Evander Holyfield vs Joe Louis

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Toney F*** U, Oct 24, 2020.

1. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Aside from Michael Spinks, literally everyone who fought Qawi was slower than him. Dokes was a speed demon, no shame there.

Tyson and Lewis were pretty damn close, and both of those two were very quick when putting shots together.

Bowe and Moorer? Please.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  2. Bah Lance

Bah Lance Active Member banned Full Member

Apr 29, 2019
    Well Spinks, Qawi, and Dokes are the fighters with above average speed. He was clearly slower than them. Tyson and Lewis were quick heavies, he was also slower.

Moorer was clearly faster in the first fight. In his defense Holyfield had the health issues. But he was struggling to pull the trigger on the rematch as well until he suckered Moorer into exchanges by laying on the ropes. Again, accuracy and movement.

Bowe had faster hands in the first fight. It actually was what disrupted Evander who was at first attempting the hit and run tactics he used against Douglas and Foreman. You think Evander willingly traded with a heavier guy all night because he likes getting knocked around? He didn't want to do that lol

Holyfield never boxed like a guy with a speed advantage because he didn't have it too often. To bring it full circle, Holyfield liked exchanges because he didn't have the speed to be an evaise boxer, his strength was his accuracy and movement. Against Louis, he will be on the losing end of these exchanges. Someone quicker who can match his accuracy.

3. Toney F*** U

Toney F*** U Boxing junkie Full Member

Oct 16, 2019
    He definitely had faster hands than Moorer, Tyson and Lewis. In the bowe rematch he consistently beats bowe to the punch as well

George Crowcroft likes this.
  4. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    Exactly, I have no idea what this guys talking about

George Crowcroft likes this.
  5. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Moorer was 5 years younger and despite crap conditioning, kept the hand speed and power from his light heavy days. As explained, Evander was in poor health in the first fight and was being out pointed and frustrated in the rematch until he prayed on his stool and started playing possum.

Tyson was always faster. Holyfield was in his mid 30s in these fights and deliberatey carrying extra bulk. I think activity and movement is being confused for speed.

He was 36 and 37 in the Lewis fights and had been slowing down progressively since he moved to heavyweight. Lewis was slowing down too but had a pretty obvious advantage in quickness and more spring in his step.

Bowe was in awful shape in the rematch, Holyfield absolutely was beating him to the punch there. I think Bowe still had the raw speed but was gasping for air.

Clearly I'm not trying to insult Evander in anyway. He just wasn't a very fast fighter. Certainly not faster than Louis. He is the epitome of skill and hard work compensating for physical ability. One of the best conditioned fighters of all time, he had to be.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  6. HolDat

HolDat Well-Known Member Full Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Holy vs Louis????
    Speedy, powerful combinations all fight with tons of heart showcased. Might be the most entertaining hypothetical fight.

Louis wins. Don't ask me about a trilogy hahaha

7. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Anyone who watches these first four rounds and tells me Holyfield is quicker than Moorer...I'm gonna have to seriously question your objectivity. Evander is unable to get off and eating leather. There is even talk of Evander looking lethargic. And of course it's not entirely fair, Evander is 35 here against a 29 year old, but I didn't make the claim he was faster.

This content is protected

8. Toney F*** U

Oct 16, 2019
    I disagree.......

9. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    Well one thing we can agree on. He was a thrilling fighter to watch and I miss his smooth style of infighting. It was fun reviewing Moorer 2 for this topic. I always found it to be an underrated performance with some great strategic adjustments. I wish Evander retired there having beat every man he fought but the Lewis rematch was excellent.

10. Cecil

Cecil Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 22, 2015
    For all of Holyfield’s valour and heart he would have to fight as the boxer here.
    Sure he could hold his own in a slugfest against most and if he took that approach here he could possibly hurt Louis and stop him.
    It’s a big if though and high risk because he’d be going up against the greatest and most precise combination puncher in heavyweight history.
    I think Holy would be lured in and take his chances, in that case he’s getting taken out.

11. slash

slash Boxing Addict Full Member

Apr 15, 2012
    That combination from Holyfield at :08 of the 8th round. Moorer never threw a combination like that, that fast, in his life.

The first Qawi fight, when wily Dwight was suckering young Holyfield into surprise leap in shots, Evander was throwing six punch combinations, smooth as you'll ever see from a big man.

12. slash

Apr 15, 2012
    This content is protected

Bah Lance- Holyfield is not slow. At least not when close to his prime, anyway. Tyson and Holyfield threw a right hand at the same time.. you know who's got there first.

Toney F*** U likes this.
  13. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019

Honestly, that's a very slow combo to the point I feel trolled. This isn't splitting hairs and pushing the limits of the naked eye, it's obviously a slow combo. However it's smooth, accurate, and does the job. Evander was pretty tired there and had his man hurt, it didn't need to be fast.

Moorer threw quicker combos earlier in the fight. Moorer had one of the fastest double and triple jabs of all time, and he could rip some great combos off it. Why do you feel Holyfield was dropping the early rounds and eating so many punches in this fight if he was better conditioned and a more skillful smarter fighter? Moorer's southpaw stance obviously tricky...but the hand speed difference is apparent to the point I'm surprised it's up for debate.

Louis was a little bigger than Evander, and I would rate him as a smoother combination puncher. Evander was one of the best combo punchers of all time despite not always being the fastest guy.

14. Bah Lance

Apr 29, 2019
    The longer one lol Also, are we talking the end of the fight when Evander had used Tyson as a punching bag most of the night?

I never said he was slow. But he wasn't fast either, certainly not elite. In terms of the greats he's below average, especially for his size. Certainly not faster than much younger men he had to weather the storm against who were noted as being in contention for the fastest ever.

15. slash

Apr 15, 2012
    See you later. Have a good one.