Evander Holyfield vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    I’m talking about best versions of both, and Holyfield really didn’t get hit much when he was focused, plenty of his opponents praise Holyfield for his great defense and he had better opponents

2. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Bowe (II) landed 353 punches on Holyfield.
    Bowe (I) landed 357 punches on Holyfield.
    Qawi landed 560 punches on Holyfield.

With a strike rate of roughly 45% - 55%, I'd say that's getting hit a lot.

3. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    To be fair, Joe Louis got hit a fair bit too.

That's what often happens when you fight good fighters who are trying to win.

70sFan865 likes this.
  4. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    Holyfield didn’t have a great chin. He had a good to very good one. He had great heart, which is the main ingredient (insert steroid joke here) that allowed him to bounce back time and again from being badly hurt. He was badly hurt often, though.

Too often people make out like he had a chin of granite. That just wasn’t the case. But yeah, it was better than Louis’s.

The fact that Louis was still so much more consistent in the Heavyweight division should put an end to the defense debate. Yes, Holyfield faced bigger punchers, but we’re talking about the second most consistent great Heavyweight vs probably the least consistent great Heavyweight. The difference in punching power they faced can’t explain that kind of gap.

George Crowcroft and Reinhardt like this.
  5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    How many fighters can you name with better chins than Holyfield ?

6. Bujia

Bujia Well-Known Member Full Member

Jul 2, 2020
    I’m sure I could name quite a few. I’m sure you’d just disagree afterwards, too, so I don’t really see the point of taking the time to complete the exercise. Not gonna get us anywhere.

I was just giving some random thoughts, anyway.

George Crowcroft and Reinhardt like this.
  7. Man_Machine

Man_Machine Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I don't know this for certain, but I would wager peak Holyfield got hit more often than peak Louis. Louis was more conscious of his defense being rolled into his offense, in my opinion.

However, I agree with your sentiment re fighting opponents, who come to win. It makes such difference and yet I find this factor to be the most overlooked in analyses of why some boxing matches turn out the way they do.

70sFan865 and Unforgiven like this.
  8. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I think Holyfield had a great chin.
    If his chin wasn't great, the bar for greatness of chin must be higher than I thought. That's all really.

Man_Machine likes this.
  9. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    they were both great boxers, but yeah, I'd rate Louis's boxing at the absolute top so that fits with what you're saying.

70sFan865 and Man_Machine like this.
  10. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    Agree with that, there's probably several that could be said to have a better chin. Holyfield had a good chin, nothing great. Certainly could be cracked by the Brown Bomber

11. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm sure Joe Louis would knock him out.
    But it's nothing to do with Holyfield NOT having a great chin.

12. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I'm not one for punch stats, but I think Man Machine's post illustrates it quite well. Whatever praise Holyfield received is irrelevant, as it's clear that he got hit a lot.

Don't take it like I'm shitting on him though. I love Holyfield, and one of the reason's why is because he was so damn hittable. I do think his defence can get underrated, when he was doing what Benton taught him, he could be pretty elusive, but it was only in isolated spots rather than whole fights.

13. Johnny_B

Johnny_B Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Feb 8, 2020
    Nope. A boxer can have wins over big names in his era, doesn't mean he'd do well against ATGs from other eras.

14. 70sFan865

70sFan865 Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 30, 2019
    You're entire argument is that Louis was born 50 years earlier. You don't try to find exploitable weaknesses in his game because you know you'd lose this debate!

George Crowcroft likes this.
  15. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    Good points, but the way I see it is louis wasn’t as elusive as Holyfield, and if they switched eras louis would have more ko losses and would have been hit a lot more as well, Holyfield would still probably be dragged into brawls, but if he sticks with good game plans he would’ve been seen as a defensive wizard
    :wizard: