Everybody seems to be back on the Whyte Hype train.....

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by Who_Necks, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Unforgiven

Unforgiven VIP Member banned Full Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Don't get me wrong. Fury-Schwarz and Fury-Wallin were not PPV-worthy or even interesting fights going in, and I advised everyone of that at the time. And they do very very little for Fury's resume.
    But taking on undefeated WBC champ Wilder twice inside 15 months needs to be considered very good work, by any standard.
    If Joshua had taken on Wilder in December 2018 and again in early 2020, many of these same critics would be singing his praises for doing so, but can't stand to give Fury any credit at all, so concentrate more on how **** Tom Schwarz is. :lol:

Wizbit1013, Gatekeeper and Jurgen like this.
  2. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Tyson's opponents were terrible besides Wilder and you know it.

kriszhao likes this.
  3. Brixton Bomber

Brixton Bomber Obsessed with Boxing banned Full Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Not true at all.

If AJ faced them two dossers there'd be uproar. Tyson fights them and there's nothing but excuses.

kriszhao likes this.
  4. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Schwarz was a bum, like I said.

Wallin might have been intended as a cherry-pick but he deserves credit for giving Fury hell.
    He also recently easily defeated Breazeale, who is a bum, of course, but it wasn't long ago Eddie Hearn was listing "Dominic Breazeale" as premium name on the fabled Joshua resume.

5. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Of course they'd be uproar. But Tyson Fury didn't even have a belt, so it wasn't as unexpected.
    Then again, most of us DID criticize Fury for fighting two unknowns. We call it out as the crap it was. Fury doesn't get a pass for two unknowns in a row.
    Certainly we ALL criticized BT or ESPN for making it "pay per view", and we didn't buy it.

Joshua fights better opponents, since Klitschko anyway. And he has 3 belts so he has to do mandatories, who are usually somewhat better, and even if they were not, we'd have to give him a pass. I didn't criticize Joshua for facing Pulev, but don't expect me to say that's a good fight or PPV-worthy either.
    But he also fought Breazeale and Molina on PPV back in 2017, in 'world title' fights, two bums, when he only had one belt.
    It is what it is.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Furious likes this.
  6. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Fury has the best wins but AJ has more wins against decent opponents. It isn’t really rocket science and it’s subjective what you prefer. Let’s hope they fight in a few months and whoever wins then has the best resume

Wizbit1013, Guru88, Skyver and 3 others like this.
  7. mithffg

mithffg Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 22, 2007
  8. Furious

Furious Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2017
    Agreed. Also, is it Fury picking his opponents personally? I think it was pretty clear he wanted a couple of duds in Seferi and Pianetta immediately after his weight loss (which was totally understandable really).

I think that Schwartz and Wallin were picked for him by TopRank to help build his profile in the States as much as anything. Perceived as two easy wins that Fury can look good against with a view to making the Wilder (and eventual Joshua fights) huge events in the US.

As far as I'm aware, Fury effectively picked Wilder as an opponent during the Pianetta fight period which was a hugely ballsy move. People get a bit confused and think the fighters themselves pick the opponents it seems.

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member banned Full Member

Apr 8, 2021
    @Aydamn is back!

Aydamn was last seen: Thursday at 10:36 PM

LOL he finally mustered up the courage to log in and have a look after Whytes revenge defeat, but he's yet to have the courage to post again.

Wizbit1013 likes this.
  10. Mitch87

Mitch87 Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 29, 2018
    This content is protected

He's not wrong.

11. Guru88

Guru88 Active Member Full Member

Sep 6, 2020
    He also got sent to a new orbit by a 40 year old and went life and death twice with an old Chisora who Fury toyed with, not sure what his point is. Fury dethroaned a 10 year reigning champion in Germany, Whyte can scrape through as many top 15 guys as he wants, and he gets paid a lot on ppv while doing so which he never mentions during his little moaning sessions

12. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Those two were apparently agreed to in order to get Haymon to send Martin over. I think Hearn said he was given a list of several not great opponents and they were the best options.

13. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    And they are both above him in those rankings.

Whyte should consider himself fortunate to be #3 contender.
    He was sparked out by #8 last August, and was lucky to get a headbutt-points decision against #5, and had dianabol in his blood before his close win over #9 (and that went unpunished).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Wizbit1013 and Twentyman like this.
  14. Unforgiven

Nov 24, 2005
    Three bums for the price of one, and an IBF belt thrown in gratis.

Jurgen likes this.
  15. Wizbit1013

Wizbit1013 Drama go, and don't come back Full Member

Mar 17, 2018
    Makes sense

He obviously was busy perfecting the vaccine

Twentyman likes this.