Ezzard Charles, The Cincinnati Cobra, The Baddest LHW of All Time... Educate Yourselves

Discussion in 'World Boxing Forum' started by George Crowcroft, Dec 3, 2019.

1. dangerousity

dangerousity Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 4, 2005
    This content is protected

Eye test tells me prime RJJ embrasses him and so does Usyk.

2. George Crowcroft

George Crowcroft Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Shut the **** up

3. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    I saw in the Layne fight more than a few others, how hard it was to brawl with Ezzard, and a lot of it did comedown to his jab.

Layne would come in, Ezz would block, counter jab and reset.
    Rinse and repeat, throw in a few slips and combos whilst moving and you leave Layne completely ****ed.

JC40 likes this.
  4. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Ezzard Charles vs Pat Valentino

Rd. Ezz : Pat (Total)
    1. 10 : 9 (10-9)
    2. 10 : 9 (20-18)
    3. 10 : 9 (30-27)
    4. 10 : 9 (40-36)
    5. 10 : 9 (50-45)
    6. 10 : 9 (60-54)
    7. 10 : 9 (
    This content is protected
    )

Charles wins by 8th round KO.
    I had Ezz winning easily, but all the rounds before the KO were close and competitive.

Ezz was very impatient here, getting tagged with shots he didn't need to. He was also more engaging than he needed to be, giving Pat more of a chance. Not a very good performance imo, despite the result.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Ezzard Charles's fight with Jimmy Bivins is supposed to be a lost classic. A real scrappy 10 rounder between two blossoming ATGs.

Charles, outweighed by 10lbs came out with a purpose against Bivins taking the first two rounds clearly and dropping him to a knees in the 2nd, Bivins (heavier and more experienced) returned fire in the third, and dropped him with a huge left hook. In the 4th, both men went to war, furiously exchanging for most of the round but Bivins consistently landing his straight right hand and hurting Ezzard as well as dropping him again for a count of nine. Bivins followed through, and dropped Charles again in the 5th. The middle rounds slowed down, but it lived up again in the 8th as Charles started throwing combinations to the body was caught hard again by Bivins and went down for count of 2.

The ringside writers had it 6-3-1.

Note - this is all from reports, as there is no footage of Ezzard Charles below heavyweight.

KeedCubano likes this.
  6. catchwtboxing

catchwtboxing Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 4, 2014
    I too am a huge fan. Started as a middleweight and had a very respectable heavyweight reign. A PPP great in the truest sense.

KeedCubano and George Crowcroft like this.
  7. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Luis Rodriguez is the closest comparison I can think of in 1 fighter.

KeedCubano likes this.
  8. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Ezzard Charles vs Roy Jones Jr

At 175, it's clear to me who'd win this. Call me biased all you want, it's Ezzard.

Jones never fought anyone like Ezzard, Ezz fought the original Roy Jones, Lloyd Marshall. Marshall beat Charles once in their trilogy, however Charles was very heavily injured.
    In the 1st rematch, Charles was dropped by a left hook, although got up immediately, the adaptions he made shut Marshall down. His simple changes of moving to the right and standing upright instead of crouching, shut Marshall's hook down and his glove trapping and parrying had already shut down his right. He slowly started getting more aggressive with his counters until he scored a KO with a cross to the body.
    In the third and final fight between them, he wiped Marshall out in 2. He demolished an ATG who is almost identical to Jones stylistically.

Jones's speed is the only thing Charles hasn't seen, but he's seen everything else Jones brings to the table. The "class" of Jones was topped by Moore(who Charles KOed), the arrhythmatic-ness of Jones was topped by Walcott (who Charles schooled and dropped), the power was topped by Marciano ect ect; you get where I'm going with this.

Once Jones lost his otherworldly speed, he was KOed, multiple times. Hopkins showed that Jones could fall for traps in his prime too.

Charles managed to line up killer counters against everyone. I see no reason why he wouldn't here, and given how hard Charles could hit when he sat down on them, I predict Charles via KO.

IntentionalButt likes this.
  9. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
  10. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    nice piece George, very sad too. I wouldn’t argue with him being the best at 175

TipNom and George Crowcroft like this.
  11. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Great one George

George Crowcroft likes this.
  12. Clinton

Clinton Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I think he beats Foster up over the course of the fight

George Crowcroft likes this.
  13. George Crowcroft

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah, so do I. Foster's strengths were pretty much his awkward aggression and all-round versatility in his left hand. Prime Charles figured and comprehensively beat a prime Jersey Joe Walcott, one of the most awkward fighters ever, and timed him repeatedly. Bob threw a lot of jabs, which Ezz mastered countering, his movement to the left-hand side would also stimey Foster's hook. He'd start landing straight rights over the top and then flurrying after he hurt Foster. Ezzard was faster and smarter than Bob too, he'd be able to exploit the opportunities and openings he created quicker than Foster could cover them up. Not to mention, Charles also had wicked power at 175, Foster's durability wouldn't be able to withstand it imo.

Charles KO in the mid-rounds. In a fight reminiscent to a longer, more drawn out bloodcurdling version of the Satterfield fight, in that Foster would probably hurt Charles early on, but Charles would figure him out and spark him with a beautiful 1-2-3.

Clinton likes this.
  14. Reinhardt

Reinhardt Boxing Junkie Full Member

Oct 4, 2016
    The Cobra was fantastic, but I am of the opinion not matter what weight class there's always somebody who'll get you. Especially when matching up the greatest that ever fought. I like your list of fighters who'd cause him trouble . I think Ezz out points Qawi like Spinks did, I can see Jones looking great before he gets iced , Spinks would be a great fight as would Greb and Foster, hard to say definitely what would happen but it'd be great.

TipNom and George Crowcroft like this.
  15. Somali Sanil

Somali Sanil Wild Buffalo Man banned Full Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Foster is an extremely dangerous fight for anyone weighing 175 George