpees

Used a 75lb KB (Thank you, Mario) and achieved a time of 5:10

My toes to the bar sucked and I will be putting in some serious overtime on them to improve.

What are toes to the bar?

These *******s right here...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3muDg8zm8&feature=related[/ame]

The goal is not the thing itself. Broadcasting it is not execution. The fellow I wrote about in the Self Delusion essay on the public site confuses announcements about his goals and plans with the actual doing of things. I don't ever say "just do it" (it's trademarked anyway). I say shut-the-****-up and do it. Then you can write your blog. Internet declarations of intent carry as much weight as the excuses used when one falls short. Besides, you can always do more than you think so announcing your intentions can be self-limiting.

What the world needs is less talk and more action.

-Mark Twight

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Mohak

Mohak RIP Smokin' Joe Full Member

Nov 6, 2005
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o65GSQPRhhw[/ame]

4. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    WOD - "Barber" (from the Again Faster "Beat the Team" Competition Series)
    2 Rounds for time of:
    15 HSPU
    20 Pull-ups
    25 Box jumps, 30"
    30 Deadlifts, 185#
    35 Burpees

20:42 2nd fastest in class

That was the most brutal impact my body has taken since October 2010 (50 mile Ultra) With everything that has happened and all the work I have been putting in lately, I collapse against the door and with tears rolling down my cheeks, I let out a long laugh that walks the razor's edge between pain and happiness.

"No one moment can provide the measure of a man. The champion knows that, and so should we all. A man—especially a man who runs ultramarathons—can only be evaluated over the long haul. A single moment is seldom what it seems. Instances that seem easy are hard, and the greatest triumphs follow the most painful lows."

5. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    WOD: 15 Minute AMRAP:
    200m Row
    5 Front squats, 185#/125# (no racks!)
    2 Rope climbs, 18'

Only 2 rounds. I can't tell if i am getting sick or just allergies but I got the snot kicked outta me by today's session. I sucked today.

First time ever climbing a rope and tore a bit of skin off my fingers. Almost got a muscle-up on my third try during our warm up.

I thought for a second about taking tomorrow off. It was a second too long...

I didn't get this far in life taking it easy.

For the goal-oriented individual falling short leads to an unsentimental self-assessment, and the bigger the failure, the deeper one must cut to root out the cause. And the harder one works to turn it to advantage. A former climbing partner once wrote that, "staying focused while truly opening oneself to actual risk of total failure beats specks of gold out of the dross* that comprises the bulk of modern man's existence."

-Mark Twight

*dross
    Pronunciation: 'drås, 'dros
    Function: noun
    1 : the scum that forms on the surface of molten metal
    2 : waste or foreign matter : IMPURITY
    3 : something that is base, trivial, or inferior

6. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Rest Day/Make-up Day

Miss a workout this week? Make it up today. Otherwise, work on stretching, mobility, and a skill or two, but no heavy metcons. Recover from the previous three days and be ready for tomorrow...

Nothing much but practicing my Muscle-ups and doing pull ups on the gymnastics rings. Picked up valuable tips from Emmit. More mental than anything else today.

I. Am. Mine. "Surely the fiercest survivor,the purest warrior.."

All great accomplishments began with a thought within the soul, married the will and gave birth to action.

“I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

“I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"Batman himself knows that he is more than just a man in a mask. He has
    become a legend, a symbol, a force. He has made his priorities clear to
    those who would aid him... and allowed them to make their own choices.
    And he doesn't have time to waste over wondering whether or not this is
    fair."
    _Gotham Knights_

7. Mohak

Nov 6, 2005
    18:14 with a 35lbs DB. What was your time with the circuit?

8. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Sweet! I have not tried it yet. I had Farmers walks and double unders on the schedule today. looking to try this on Sunday.

9. Mohak

Nov 6, 2005

Good stuff bro. My time sucks! :lol:

10. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Worked as a 4 man team to (try) achieve

-100 reps Clean and Jerk with 115 lbs

-200 knees to elbows on the bar

-300 wall balls with a 20lb medicine ball

25 minute cap

Alternating stations while someone is on the rower

We came up 19 short on the knees to elbows and 20 short on the wall balls.

Our team bested everyone else on total calories burned on the rower.

It's been 3 weeks thus far into my training. I'm happy and feel I am where I belong. The Open and Ultra Marathons will be here before I know it. Will I be ready in time? It doesn't matter. I am going at it like everything else I am passionate about.
    Rain,snow, heat all out, death be damned. Blood,sweat and tears; my story will echo through the years.

"That's right, Bruce. you do. You fight until it's done. And then you die. When they can find a body, They..They put you in a coffin. Until then you keep fighting. because you have to. Because you can't stop it from happening again. Because no matter how many lives you save, you can't bring us back."

-Martha Wayne.

“Change hurts. It makes people insecure, confused, and angry. People want things to be the same as they've always been, because that makes life easier. But, if you're a leader, you can't let your people hang on to the past.”

Richard Marcinko quote

11. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    WOD: 5 Rounds for time of:
    15 Back squats (no racks!), 135#
    10 Burpees
    5 Weighted pull-ups, 45#

(Last set of pull ups were done body weight only)

under 14 minutes

Fear,pain,exhaustion. It was a damn good session today. But not good enough.

