Experienced boxers Help please

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by LewJenkinsII, Jul 10, 2017.

1. reznick

reznick In the 7.2% Full Member

Mar 17, 2010
    No, just using the bag he wasn't hitting as a frame of reference.

There was only one listing for that bag in the store, that said it was 120lb. But after making that post I thought "Wait, this can't be right." I found another listing for the bag one some secondary market website. Turns out they use to sell a 230lb bag too. Whoops, go figure.

2. viru§™

viru§™ Boxing Junkie Full Member

Aug 28, 2007
    He posted another video of him punching a bag with 2 videos of Anthony Joshua punching a bag below. He then said something about the bag that he was hitting was 20lbs heavier than the one AJ was toying with and we could 'take what we want from that'.

But I think from his last post we're meant to have been looking at the bag hanging in the background as a weight reference...? Makes no sense.

mrkoolkevin and Pat M like this.
  3. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    What training advice? Telling someone new to the sport to stay relaxed during sparring? That's the number one piece of advice I got when I first started sparring, and everyone told me it's normal. So it's advice I gave based on real experience. If you actually sparred once in your life, you'd probably not make a stink about it.

As for what Sam said about my power, you can verify it for yourself if you really want to. Just go in there and ask him.

The hypocrisy with you is almost hard to believe. You told me in the classic forum to upload footage to protect my credibility as a poster. And now that it's your turn, you're all "Ah what's the point!"

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    All right. I know this is silly but just for the record: I asked you to reup the footage back when you reacted incredulously and made strange comments when multiple posters explained the textbook form for throwing proper uppercuts to you (you seemed to think that any uppercut without an extreme windup was an arm punch). You also seemed astonished when another poster, Contro, gave you some very basic information about the proper way to throw a hook with maximum power. I asked because I was confused by how someone who was trained by a "world-class trainer" was unfamiliar with such basic, rudimentary stuff. This was back when I'd assumed that you actually worked with and got one-on-one attention from this trainer who you kept claiming. When I saw your footage, which you apparently thought exhibited impressive punching, I was surprised that you were not much further along in your development, given that you'd shadowboxed on your own for years and been in the gym for a year or so at that point. You seemed so noobish that I didn't even want to comment on your clips (I only did so reluctantly, at your prodding). Later in the thread though, it became clear that you had never received the basic instruction I'd assumed. Your footage also called into question the claim you've made multiple times about being one of the two hardest hitting men in your gym. Nobody here believes that (even your boy MDW had been dodging that one like hell-- props to him for his loyalty to you lol!).

PS -- I think (and sincerely hope) you've been exaggerating your sparring experience through innuendo. Based on the various clips you've posted, it's hard for me to believe that a serious trainer like Sam would have been ok with throwing you into heavy, all-out sparring sessions where other guys were trying to hurt you. You certainly would not have been participating in that kind of sparring in the gym where I spent most of my time. Anyway, enough about your footage. Best of luck in continuing to improve, and I really hope you take my suggestion and actually find a trainer who's willing to spend hours with you one-on-one, if you can afford the extra $50 or $100 per month. I bet it would do wonders for your form and overall development.

LATE EDIT: Should've mentioned that my assumptions about your training had been fueled by posts like this:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  5. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    80% of that wasn't right.
    Again you are talking from a place of authority, but you have never sparred. It's really just silly.
    Anyhow, I think I know where you stand on things by now, thanks.

6. reznick

Mar 17, 2010
    By the way, you should give real sparring a try. It's a humbling experience. No matter how good you are, you will get tagged. And you'll learn an appreciation for things that go beyond the aesthetics of a slick defensive boxer.

7. PIRA

PIRA Arise Sir Lennox. Full Member

Mar 30, 2007
    So welcome to boxing OP - for the first couple of pages anyway.:)

reznick likes this.