Exercising during injury

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Africana, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Africana

Africana New Member Full Member

Oct 21, 2019
    I injured the inter rib muscles (intercostal?) two weeks ago. It is improving although very painful especially at night in bed. It is also very frustrating because I can do very little if any training and I am beginning to loose my fitness, etc.

Any suggestions on what I can do to be active provided its not too painful? Not that young anymore either so to get back to where I was a huge uphill battle again. I can walk and walk but that's a bit boring. Gyms not yet open in South Africa.

Any suggestions? Thanks

2. Likethembigroundchunky

Likethembigroundchunky Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Wait for it to get better.

You'll be compromising yourself and prolonging the injury.

You wont lose any real fitness in the time it takes for it to get better. Sure, things will be harder when you first start but you'll be surprised how quickly the body will "remember".

Devon Dog likes this.
  3. Saintpat

Saintpat Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Exactly.

Ask a doctor what you can and cannot do and accept the doctor’s medical advise and expertise.

Not only do you risk prolonging the injury, when you train with an injury you tend to put more pressure on other areas of your body (muscle groups, etc.) by compensating to keep pressure off the injured area. That can lead to strains and even more serious injuries in those areas.

4. thehook13

thehook13 Active Member Full Member

Nov 2, 2011
    You have more to gain by rest and more to lose by risking reinjury. You need professional advice re what can be done in the mean time