ESPN's 50 Greatest Fighters of All-Time!!!

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by Club Fighter, Jun 30, 2007.

1. quintonjacksonfan

quintonjacksonfan Active Member Full Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Hagler Jones and Hearns should all be higher on the list
    Spinks and Lewis should replace Barrera and Morales on the list
    How can you put MAB ahead Spinks. Spinks only loss was to a much heavier Mike Tyson.

2. MoneyPunch

MoneyPunch New Member Full Member

Jan 13, 2007
    George Foreman at 20!!!!!
    Thats gotta be a joke, and Barrera ahead of Mayweather, please!!

3. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    Most people have Duran top 5 at least, arguably top 3.

4. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    There's 10 weight classes or so, Larry Holmes is a top 10 HW, arguably top 5. Lets be generous and make him top 3rd greatest HW of all time. Now if were to pick out 3 from each weight division that would make 30...its still hard to put him in the top 10. That is unless you were biased towards HW's. Alot of HW's are ranked high on ATG lists yet their accomplishments pale in comparison to some of the guys at lower weight classes. Hopkins for example has achieved more than Holmes yet would probably be ranked lower than Holmes in most ATG list.

5. ajohnfp

ajohnfp Sooner Full Member

Jul 23, 2005
    I don't see how you can justify putting Larry Holmes on the list and leaving off Michael Spinks.

6. PATSYS

PATSYS Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 12, 2004
    I agree with your comments. Also James Toney has to be there somewhere.

7. Tencount85

Tencount85 Well-Known Member Full Member

May 21, 2007
    I have some issues with this list, the biggest being some of the fighters on it are still active. Active fighters should not be on it until they retire because they can either go up and down depending on future fight(s) they have. You may say "You can just update it" and while that maybe true, that wouldn't make it the "Greatest Fighters of All time".

8. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    They did revise the list. look a little harder and you'll see.
    The new list has Greb at 3 & also includes Fitzsimmons.

9. Club Fighter

Club Fighter Boxing Addict banned

Oct 12, 2005
    The list you speak of is an independent critic's revision of the ESPN list which is exactly what I said earlier. If I were to post the list that you speak of it wouldn't be true to the thread's title. Instead the thread would have to be renamed "An Independent Critic's (namely, Monte Cox's) Revision of the ESPN 50 Greatest Fighters of All-Time" which is not what I set out to do. So please stop erroneously stating that they revised the list because they didn't. So you can either agree or disagree with ESPN's rankings (which is the purpose of this thread), but the one thing you can't do is disagree that this is their list, because it is.

10. Lostmykeys

Lostmykeys Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    Jack Johnson at 8 almost made me blow my brains out.

11. justaboxingfan

justaboxingfan Member Full Member

Jan 6, 2007
    You can almost tell for certain that this list was written by some old guy. Notice as you get closer to the #1 spot, the fighters seem to come from previous eras? Who is the author by the way, this list sucks.

12. heerko koois

heerko koois Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Apr 26, 2006
    You are so right .....vicious Boxer should be listed first .......

13. o_money

o_money Boxing Junkie banned

Apr 8, 2006
    how erik morales makes this list is crazy.

LL should be in the top 25-20. The fact that he's off the list is rediculous.

Dempsy shouldn't be in the top two hundred.

and sweat pea should be way higher then he is.

14. Club Fighter

Club Fighter Boxing Addict banned

Oct 12, 2005
    Kieran Mulvaney - ESPN

I would wanna say Sal Sanchez, too, but you can make a legitimate claim that his boxing career was cut too short. Azumah Nelson is a very accomplished champion, with the majority of his losses coming in the tail end of his career, the 1 notable exception being angainst Sal Sanchez. So if Azumah is on there, then I guess they would have to put Sal as well. The same applies with Wilfredo Gomez. Ricardo Lopez had an outstanding record but strawweight fighters really get any recognition. It sucks, but it's true. But he would have been a good additon. . . A very tough list to compile, indeed.

15. Dempsey1238

Dempsey1238 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 10, 2005
    Were the HELL is Ruby Red?? He should be in the top ten EASY. Perhaps top 3. But Fitz is NO were on that list.