Eubank Sr claims he beat Watson/Collins/Rocky clearly

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Bulldog24, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Bulldog24

Bulldog24 Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Brit great Eubank Sr enforces his laws, breaking down key fights in simple terms

Britain’s Chris Eubank (Sr) was maybe boxing’s greatest success story of the 80s and 90s. A literal rags to riches one-off. We delve into some of his big fights and his thoughts on certain decisions in his famed career.

Before that defeat to (Steve) Collins the day after St Patrick’s day in Ireland, did you think that you were invincible?

Yes. I did. I always won no matter what.

I fought Dan Schommer in South Africa and he out-boxed me all night and punched my teeth down my throat. I still won.

I was the most powerful man in boxing, including Don King. So yes I felt invincible.

How did Collins beat you?

Well if you’re asking me, he didn’t. I am the champion and I knock you down two times - twice, clean, down; one to the temple and one to point of the chin - and you don’t remotely come close to dominating me in any fashion in any minute of any round?

You can’t be given the decision. It shouldn’t of been possible. It’s never been known before in the history of boxing.

What was the best win of your career?

When has the champion ever travelled to Germany to face an unbeaten former and future world champion in his backyard? The champion! When? Ever in boxing history?

I didn’t just win the fight. I dominated, sweeping the first four or five rounds and throwing a volume of power shots to the final bell. It had to of been dominant because they couldn’t give him a draw, in Germany, so that’s merely an objective observation.

That and the first Benn and second Watson fights, where I was beaten to within an inch of my life on both occasions.

Your reign as WBO world middleweight champion was controversial. Many feel Canada’s Dan Sherry and Michael Watson were hard done by…

Only Lord God is perfect. So when I dress immaculately and speak the queens English in front of the nation, I am still not perfect because only Lord God can claim this.

What it maybe did was put me on a pedestal where you expect me to be ‘picture perfect’ at all times in the boxing ring doing my work.

Mr Sherry didn’t land one punch of any significance in 10 rounds, (and) rarely held his feet for more than a nanosecond which suggests he knew he was thoroughly out-classed and would have to act like a thief in the night - to quote a holy book - if he wanted to take the crown.

Watch Watson I without sound. Study it. I win the first five rounds in third gear, in the seventh the material around his glove doesn’t touch my outer layer of skin. Now I’m the champion. In most of the remaining rounds he’s on the ropes or hurt. Bare in mind I’m the champion.

Had I stayed in third gear I’d of just won each round I believe, but I wanted to stop him a few rounds faster than (Mike) McCallum to make a statement and I couldn’t do this having done the weight wrong. That’s my truth.

Most important quality a fighter can have?

Versatility. As champion of the world, I once faced another world champion who didn’t stop bobbing and weaving for a nanosecond that he wasn’t punching and then another world champion in my next fight who didn’t drop his gloves from his head for a nanosecond that he wasn’t punching.

I used uppercuts and fast hooks on the first opponent - namely Benn at Old Trafford - and hard body shots and volume on the second, which was Graciano Rocchigiani in Berlin. I came through. I always came through in the end, by any means necessary.

You started in New York. Very few realise…

South Bronx my friend. 1982. When it really was South Bronx. I was one of few who didn’t carry a gun. I was the only Englishman I know was there. Arson had previously hit and crack cocaine was hitting.

I had the keys to a local boxing gym, worked as cleaner and caretaker to pay my way and learned my trade on the hoof. I hid from the world outside in that beaten down gymnasium and mastered my craft over what was maybe five years. Every intricate detail I wanted perfected, every deft foot movement or deft weight transfer for instance. So yes….

You lost your last three fights but were never stopped during an active round and never quit in the ring despite some hellacious fights…

You know, when I faced Carl Thompson the second time, it was beamed to the United States via satellite so I knew Maximo Pierret one of my first trainers would be watching.

As an 18 year old schoolboy all I wanted was Maximo in the gym to give me a simple ‘OK’ finger gesture. In my 30s, with 20 world title wins, a wife and children all I wanted was to impress Maximo via satellite in that fight.

Every punch and move was thought out accordingly with him in mind. All I ever wanted was approval. It’s a strong driving force when you never had any from anyone growing up.

It was the first time I was heart-feltingly cheered by the fans that night, and before the fight I’m holding back tears because I knew there and then it was over after that one because that’s actually what I was fighting for, over money.

