Expert opinions on Marciano VS Liston

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by swagdelfadeel, Dec 9, 2017.

Liston VS Marciano

1. Liston by KO

2. Liston by TKO

3. Liston by UD

4. Liston by MD/SD

5. Draw

6. Marciano by KO

7. Marciano by TKO

8. Marciano by UD

9. Marciano by MD/SD

10. No contest

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SerbianLoudmouth

SerbianLoudmouth Overhand right-Suzie Q Full Member

May 3, 2019
    He was not that bigger and Louis was bogger than Liston!
    Even in picture size is not that different!

2. RulesMakeItInteresting

RulesMakeItInteresting Boxing Junkie Full Member

Mar 23, 2019
    I should have thought things out before I wrote some of the things above, @swagdelfadeel

Thanks for the schooling.

Marciano was indeed one-dimensional, he really didn't seem capable of changing his style to fit fights. And it's true. Liston only quit once, against the ATGreatest, period.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  3. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I am not a fan of this type of comparison, because styles can sweep all of that aside.

This fight would come down to the stylistic dynamic, and who was able to implement the fight that they wanted.

Liston's plan would be to draw Marciano onto a carefully constructed killing field, fight backing up, and keep Marciano walking onto his punches. He was rather good at that, and Marciano's style would play into his hands.

What options does Marciano have?

If he can keep the fight up close and personal, he might be able to smother Liston. That is going to be both difficult and dangerous, given Liston's heavy artillery. His only other option, would be some fight plan like the one that Frazier tried to implement in the second Foreman fight.

Marciano was undoubtedly greater than Liston, but Liston is just wrong for him!

4. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    The only thing cuter than watching Rocky flail away with his thalidomide arms is reading the thoughts of those who treat him as a God.

5. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    I didn't remmember those short hands ever knocked and for some reason those short hands always knocked everything in front of them how is that possible?
    Size is not big difference because even bigger Louis who was bigger than Liston wasn't much bigger than Liston!
    Marciano is very close to Liston size than Liston is to Louis!

RockyJim likes this.
  6. SerbianLoudmouth

May 3, 2019
    Again Liston isn't wrong for him because they are both sluggers!Liaton is bigger but he is not Foreman while Marciano is better than Frazier in eberything!
    Liston is maybe wrong for Frazier but not for Marciano!

RockyJim likes this.
  7. janitor

janitor VIP Member Full Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Liston is a slugger, or arguably a boxer puncher, while Marciano was a swarmer.

8. RockyJim

RockyJim Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 26, 2005
    You mean because Marciano met every challenge?....and Sonny s**t himself in the 2 biggest fights of his career? Could be!!!

9. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Marciano was closer to a slugger than Liston was. Liston has excellent fundamentals IMO.

10. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Prime Louis, something Marciano never met, was not bigger than Liston. The balding mummy that was propped up in the ring for Marciano to feast upon was not bigger... paunchier and slightly taller, yes. But not bigger.

What do short hands have to do about anything?

11. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Louis is both weight & muscle-overall mass-was smaller than Louis.
    He was slightly taller, but had less of a wingspan.
    Liston was at least ~ 3" taller than Rocky in real height.
    A massive difference in reach.
    And much less muscle mass & weight.
    In part because Rocky trained down, but even if he did not Liston was bigger in lean muscle mass.

swagdelfadeel likes this.
  12. Berlenbach

Berlenbach Boxing Addict Full Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Perhaps because 90% of his fantasy fights on here are against all-time great heavies who would completely dwarf him, sometimes by 40 or 50lbs.

13. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Now hold on a miniute there partner--->do you want to be respected as a credible, fair & rational poster, or do you want to just act like a "loudmouth" without any irony?

You need not agree with me or most here, but anyone who says Marciano is better than Frazier at everything-just like if someone said the very opposite-is betraying a massive bias.

Besides being bigger in every way, Frazier was significantly more accurate.
    And he was faster overall.
    And Frazier did not cut nearly as easily.
    You can prefer Rocky being awkward or unpredictable to Frazier's rhythmic fighting.
    Or note that Marciano has much better punch variety. Or say he maybe had slightly more endurance (though workrate & movement in ring makes any difference), or maybe had a chin advantage...

But if you really give every advantage to one man, you are being laughably biased.
    Repent if you wanna be fair & have anyone regard your opinions as plausible!

RulesMakeItInteresting and JC40 like this.
  14. choklab

choklab cocoon of horror Full Member

Dec 31, 2009
    If Sonny were to beat Marciano, I would be the first to solute Liston. I really would. I would be happy to be proven wrong. Liston is a great fighter and make no mistake about that.

I just believe Liston never beat anyone Rocky wouldn’t have beat. There are guys Marciano beat who Sonny might not necessarily beat. That’s all.

15. Seamus

Feb 11, 2005
    Actually, your first compelling argument for Marciano.

However, I don't think anyone Marciano faced, in the form he faced them, would pose any problem for Liston.

I do think William, Patterson, Machen and Foley... out of those 4, Marciano loses at least once.

But you made me think about it. Good on ya!