Eye pain after sparring

Discussion in 'Boxing Training' started by Diomedes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Diomedes

Diomedes Guest

Last saturday, I had a great training session full of sparring. Got lots of rounds in with a bunch of different guys, and came away with a lot - including two black eyes. The problem is, one of my eyes -the eyeball itself in fact - is giving me trouble - my left, after I took a decent straight right to it. At the time, my vision in that eye was pretty ****ed up actually, but I kept going and it got better a few more rounds in, except today 5 days later, it's still painful to "move" the eyeball. Basically, if I look suddenly in certain directions - particularly down - my eyeball itself feels a fair bit of pain.

I've never taken such a shot quite so precisely *in* the eye before, so I'm not used to it, and basically, I dont know if it's normal or not. Is it just some kind of occular bruising, perhaps the muscles that move the eye were wrenched around, and just need to heal?

2. Ziggy936

Ziggy936 ESB Newblood Full Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Sounds like you might ****ed up the cornea, get it checked ASAP.

3. fernando4cv3

fernando4cv3 Member Full Member

Jan 20, 2007
    i had the same problem 1 time. everytime i looked to the sides my head would hurt and so would my eye, it went away after a couple of days. get it checked just to be safe though it would be a shame if you had to end your career because of a serious injury you couldve prevent because this could get worse if not taken care of

4. Lostmykeys

Lostmykeys Active Member Full Member

May 11, 2007
    Yeah check with an optometrist before you spar again.

5. MrSmall

MrSmall Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Sounds like you bruised the actual eyeball.
    Should recover, but check yo self.

6. Shanger

Shanger Member Full Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Happened to me before, it would hurt to look up, down or side to side. Went away after a few days.

7. chinachin_76

chinachin_76 Member Full Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Go to the doctors to be sure, but this sounds like it will heal itself and their shouldn't be any permanent damage.

8. Ingar

Ingar The Mean Machine Full Member

Jan 29, 2006
    I had the EXACT same thing! Have you swelled up around the eye yet? Two hours after the hit it suddenly said "pop!" and water deposits accumulated around my eye. From there on, I bought and put on eyepatches for the next couple of days. It was a bit "sore" to move like you said for a week or two, but it'll pass. I was afraid that my eye was damaged myself, but my eye has gotten perfectly fine again.

So I do not think you have anything to worry about.

9. Dennis

Dennis Gym Rat Full Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Soon you'll need an eyepatch and you're gonna look like a pirate for ever.

:yep j/k..see a doctor, seriously.

10. SouthPaw_Swamer

SouthPaw_Swamer Member Full Member

Nov 5, 2006
    yeah, go see a doc, you have nothing to lose. well apart from a bit of cash.

11. Diomedes

Diomedes Guest

Thanks guys, I think I will get it checked out just to be sure. It takes a lot to get me to go to the doctor, and while it probably is fine, eyes are just too important... the fact that it hasnt gotten any better in almost a week is enough for me to want to be sure.

12. Ingar

Ingar The Mean Machine Full Member

Jan 29, 2006
    How's your eye? Been to the doctor yet?

13. skipdog

skipdog Active Member Full Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Does the eye patch make it hard to catch passes on the gridiron? Damn you must of gotten rocked square in the eye. Have any scientist written a report telling you how to not get eye popped yet?

14. Diomedes

Diomedes Guest

Yeah, it looks like it'll be alright. It was a bit of a scare to be honest, but the pain has almost gone now, and I'm sparring again.

15. austyn

austyn Yeah I know Full Member

Jun 10, 2007
    ouch u probley bruised the inside or sumin