England's best ever boxer?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by NoChin, Feb 4, 2024.

1. Goran_

Goran_ Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Terry Marsh deserves a mention along with the others.. IBF LWW champion in 87.. retired undefeated. Brilliant amateur career too. Unfulfilled career in lot of ways but a very good fighter nonetheless.

2. Decy

Decy Barely Coherent Full Member

Oct 23, 2006
    Frank Warren does not endorse this message.

3. deltrotter

deltrotter Well-Known Member Full Member

Jun 8, 2013
    I have to say you seem to get upset over the smallest details. I am British, born in England and Lived in England my whole life, I remember clearly when Lewis chose to represent England / Britain rather than Canada and many people like myself never were drawn into that BS when he fought Frank the crowd were PRO Frank. Even after Lewis's many achievements I never took to him as British, a great boxer but in my eyes and many more a turncoat to the country that he represented at the Olympics twice. And Just like the numerous Cricketers that Played for England that turned their backs on their home nation I never took to them either.

4. MixedMartialLaw

MixedMartialLaw combat sports enthusiast Full Member

Jun 30, 2021
    Lewis is as Canadian as poutine

This content is protected

5. boxingexpert733

boxingexpert733 Member Full Member

May 18, 2023
  6. MarkusFlorez99

MarkusFlorez99 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 13, 2021
    Lewis is definitely more British than Canadian.

KINGWILDER likes this.
  7. KINGWILDER

KINGWILDER "Diamond Boy" Full Member

May 11, 2023
    I’m British and I consider Lewis I’d be a Brit too. You can also de a dual national, you are not limited to being from one place.

BoxingFanMike likes this.
  8. KINGWILDER

KINGWILDER "Diamond Boy" Full Member

May 11, 2023
    That’s your opinion, as a Brit I recognise Lewis as one. I see nothing wrong with being from two places and choosing to represent both throughout your career. Lewis is a legend of both British and Canadian boxing.

9. BoxingFanMike

BoxingFanMike Member Full Member

Jul 13, 2014
    If we are talking best, I would say Lennox. He is arguably a top 5 all time heavyweight. That’s something pretty special.
    I have a number of favourites from England who I prefer to watch, but that’s not the question. Lennox Lewis for me, by quite some distance.

10. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony I hate anything right wing Full Member

May 17, 2023
    Lewis was born on 2 September 1965 in West Ham, London, to Jamaican parents and according to his mother, he would often fight with other children growing up. At birth he weighed 4.8 kg (10 lb 10 oz), and was given the name Lennox by the doctor, who said "he looked like a Lennox." Lewis moved to Kitchener, Ontario, Canada with his mother in 1977 at the age of 12.

11. NoChin

NoChin Boxing Addict Full Member

Aug 1, 2023
    Jackson England

12. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Lennox Claudius Lewis was born in London England which automatically makes him not only British but a cockney to boot

13. C.J.

C.J. Boxings Living Legend revered & respected by all Full Member

Apr 14, 2009
    I think Lennox himself gave the best answer when some wise guy asked him " Just who do you represent Lennox Jamaica, England or Canada" ? Lennox grinned & said " Well as I am the Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World I guess I really represent the whole WORLD don't I " That shut the loudmouth up lol

14. HistoryZero26

HistoryZero26 Active Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2024
    Its worth noting until like 50 years ago people viewed Canadians as British. And the main defining trait of being Canadian was not rebelling against the British. Just a bit of irony to see the turncoat label used in that context.

If you have the option to represent 2 countrys at something like the Olympics people often pick whichever country will be easier to make the team. In the pros this no longer matters.

15. Greg Price99

Greg Price99 Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Bob Fitzsimmons is the greatest.

If you consider Fitz was from New Zealand and are specifically talking English, as opposed to British (Wilde is the next greatest British boxer), the Lennox Lewis, Ted Kid Lewis and Jack Kid Berg would all enter the discussion.