Evaluating Yarde's career.

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Jolly Jim Jacobs, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Jolly Jim Jacobs

Jolly Jim Jacobs New Member banned Full Member

Jan 20, 2023
    I have noticed that some are describing Yarde as one of the pound for pound best in the UK.

Without intending to sound sardonic, can someone please round up Yarde's best wins? As far as I can see, his best win is against Lyndon Arthur, who is a British level boxer who was utterly hopeless in that contest and put up next to no resistance and demonstrated very little skill. I may genuinely be wrong, but I can't think of one other notable win in Yarde's career, but saying that, I am not a BT subscriber and have not followed it as closely as some of you.

It seems to me like he is a 31 year old who has put up two good losing efforts in world title fights, being knocked out in both. Kovalev, who he was knocked out by, had lost several times himself and was on the wane. He was quite old, if memory serves. Beterbiev, although even older, is certainly fresher and probably better than that version of Kovalev. Yarde put up a good fight, but he was knocked out before the fight reached the final third. Are two losing efforts and a win against Lyndon Arthur enough to classify him as one of the pound for pound best in the UK? His other wins seem absurdly soft to me.

2. Boxing Gloves

Boxing Gloves Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Not even close until he beats someone better than Lyndon Arthur. Stock has risen considerably after last night's performance but still needs to secure a win against someone decent before I bang that drum.

zulander and destruction like this.
  3. Potwash

Potwash The Real Untouchables Full Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Who exactly is describing him as the best pound for pound boxer in the UK?? I'm a big fan of him and picked him to beat Beterbiev but he isn't the best fighter we got over here. He the best light heavy for sure but not best pound for pound.

nurological, Noel857 and SeanB1 like this.
  4. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    It would be very cool if people posted their British p4p top 10, it's always awkward.

Robney and SeanB1 like this.
  5. Jolly Jim Jacobs

Jan 20, 2023
    One of the best not necessarily the best pound for pound. I think it was in the thread with the live commentating as i replied to the member, but I have also seen YouTube comments referring to Yarde and pound for pound. Now, i like him, and I wonder why he seems to lack good wins, I just can't figure it out. In talent it may well be the case, mind you.

SeanB1 likes this.
  6. SeanB1

SeanB1 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    doing this now. My research reveals Yarde's name includes the name Dwayne. This counts as an L. Poor Yarde.

7. Jolly Jim Jacobs

Jan 20, 2023
    I would like to see that. I admit that I may struggle. It would be easy to do based on talent and potential but in terms of achievements it would surprise me to see Yarde in the top 10.

I am thinking, in no order, Fury, Joshua, Joyce, Taylor, Catterall, Edwards, Okolie, Riakphor (sp), Whyte, C. Smith.... but there are some on the slide here like Joshua, Whyte, possibly Smith, Taylor is struggling physically... It gets murky. In terms of ability and potential it would be very different, I would perhaps put Yarde in the bottom end and take a bit of a gamble on Itauma, Azim and a couple of others. I think others who keep a closer eye on the Brits will have better lists than me.

8. SeanB1

SeanB1 Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Sep 8, 2022
    1. Yarde 2. Smith 3. Buatsi 4. Richards 5. Azeez 6. Arthur 7. Pitters
    I have no view on the rest. I love Spelman and have watched him several times but he has stepped up to Cruiser.

9. alpo1

alpo1 #TeamShanny Full Member

Dec 10, 2005
    It was a good fight.

But the reason was that Yarde tried to maintain an unsustainable pace and his tank emptied by the 7th.

You need world class wins to be on any p4p list.

10. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Not sure how anyone who has looked at the fighters he has beaten can come up with the idea that he is anywhere near top UK P4P list.

Yarde needs to start beating some actual names

Jolly Roger and DoubleG95Fanatic like this.
  11. Accurate

Accurate Jump back, wanna kiss myself! Full Member

May 3, 2018
    He definitely is NOT the best lb for lb.

12. DON1

DON1 ICEMAN Full Member

Apr 6, 2006
    He put up a good fight, but what has happened to Sport? When an athlete needed to actually win. He has beaten nobody of note. Not saying he cant but they need to put him in competitve winnable fight, not against cans against live opponents where he has a chance. He was never going to beat Kov or Bete, lets be honest.

13. BoxingAddick

BoxingAddick Active Member Full Member

Nov 28, 2021
    In reality is Yardes career any better than say Callum Johnson ? Its hard to say yes CV wise anyway. (Btw has he retired Johnson ?).

If this was a list of p4p Britains most exciting fighters to watch he would probably be on it.

DramaShow and Robney like this.
  14. DramaShow

DramaShow 19 banned Full Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Not at all. He hasn’t won a domestic title and his best win is Lyndon Arthur who he went 1-1 with. However, I think if he continues he could win a World Title as he definitely deserves a softer touch after the hard world title fights he has had.

BoxingAddick likes this.
  15. Robney

Robney ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ Full Member

Jan 18, 2010
    But not as soft as he usually takes.
    Behind Arthur his best win is probably Sjekloca, as there really isn't much depth in his resume.
    He would have had a good shot at a 175 belt in the pre Russian monster squad (Kovalev, Bivol, Beterbiev) era, and will be around when there's only one left (Bivol) it seems.

destruction likes this.