Elite boxers run long distance. Why?

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Beau Geste, Dec 24, 2009.

1. GNARL

GNARL Member Full Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Popular misconception, I would recommend for you to read this.

http://www.stadion.com/free/nltr0699.pdf

2. taj-09

taj-09 Guest

you say if you want to improve in any sport you need to build you training around anaerobic.
    How bout a marathon runner would he also train anaerobic or would he train long distance.
    The reason i ask is a marathon runner runs a marathon in a little over 2 hours and the pace they run it at is faster then the pace we can run our 6km at.

My opinion is a boxer needs to run long distance and sprints.
    I find when i only do sprints, 400, and 800 and boxing training im not as fit as when i add 6km and 10km runs on top of that. When i do long distance runs i am definately fitter in my sparing.

3. El Puma

El Puma between rage and serenity Full Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Gentlemen, its a combination of both. We are participants and fans of the toughest sport there is.

Balance.

4. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
  5. Beau Geste

Beau Geste Active Member Full Member

Dec 24, 2009
    I believe long distance is needed for boxers, particularly professionals fighting 12 round fights. This thread on Sherdog contains posts from s&c coach Joel Jamieson where he discusses lsd. The demands of mma are obviously different, but some of the points made are equally applicable to boxing.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f14/myth- ... ng-965299/

6. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    Fantastic article mate :happy

7. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    In fact everyone should read that thread, it addresses a misconception that is very prevalent on this board as well ("boxing is an anaerobic sport").

8. It is a good article ey. Don't get led down rabbit warrens in there though. :nono

I always say fighting is mainly aerobic and you build the anaerobic on top of a well built aerobic system for it to work properly. :yep

9. The Daddymac

The Daddymac New Member Full Member

Mar 2, 2009
    This is a great thread.

I've recently come to boxing from a back ground in triathlons, and a focus in long distance tri's (1/2 ironman and beyond). Much of what is discussed here is similar to the debate there - how do you go faster (sic more intense in boxing/not gas), and do routines for elite athletes with an extensive training base also work for novices.

Jeff's explanation of energy systems is spot on and sets the ground for a training plan; you need to understand how your body works and adapts to training. The basic idea is that you get stronger from gradually working harder and smarter.

My expereince is that:
    (1) a good aerobic base is essential to developing anaerobically.
    (2) you need to focus on periodisation, gradually increasing your work load and intensity. This allows your body to fully recover, maximises gains from training, and ensures that you do not burn out (trust me, I've done that and it's awful dealing with fatigue and injury).
    (3) It's a long slow process building your fitness to a high level.
    (4) What works for one person may not necessarily work for the other.
    (5) Pros/elites are in a different league to the rest of us, often having significant base fitness on which they are building.

My tip for working on anaerobic capacity is to run hills, and lots of them. I run a loop round the block; it has a 100m fairly steep incline and my active recovery is the circuit round the block - a gradual downhill return to the base of the incline. I do this 8 - 10 times. If you can do this you'll notice a massive increase in power. However I wouldn't even think of doing this without several months of a decent aerobic work/base.

10. brown bomber

brown bomber 2010 Poster of the Year Full Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Brilliant thread, seems that the sticking point is more people's definition of 'anerobic' training and other training related terminoligies.

FWIW I have read several sources that list boxing as predominantly anerobic... I would suggest boxing is far more anerobic then MMA or Wrestling for example, that said i'm only halfway through the thread and have to go to work.... Very good read for those who haven't read it.

11. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    His point is that if the anaerobic system kicks in, the aerobic system does not end. It keeps going at full intensity, and therefore will still contribute greatly to the end result. The only way to even efficiently work anaerobic therefore strongly depends on your aerobic capabilities.

I think he's spot on and he identifies what many people do not understand about energy systems, it's not as if one shuts down and the other takes over. It's much more dynamic than that.

12. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    hats kind of a 'mr obvious' point to be honest... Thats why I think the stickler is the Spiros definition of anerobic training. He's making a great big deal about the the systems crossing paths, which is a very obvious level 2 fitness instructor point... but by adding all the other fancy stuff, which is mightily impressive reading- he's getting super KUDOS, and fair play he knows his ****.... what do you think of it Scrap?

13. scrap

scrap Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Simply, The Body works All or Nothing, but simple its not :D. Any sport that we know that uses energy sources, need a good aerobic Base as regards anything over 9 minutes as Amatuer Boxing or Pro. As said everyones different, but not to a great extent. An important part of it is Maintainance of the Muscular system causing injury and Bad Biomechanics and damaging the Neuromuscular Pathways, the motorways of energy. Its all about contraction for for the Muscle to beat Gravity, know if you want better contraction then start thinking Expansion. The more a muscle expands the more it will contract. Ive worked with many Sportpeople in all fields, who come knocking on my door with problems. Everytime the Problem is Maintainance, or the lack of it. Simply we do not stretch en ougth.plus its surprising who comes knocking on the door :lol:

14. RDJ

RDJ Boxing Junkie banned

Sep 27, 2005
    It is, but strangely enough there is a lot of misunderstanding about how energy systems work. The point is also that there isn't just overlap between the two, but that one of them actually never stops contributing.

15. brown bomber

Jul 1, 2006
    Ha ha,,.... The ATP system and the Lactic system don't keep working.... only the aerobic does(you meant). :good

Muscle fibres are the same....