My legs felt like jello as I took to the road to begin running. I stopped and thought about how little sense it made to be doing this after such a harsh training session.

"It's impossible" said pride. "It's risky" said experience. "It's pointless" said reason. "Give it a try" whispered the heart.

I wanted to experience more. More fear, more pain, more exhaustion. I wanted to overcome.I want daily assurance that whatever I can set my mind to, I can achieve and tell you firsthand that it CAN be done. That is the attitude you have to face the day, face the pain and face fear with.

I am the Alpha and the Omega of myself. You can doubt me, but you can't stop me. Because I can take it. I. Am. Mine.

The hill sprints were a baptism of sorts. I felt free and alive.

“The most spiritual human beings, assuming they are the most courageous, also experience by far the most painful tragedies: but it is precisely for this reason that they honor life, because it brings against them its most formidable weapons.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Girls, daddy loves you.

12. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    Tuesday, December 13 2011
    Bring Your Running Shoes

It's going to be 45 degrees today, so grab your running shoes and a long sleeved shirt - we may not get another chance to run outside for a while.
    WOD: "Michael"
    3 Rounds for time of:
    800m Run
    50 Back extensions (we will be doing 50 straight legged deadlifts instead)
    50 Abmat sit-ups

As we burst out the door, a thought came over me as i looked at the two runners ahead of me. They are built and run like Gazelles and I, a puma. Things are as they should be for now. I was no more than 5-6 seconds behind them as we came back into the building. I finished the floor exercises and burst out the door in second behind the last Gazelle.

No more than 4-5 seconds behind him, I run into the building and begin the floor exercises and every now and then, glancing at the Gazelles progress. I burst out the door in first while Akon is blasting in my ear

Akon:]
    Hey Hey
    I don't care what nobody say
    I'm a be me (be me)
    Stay hood, stay raised in the streets
    (Cause I'm out here grindin')
    Ni**as talk about greatness whenever they speak about me (Cause I'm out here grindin')

I burst in the door and yell "TIME!" but apparently I still had one set of floor exercises left:oops:

As I am finishing up, I feel this surge in me and burst out the door as my theme song seems to get louder with every hard beat of my heart. As i am coming back to the building, I see no other runner and wonder what the hell is going on.....:patsch Turns out I did an extra 800 meter run:lol:

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

I smile and collapse to the floor while i hear the Gazelle tell me I am an animal for running an extra set. Hearing the word "animal" reminds me of Hemingway's Leopard and as everyone comments on how much today's session sucked, I laugh as I watch the steam rise off my body and say "That was awesome"

Just over 19 minutes and only 3 other people from all the classes beat me by less than a minute.

"Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa. Its western summit is called by the Masai "Ngàje Ngài," the House of God. Close to the western summit there is the dried and frozen carcass of a leopard. No one has explained what the leopard was seeking at that altitude."

Every hero needs a theme song...."The Heavy - Short Change Hero"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_bP3GD9fI8[/ame]

13. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    "We do your stuff nearly as well as you do, you can't do ours very well at all, and we do everything that we both don't do much better than you can. Not very humble, I know, but true."

"CrossFit is in large part derived from several simple observations garnered through hanging out with athletes for thirty years and willingness, if not eagerness, to experiment coupled with a total disregard for conventional wisdom."

14. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    WOD: 3 Rounds of:
    5 Shoulder presses, then immediately to
    Max chin over bar hold (seconds)
    Rest 1 minute
    Max rep strict pull-ups, then immediately to
    Max overhead bar hold (shoulder press grip, using same weight from above, in seconds)
    Rest 1 minute
    -
    Use a weight for the shoulder presses that is challenging for 5 unbroken reps (not a 5-rep max weight), and stick with it for the remainder of the workout. If you cannot do strict pull-ups, do kipping. If you cannot do kipping pull-ups, use a band and do strict reps.

125lbs

1st round 9 pull-ups

2nd round 6 pull-ups

3rd round 7 pull-ups

Didn't keep track of the time I was doing the static holds but I felt i did fairly well, holding on until my body was trembling and then hung on a bit more after wards.

I am highly appreciative of our coaches.

CrossFit State Of Mind

"If you think you’re beaten, you are,
    If you think you dare not, you don’t.
    If you’d like to win, but think you can’t,
    It’s almost for sure, you won’t.

If you think you’ll lose, you’ve lost.
    For out in the world we find -
    Success begins with a person’s will,
    It’s all in the state of mind.

Full many a race is lost
    Before a step is run
    And many a coward falls
    Before the works begun

Think big and your dreams will grow
    Think small and you’ll fall behind
    Think that you can and you will
    It’s all in a state of mind

If you think you’re outclassed, you are,
    You’ve got to think high to rise.
    You’ve got to be sure of yourself
    Before you can win the prize

Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man
    But, sooner or later the man who wins
    Is the man who thinks he can,
    It’s all in the state of mind"

This content is protected

15. El Puma

Jan 8, 2006
    This is a story about overcoming. It's also about faith... forgiveness... and fighting for yourself

"If I advance, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. And if I die, avenge me."

"All stories have endings. They are not meant to last forever. People change and grow, they can live or die and they can succeed or fail. I will not spend the rest of my natural life in a hellish borderland of mediocrity that tells you that, no matter how good you are or how hard you try, you will always fail."

Never again.