Evander Holyfield vs Tommy Morrison

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by tommygun711, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Icemmann

Icemmann Breakin it down. Full Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Holyfield by headbutt.

2. anarci

anarci Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Just saw a replay of that on ESPN classic i didnt see no Body shot looked like all right hand shots to the head.

3. Sister Sledge

Sister Sledge Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Morrison might have his moments early on, but I see a Holyfield stoppage by the mid-rounds.

4. Flea Man

Flea Man มวยสากล Full Member

Sep 7, 2008
    Terrible, one-sided matchup.

Holyfield is a very underrated puncher IMO. But sharp, fast and accurate, his timing was impeccable too; he'll tear Morrisons head off early with a counter right.

Holy K.O 2.

5. anarci

Jul 21, 2009
    :yep:good I was a little nicer and said 5, but if Holyfield comes out stoked(Buster Douglas) i can see this ending in 2.

6. ATP

ATP Fringe Contender Full Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Holyfield Rd 6 KO........Mad brawl here ;)

Toney F*** U likes this.
  7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    There were no body shots landed by Holyfield.
    It's two left hooks to the head and a marauding Holyfield that persuades Mercer to take that knee.

watch the entire 8th round.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_BWf3Gnbg[/ame]

8. lefthook31

lefthook31 Obsessed with Boxing banned

Jul 6, 2007
    Morrison has no shot

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    I remember Evander Holyfield turned down a part in Rocky V because the script required him to lose to Tommy Morrison.

Bronze Tiger likes this.
  10. Briscoe

Briscoe Active Member Full Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Holyfield had more intangibles. Both had great physical talent. What makes a champion a champion? Evander was always capable of of going that extra mile and then some in more moments then Tommy. Morrison never gave me an account in which I'd believe he'd be nothing more then an active opponent (with a great left hook) for Holyfield to defeat.

11. MAG1965

MAG1965 VIP Member banned

Dec 1, 2008
    Evander was the better fighter and he would outbox Tommy in the beginning of the fight and then stop him late. Evander wouldn't want to get hit with that left hook, but I doubt he would. If he could avoid Bowe's left hook, he could avoid Tommy Morrison's.

12. anarci

Jul 21, 2009
    No way Morrison last that long with Holylfield. Do you actually think he would last as long as Tyson dd?

13. Abdullah

Abdullah Boxing Junkie banned

Dec 2, 2008
    This can't be serious. Holyfield by KO, let's say....in 3-5 rounds.

14. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Although Tommy Morrison had a respectable punch, decent handspeed and some good offensive skills, he was a very limited fighter and more of a novelty item... His defense was poor and he had a weak chin, along with the tendency to cut and bleed.. In the early 90's, he was built up to be the next great white hope, and as the nephew of actor John Wayne, along with having a major role in one of the Rocky movies, his name had vastly exceded his actual abilities... Any other contender would have basically been finished after the Michael Bent loss, but Morrison's image continued to have a prescense in the division... His best wins were over thoroughly shot fighters, and the Foreman victory was a case of running more so than fighting.. An aging and ring worn Carl Williams looked as though he was going to beat him at some point, and so did Joe Hipp.. The Ray Mercer fight was hyped as the match to determine the next best contender in the division, and frankly while I think Mercer had earned his status by winning the gold medal, beating Francesco Damiani and Bert Cooper, Morrison had done virtually nothing except looking impressive at dispatching ordinary opposition..

15. tommygun711

tommygun711 The Future Full Member

Dec 26, 2009
    if only Morrison had a better chin, he wouldve been great. I think he had all the weapons in order to be great besides the faulty chin and stamina issues.