"Eye watering financial losses" from last night's card

Discussion in 'British Boxing Forum' started by BaronSamedi, Oct 31, 2021.

1. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Poor Hearn putting on a **** card and losing money. Boxing fans are a disgrace

2. tee_birch

tee_birch Boxing Addict Full Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hearn will rue the day he left Sky IMO. Fell in love with the idea it was him that built it, and downplayed the Sky influence on same. He is a good salesman but the platform of Sky is huge for the casual fan.

Punchdrunk1, impacted, Astro and 3 others like this.
  3. N17

N17 VIP Member Full Member

Feb 16, 2013
    I heard they were trying to give tickets away late in the day and people either didn't want them or didn't turn up.

4. Bob Flaps

Bob Flaps Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 30, 2019
    Except they probably don't pay much of a rights fee for cards like that; it'll be tied specifically to targets on subscriptions and this card would do very few - if anything it might have caused more cancellations. Hence he's being given the chance to put a card on in Liverpool where the fans usually turn out, and hope people subscribe in the run-up to winter.

5. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    Eddie is already hyping Babic Vs Dave Allen .. he must just love losing money.

This is the same Dave Allen Hearn said he wouldn't work with any more, one because of the damage he was taking and secondly because Allen barely trained, it was always "I'm serious this time, I've been in the gym"..

Then Allen would turn up, embarrass himself and say "To be honest Koogs, I didn't train for this one but I've learnt my lesson.."

And that repeated itself over and over again.

But Hearn, Matchroom and DAZN are struggling so badly now that Babic Vs Allen is a "big fight" and a fight that Eddie likes but only if Dave Allen is fit, we've heard this before multiple times and if Hearn does make this then it's absolutely embarrassing and beyond acceptable.

Dave Allen is brain damaged, he slurs, he is damaged, no way should Allen be anywhere near a boxing ring.

6. N17

Feb 16, 2013
    Oh and Fury Vs Whyte will be PPV if it starts on DAZN according to Edward.

Hearn must be on self destruct :lol:

Wizbit1013, aaaaa and Brixton Bomber like this.
  7. Puroresu_Fan

Puroresu_Fan Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I didn't watch it but there is a double edged sword. Pull the show and don't take the hit but then the fighters don't get paid.

Run the show and upset the viewers who not interested in the card without the Whyte fight.

It does show why becoming a boxing promoter really isn't the the game to get into.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  8. nurological

nurological Boxing Junkie Full Member

May 25, 2012
    Short term he will be concerned but DAZN have a long term plan and have ridiculous backing

9. Sonny1

Sonny1 Boxing Addict Full Member

Mar 11, 2013
    I’m not sure about that tbf. Calzaghe v Veit 2 wasn’t on Sky, it was on ITV.

10. ShadesOfAli

ShadesOfAli Active Member Full Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Ultimately the general public have better things to do on a Saturday night than suffer the live theatrics of Eric Molina in full simulation.

11. I Shot JR

I Shot JR Boxing Junkie Full Member

Feb 17, 2012
    If Hearn hasn’t arranged a minimum rights fee for any one of his cards then he deserves to lose money. Surely if Matchroom content was that in demand DAZN would have agreed to that demand.

It was a dreadful card last night on paper and it perplexes me why fighters weren’t shifted to the December card to save the hit.

The whole Hearn/Matchroom/DAZN dynamic is rather strange to me.

Brixton Bomber likes this.
  12. ashishwarrior

ashishwarrior VIP Member Full Member

Apr 19, 2010
    what he lays out on ring walks is ridiculous
    it a ****ing ring walk that he wants you paying for
    its fighters we are in trested in not fireworks oh and sweet child o mine

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    aaaaa and Brixton Bomber like this.
  13. Holler

Holler Doesn't appear to be a paid matchroom PR shill Full Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've asked my butler to wire the bank and request a transfer of £200,000 from the petty cash to cover this inexplicable but entirely unjustifiable loss. For a lover of the sweet science such as myself, the spectacle of Babic vs Molina alone was more than enough. I'm sure everyone that watched and attended would gleefully have paid £200,000 each for the privilege of watching boxing history being made.

Wizbit1013 and BitPlayerVesti like this.
  14. kobashi

kobashi Well-Known Member Full Member

Jan 2, 2010
    This should not be a surprise to anyone though. DAZN are not gonna put up the money to fund a fight like this without PPV.

Eddie shot himself in the foot by shouting no more PPV. The other argument is maybe he really did think DAZN would put up the money for these big fights without PPV.

N17 likes this.
  15. aaaaa

aaaaa Ash banned Full Member

Dec 19, 2020
    Got too big for his boots and became a control freak. Sky will be in boxing a long time after Hearn has fcked off.

If he spent as much money putting decent fights together as he does on ring walks, fireworks and 'production' then DAZN may have worked but people aren't going to subscribe to crap. It'd be the same with Netflix etc if they only put a few half decent things on a month.

Safin, Sonny1 and tee_birch like this.