Essential Kit for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Hudson1984, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Hudson1984

Hudson1984 New Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    Hi all,

me and the wife have just started boxing - by starting I mean we've been once!

Neither of us are looking to go pro or anything like that. Mrs wants to develop more strength and i'm just tired of martial arts (trained in a lot over the years and they've become really watered down or just chuck aload of flashy moves in that really are only good for cinema) don't get me wrong there's decent places to train out there, I've just not found them, I would've like to find some full contact karate but nothing within like 2 hours and normal life puts that out of the question... So i'll probably go as far as hard sparring in my boxing career - I think my long term goal would be to be thought of as "pretty handy" within the gym lol I like the idea of being able to hold my own should the need arise but again, I don't even think i'll go to the length of amateur fights. End of the day i'm 33, being fitter, stronger and technically effective would be perfect

Anyway, that's the goals! now, I'd rather we use our own gear, so we can get used to it and it'll actually fit!

So, hoping you lot can give some advice - if you started over what would you buy as a priority? Just gloves and wraps? shoes? etc. Any recommendations on both? Brands etc.

At the moment we only use a personal trainer, we haven't ventured to normal classes as yet but the gym is looking at doing open gym sessions of a Saturday which would work perfectly, so really I just want us to grab some half decent training gear - let our uselessness be the thing holding us back rather than crappy equipment

2. YearZero

YearZero Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 10, 2012
    captain hook likes this.
  3. Hudson1984

Hudson1984 New Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    wow that's some reply! thanks.

I've got a opro mouthpiece and the mrs has a custom one too (she plays hockey) so we're on the right track. Will look into your other choice too.

thanks again, really nice to actually get decent replies on a forum!

4. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty New Member Full Member

Jul 20, 2018
    I would caution on the Sabas Super Soft model. Another forum’s members are having issues with the foam bubbling. I would stay with their Professional series line to be safe. Great gloves for all around training. For strictly bag I would look at Fairtex BGV9s. Some break in period required, but it’s IMO better than Cleto Reyes in this department.

Hudson1984 likes this.
  5. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Active Member Full Member

May 16, 2018
    I've always loved Everlast wraps. Cotton just seems softer than the other brands.

And I agree with Salty on the gloves. I used to use Everlast there, moved to Fairtex a few years ago.

Keep in mind I'm pretty sensitive about my hands. I don't like abrasions or swelling. I type a ton and shake a lot of hands in my job.