Ernie Terell. Was something wrong with him vs Ali? Read on.

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Mendoza, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I saw the Ernie Terell vs Bob Foster match on ESPN classic. I recommend watching it. It’s a good scrap with plenty of action from both fighters. We all know Terrell won by knockout, but those who have not seen the match are in for a big surprise. Terrell was GASP, a pretty quick fighter. He did not resemble the slow plodder who meet Ali in 1967. Terrell was much quicker in 1964 vs Foster. Is there any reason why Terell looked so slow vs Ali, and so quick vs Foster?

I know Ali could make you look slower, but if you see saw both fights, you see two different Ernie Terell’s in the ring. I realize Foster was a victim as a heavyweight, but after seeing this fight, I have some new found respect for Terrell. In his day he was a decent fighter.

2. OLD FOGEY

OLD FOGEY Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 18, 2006
    You know, this was exactly my reaction. Terrell actually looked like a different fighter versus Ali--much slower of foot and hand. He was only 28 but looked ten years older.

3. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    I wish I could show footage of the two matches. I used to think Terell was slow. He's wasn't.

4. Longhhorn71

Longhhorn71 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I remember Terrell with a good jab and an octopus hug.

Maybe Ernie's jab couldn't work against Ali, then Ali started peppering him with combos (& "what's my name") so he went into that turtle defense and did nothing.

You are right ...it was strange.

5. groove

groove Well-Known Member Full Member

May 16, 2006
    How did Foster's footwork compare to Ali- continuous lateral movement? And what about distance? Were they fighting at closer range where Terrell could land with his jab or at longer range where Terrell couldn't against Ali? What about broken rhythm? Footwork is key to everything.

6. Mendoza

Jun 29, 2007
    Foster moved around well vs Terell. He was not a stationary target vs Terell, except in the exchanges.

7. C. M. Clay II

C. M. Clay II Manassah's finest! Full Member

Sep 23, 2006
    Just shows you how great Ali was in his prime. He made good fighters look like bums.:good

8. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Terell was not a GREAT fighter.

He sure didnt make Joe Fraizer look like a bum.

9. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    Read my post again more carefully.

10. Senya13

Senya13 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 11, 2005
    When you have an early eye injury in a fight, it totally ruins your timing and "feeling" of the ring, you have nothing else left than to fight flat-footed and only being effective at close range where eye vision is not as important. It was an accident, but it obviously affected Terrell not being able to put up any resistance vs Ali. Ali's "greatness" had litle to do with Terrell looking bad.

11. C. M. Clay II

Sep 23, 2006
    So let me guess, Terrel had an eye cut when he entered the ring, because throughout the whole fight he was ineffective against Ali.:good

12. My dinner with Conteh

My dinner with Conteh Tending Bepi Ros' grave again Full Member

Dec 18, 2004
    I don't think it was as good a performance as being made out here. Yes, Ernie looked a little quicker but he was able to impose himself on Foster, mostly by using his superior strength, especially in the clinches, wherein he leant all over Bob, using his great weight advantage while beating his body with blows that tired foster out. It was exhaustion, more than anything else, that finished Foster. He also had the extra confidence to treat foster this way, whereas against Ali he looked **** scared.

13. ChrisPontius

ChrisPontius March 8th, 1971 Full Member

Oct 4, 2005
    I think the eye problem more than bothered him and took the fight out of him. He was tough and hung in there, but some fighters go on on instinct (say, Frazier) to get the win, while others become slow and flatfooted with survival as only objective.

14. mcvey

mcvey VIP Member Full Member

Jun 2, 2006
    I have an old Ring magazine which shows a series of frames of Ali /Clay ,sparring with Terrell before Ali was champ Terell more than held his own,frequently finding Ali with his long jab,I though going in that Ali would win ,but that it would be competitive,Terrell was considered the best challenger out there,and had a version of the title himself,,the eye injury was probably a big factor ,but Ernie seemd to tense up to me ,either through tension ,or possibly he was intimidated by Alis speed.He sure didnt fight to his potential ,though he hung in there and took a nasty beating

15. Sonny's jab

Sonny's jab Guest

How early on in the fight did Ali thumb Terrell ?

cross_trainer likes this.