Expert opinions on Frazier vs Tyson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Feb 12, 2016.

1. robert ungurean

robert ungurean Богдан Philadelphia Full Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Yes... that's all it is..I hope you stay. Knowledgeable people are always a plus weather we disagree or not. The more opinions the better

2. swagdelfadeel

swagdelfadeel Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 30, 2014
    I have reconsidered my stance on this and come to the conclusion that I owe you an apology. I can see where I interpreted it the wrong way and I didn't need to say you were being deceitful. For that, I do apologize

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  3. Rainer

Rainer Active Member Full Member

May 2, 2019
    No problem Pal , let's start again! Its big of you to take it that way!

4. Glass City Cobra

Glass City Cobra H2H Burger King Full Member

Jan 6, 2017
    This is actually a good point. Either light heavyweight opponents are good for your resume or they arent.

young griffo and swagdelfadeel like this.
  5. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Some are obviously better than others though. Would seem to me that the undefeated lineal heavyweight champion who beat Larry Holmes and destroyed a post-prime Cooney is a far more impressive heavyweight scalp than Bob Foster.

6. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    This is very debatable actually.

Foster was the more athletic of the 2. He was scouted for being a standout in football and had army training, etc. Had over 100 amateur fights. Devastating puncher. Ranked #3 all time by ring magazine.

Spinx was more technical and elusive. Also had nearly 100 amateur fights. Also Ranked 3rd by ring at lhw in a different year.

Its apples and oranges. Both got demolished by a reigning 5'10 hw champ. The difference is spinx knew when he had enough. His career probably wouldn't be too different from foster if he continued to mix it up with with the big boys of the 90's like holyfield, Bowe, etc.

Yes spinx has a win over a washed up Larry Holmes but he also only had 4 HW fights. Right place right time. Foster fought a whose who of the HW division including Folley, Jones, Ali, Terrel, etc.

7. mrkoolkevin

mrkoolkevin Never wrestle with pigs or argue with fools Full Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Do you feel that Foster would have beaten post-prime Holmes?

8. Glass City Cobra

Jan 6, 2017
    Not unless he caught him with a wicked shot when he was off guard, and even then I doubt. Best case scenario might be a flash knockdown and then getting battered by Holmes or losing a lopsided decision. A prime tyson had to drop a past his prime Holmes like 3x and it took him 4 rounds. Fosters best asset was his power and it didnt carry over to hw that well for some reason.

Point being spinx had the awkward cagey style to beat an older Holmes who preferred letting the other guy do the chasing.

9. ETM

ETM I thought I did enough to win. Full Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Foreman was able to do some things at 6-3 with his reach that Tyson couldn't get away with Pushing Joe back. Frazier would catch Tyson more than he could Foreman.

10. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    That version Bob would have a shot. He had such a wicked jab. The only guy to ever slice up Ali's pretty face.

11. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    I have pick Tyson. He was quicker, more explosive and a two handed power threat. His uppercuts were fast. That's gonna be a problem for Joe.

12. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Do you honestly think Tyson can't push Frazier back? With that uppercut? With that Power? With that Handspeed? Love Joe, but can't see him dealing with Mike.

moneytheman12 likes this.
  13. ETM

Mar 19, 2012
    He could push but at 5-11 he's gonna be in range for a counter hook from Frazier. Also I don't think Tyson was quite as strong as Foreman. Ali was strong he wasn't able to push Joe with any real success.
    I pick Tyson as well I just don't see that tactic being a smart one for Tyson.

14. escudo

escudo Boxing Addict Full Member

May 13, 2014
    Tyson wouldn't, and probably wouldn't need to. But Joe always came forward. Best way to catch him coming in was to keep him coming in. Tyson is not Foreman strong, but he's not far off either IMO. Also Ali couldn't move Joe because Joe kept putting his head in Ali's chest. Makes it difficult for a tall guy to get a good grip or leverage in a clinch. Tyson isn't tall though. They're going to end up head to head. Tyson is faster, stronger, a bigger puncher and more skilled. Tyson was a generational puncher.

Joe for all his stamina and toughness, goes Kamakaze and gets shot down in the pocket by a puncher of Tyson's caliber.

moneytheman12 and Rainer like this.