Exactly where does GGG rate at 160??

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by JohnThomas1, Nov 7, 2022.

Where does Canelo rate at 160?

1. 1-10

2. 11-15

3. 16-20

4. 21-25

5. 26-30

6. Outside the top 30.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. m.s.

m.s. Boxing Addict Full Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Michalczewski kicked the crap out of hall of famer Virgil Hill and TKO'D Montell Griffin.

BCS8 likes this.
  2. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    The Derev fight was when he was 38 years old and Derev barely lost to prime Jacobs.

BCS8 likes this.
  3. Sooncreate3

Sooncreate3 Member Full Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Tbh, most of y'all have low standards on who makes the top 10 and 20 middleweights of all time list lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    SomeFella and George Crowcroft like this.
  4. Dynamicpuncher

Dynamicpuncher Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jan 14, 2022
    Yes I'm aware if you go back a few pages, I debated with a poster who didn't think Michalczewski was on the same level as Golovkin. Which I totally disagreed with, as Michalczewski had better single wins than Golovkin as you just pointed out. Aswell as 23 title defences, which for me definitely puts him on par with Golovkin.

SomeFella likes this.
  5. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Yes but my point is they were still close controversial decisions, in the same vain as the Canelo fights that people keep bringing up, giving Golovkin unofficial wins to heighten his resume. Golovkin may of been a bit unlucky to lose the 1st Canelo fight, but the other two fights I didn't see anything wrong with Canelo getting the nod. And if you think Golovkin was unlucky vs Canelo in their 1st meeting, by that same notion Golovkin was also fortunate himself to be 2-0 vs Jacobs and Derevyanchenko.

SomeFella and Rumsfeld like this.
  6. Dynamicpuncher

Jan 14, 2022
    Well if that's true for arguments sake let's say Golovkin won 1st meeting vs Canelo but still lost the other two fights, your claiming Canelo isn't anywhere close to Golovkin, and I also don't think Canelo is anywhere near a great Middleweight either. My point is does 1 win over Canelo really sky rocket Golovkin to being in top 10 Middleweights of all time ? I'm not so sure on that.

For me I look at this way Golovkin is a fine fighter and I have nothing against him, but his resume is just not up to standard and there isn't really any stand out wins on his resume. Whether or not it was fighters ducking him, or as some people believe he got a raw deal with judges. But at the end of the day his resume just isn't stacked with big names. And it hurts him quite badly legacy wise that the best fighter he fought he didn't get a W against him.

SomeFella, tee_birch and Rumsfeld like this.
  7. The Long Count

The Long Count Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Based on prime ability I would say top 10 I can easily see him hanging with the likes of Hagler, Monzon, Robinson. Guy was a beast. However those are just hypothetical match ups and are totally subjective to opinion. Unfortunately Triple G’s actual resume is quite light. I will say he is the most avoided fighter I’ve seen and I’ve watched the sport for 40 years. The number of guys that either flat out ducked him or showed 0 interest in fighting him was insane. They basically froze the man’s prime out.
    Based on achievement - he did rack up title defenses and looked good doing so although I don’t agree that he should have the record over Hopkins - those were real defenses lineal- I could see Triple G in top 20. In my opinion though - just my opinion I think he got a shot against anyone in top 10.

Rumsfeld and m.s. like this.
  8. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    The jacobs fight to me was very competitive but clear for GGG. GGG knocked down jacobs in the fourth then had him in trouble in the 8th. I have that fight a win for GGG by 3 points.

BCS8 likes this.
  9. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    Politics isnt fair.

10. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    Canelo was fortunate vs Trout, Lara, and GGG twice.

11. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    I think maybe top 10 or top 15, longevity and absalute dominance over good and mediocre contenders and closer wins over top fighters means something. He is 12-1-1 (10) ko's at middleweight vs Ring magazine top 10 contenders. He is 22-1-1 (20) ko's in middleweight world title fights.

12. Mendoza

Mendoza Hrgovic = Next Heavyweight champion of the world. banned Full Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I have noted that his age 36+ combined with his style and activity factor in. Golovkin was active long after Hagler and Monzon retired. Ask yourself would they still be winning at age 36+?

I think GGG won the first Canelo fight as do a few dozen other boxing writers. With his title defenses ( 20+ ) he rates way up there. Top ten ATG for me and a sure fire #1 vote getter in his hall of fame class. There is no higher honor.

[url]https://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/the-10-longest-middleweight-boxing-title-reigns.htm[/url]

m.s. likes this.
  13. vargasfan1985

vargasfan1985 Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I still think the second fight was GGG’s, just closer. Far closer.

Anyone who had the first fight a draw or Clenelo win either DKSAB or is related to Clenelo.

m.s. likes this.
  14. George forearm

George forearm The forearm of George Full Member

Aug 10, 2020
    No this is apples and oranges here. Hagler and monzons both faught in a time were career where shorter because of tougher careers, **** hagler basically beat all the mw names in the 70-80s. Il put is this way you look at haglers and monzons resume where would Daniel Jacobs be? do any of ggg wins come near Griffith, valdes, benvonutie, hearns, mugabi, Duran ect. Look in the end of the day it's quality over quantity and even someone lower down the top ten like Freddie steel haze much more quality wins then ggg.

15. m.s.

Nov 2, 2010
    Yep, GGG got slapped in the face twice.

vargasfan1985 likes this.