Esteban DeJesus vs Alexis Arguello at lightweight

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Longhhorn71, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Quickness and lateral movement. ETM was very disiplined and that was good but also needed to be set to throw his powershots.
    I still think Arguello's stalking type of pressure could break through by late rounds.
    Arguello W15.

Jel likes this.
  2. Richard M Murrieta

Richard M Murrieta Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 16, 2019
    Alexis Arguello was a very classy champion and individual. He could box and punch, fought with great determination plus skill. Esteban De Jesus was a very good slick moving combination puncher, with a very wicked left hook, ask Roberto Duran. The taller fighter, Arguello, would have a glaring dis advantage, that being, the mobility factor, the Vilomar Fernandez non title affair, won by Vilomar, by unanimous decision. They would both trade leather, but Esteban being the slicker mover would win this one by unanimous decision based on the volume of punches and lateral movement. If they trade punches it could go the other way in favor by Alexis, by a knockout.

3. Titan1

Titan1 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Esteban uses his boxing ability to win a close Ud.

The Morlocks likes this.
  4. Jel

Jel Obsessive list maker Full Member

Oct 20, 2017
    I’m a little surprised that DeJesus is coming out on top here though the arguments in his favour are very reasonable.

I’m still not convinced DeJesus could keep Arguello off him over 15 though I take the point that Alexis might have trouble with Esteban’s speed and mobility.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    It's a good fight. Arguello had such precison. Basically he was a mini Joe Louis. ETM was more of a stalker than Duran who was a Tasmanian Devil kind of force. Alexis may not wear down DeJesus but I think he could time him over 15.

Jel likes this.
  6. The Morlocks

The Morlocks Boxing Junkie Full Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Gotta go with DeJesus. Maybe by KO. He had very fast refleces and a great left hook. Esteban had a great chin and could inside fight and box outside. DeJesus by KO IN 13.