For eight years, 50 million people had derated me through misconception. I had to win them over before I hung them up.

2. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    Well spoken. Chris is a testimony tonthe classic man. He acts in a way in which we all see or desire in ourselves. As Shakespeare says “The world is our play and we are all actors” and he is as he wants to be.

Bulldog24 likes this.
  3. Journeyman92

Journeyman92 I’m become seeker of milk Full Member

Sep 22, 2021
    “I fought Dan Schommer in South Africa and he out-boxed me all night and punched my teeth down my throat. I still won.

I was the most powerful man in boxing, including Don King. So yes I felt invincible.”

Very cheeky.

Bulldog24 likes this.
  4. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Unbelievable that answer was

Journeyman92 likes this.
  5. Ike-Man

Ike-Man Active Member Full Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Eubank was a good fighter but he's such an idiot.

6. The G-Man

The G-Man Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 24, 2020
    He has all the right words English.

7. Smokin Bert

Smokin Bert Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Eubank has always been a man of many words. But, I can sum him up in just one word: "OVERRATED." He never even attempted leaving the safe confines of the UK to fight the best fighters in his division.

FastLeft, mark ant and thistle like this.
  8. Boxed Ears

Boxed Ears this my daddy's account (RIP daddy) Full Member

Jul 28, 2009
    "Of" and "have" are actually not even the same words, some people say. But only people who say things know that they don't really say them for that is the light and the way.

9. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    This content is protected

10. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    This content is protected

hahahahah

Boris Johnson likes this.
  11. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Just scored the Watson-Eubank June91 bout

1; CE
    2; CE
    3; CE
    4; MW
    5; CE
    6; MW
    7; CE
    8; CE
    9; CE
    10; 10/10
    11; MW
    12; MW

116-113 Eubank for me
    (same as one of the Puerto Rican judges)

12. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    I reckon he meant ‘berated’ not ‘derated’ though

13. Dubblechin

Dubblechin Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 25, 2014
    I had just started trading boxing videos with a guy in England when the Chris Eubank "World Tour" kicked off.

It was before the internet, so It was exciting getting those regular VHS tapes in the mail with another Eubank fight on them, I have to admit. He fought nearly every month, it seemed.

At the time, it felt like more people believed Wharton was going to beat him than Steve Collins. Collins winning was a shocker. Roy Jones actually fought the same night, and they told Jones on HBO that Eubank had lost and he was stunned.

I've always liked Eubank. He's a real character. But he was one of those guys who definitely fought to the level of his competition.

I thought he had a real punchers' chance against Roy Jones. Too bad we never saw that.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    fortissimus and PhillyPhan69 like this.
  14. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    I still remember the Sky broadcast of Roy Jones v James Toney at around 3-4AM and Steve Collins was the analyst/studio guest! Still rather unknown in the UK.

Anyway Eubank was linked up via audio (he actually watched the big US 160-168 fights at the Matchroom house in Romford with Francis Ampofo and they recorded them on VHS and watched them back seeing ways Eubank could beat them) and Collins said to Eubank ‘You were supposed to fight Toney but now he’s lost, so will you now fight Jones?’ and Eubank replied ‘Before we get to that….’ and spoke about something else, praising the head of Sky if I recall.

Collins pressed Eubank about Jones. And Eubank said he estimated he needed to bank another 6 or 7 million pounds before risking a loss in a fight with Jones. And he said any man on the planet would do the same in his position. He was probably right.

I bet on Wharton to beat Eubank!

I didn’t really see Collins as a threat.

Eubank may well of timed Roy with that sneaky short counter overhand, to counter the Jones leap hook lead.

15. Bulldog24

Aug 2, 2013
    Collins actually predicted Jones would win because he’d been in LA training with Toney and saw how overweight Toney was a few weeks prior. To him, Toney didn’t look a focused fighter in the gym.

Steve said after that the Toney who fought Mike McCallum and Reggie Johnson would beat Roy. Eubank said you can’t bring anything into it regarding condition of a fighter or the way they were in the past because there are no excuses at the end of the day, Dempsey brought up Eubank struggling to make weight for his previous fight in Sun City and Chris took the attention from that straight away saying Schommer played chess and was a southpaw and fought the right fight (and that he’d of had no complaints with a draw!).

Eubank said Jones fought the perfect fight, not staying in one spot long enough.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022