Errol Spence Jr. Is Befuddled By Slick Southpaws and Speed-A Harbinger Of Things To Come?

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by CST80, Apr 18, 2016.

1. sasuke

sasuke Guest

is std defending his yanks again? well i suppose he has less of them to defend now that his thrown marcus browne under the bus

2. Staminakills

Staminakills Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 8, 2012
    We all should know by now fighter's aren't capable of getting better and amateur vs pro are the same exact sports, with all the same rules.

It's close to rugby v NFL exact

3. boxsensei

boxsensei Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Why are boxing fans so stupid. They highlight one or 2 difficult fights from early in a fighter's career and act like its impossible to learn or grow from the experience.

4. alspacka

alspacka Boxing Addict Full Member

Dec 16, 2015
    Struggles With Awkward Slick Fighters... who doesn't, especially at 21 y/o?

TheyDontBoxNoMore7 likes this.
  5. Pepeelcampeon

Pepeelcampeon New Member Full Member

Nov 24, 2013
    This was a fight between a 21 year old kid and a 27 year old man in his damn prime... But cool story CST80...

6. CST80

CST80 Liminal Space Autochthon Staff Member

Nov 23, 2013
    How many fast awkward slick fighters has he faced as a pro? All I've seen him face is punching bags so far.

7. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Lol wow he didn't know how to deal with every type of fighter as an amateur???????

8. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Lol.... he probably doesn't know how to deal with every style as a pro either.

PIRA likes this.
  9. Richmondpete

Richmondpete Real fighters do road work Full Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Ok....and?

10. alspacka

Dec 16, 2015
    Does that not demonstrate we don't really know how he deals with that sort of opponent? It's reasonable to assume he'll cope better than he did 5 years ago.

He hasn't fought any big punchers either. He's still a 20 fight prospect.

And, at a certain, sub elite level, Algieri could be considered kinda slick. The fact Spence made him look like **** is testament to his position in the hierarchy.

11. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Ok....and.... I'm trying to rein people in a little bit. The hype level over the last two days is reaching absolutely Absurd levels. The kid is good but he's no ATG in the making yet, quite frankly what's he's done is Antoine Douglas level, Antoine's wins over LaManna and Szili were pretty damn impressive and a lot of people were crowning him the American hope at MW, and what happened? He got the hell beaten out of him against the first guy who could take his punch and give one.

Lo Greco, Algieri and Van Heerden are feather fists who offered him no resistance, he did what he was supposed to do, everybody buys the hype....he hasn't fought a puncher yet and he hasn't fought a technical boxer who can test his true skill level in the least. I almost find it insulting the fact that people are saying he could beat Mayweather and Canelo based on his wins to date, its mind numbing.

12. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    And that's the point of this thread. To cool it with the hype, every fighter has a style or styles that give them issues, in case people weren't aware of that, I figured I'd let them know Spence might have a few that give him problems too.

Algieri is fairly slick when he wants to be, but the Algieri that fought Spence was the guy who thought he was a KO artist that fought Bone and Khan, and that style isn't very slick.

13. alspacka

Dec 16, 2015
    I guess the reason to be excited is that it's obviously, to me, gonna take a high grade slick fighter (or puncher) to cause those problems. And even that's hypothetical. Thus, he can already be considered amongst the top WWs.

Did you have anyone specific in mind btw? None of the top 10, excluding Floyd, really fit that brief. Anyone that has him beating Floyd right now has lost their mind, but I'm not aware they are?

And you mention Canelo? He ain't particularly slick or fast.

14. CST80

Nov 23, 2013
    Spence has the luxury of being a relentless pressure fighter because he's yet to face someone who can time him and counter him effectively with the power to keep him at bay, Kell Brook is very slick, deceptively so, and his ability to accurately counter aggressive fighters is consistently underrated on this site, Brook would probably do a number on Spence at this point. Thurman is far slicker than he's given credit for as well, he's also very fragile so Spence might have his number, but Thurman whose power may be slightly overrated, its still impressive enough to keep guys with iron chins like Guerrero at bay and honest, Spence wouldn't just be able to walk him down authoritatively.

We've also yet to see how Spence would deal with true pressure from a guy like Porter, who would swarm him from bell to bell, would he crumble like so many fighters before him? Maybe Porter could Khurtsidze him. As far as Canelo's defense goes most fighters not named Mayweather and Lara especially ones that pressured him have a really hard to landing on Canelo clean, its better than most seem to think it is. He slips shot very well, Cotto had a really hard time landing clean on him.

And yeah there was actually a thread saying Mayweather should stay retired because Spence would stop him yesterday.:lol:

15. ki_ote

ki_ote Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Your talking about long time ago with amateurs who were quite a bit more mature at the time.
    Where are they now?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk