Ezzard Charles vs. Floyd Patterson

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by FreshPrince, Jul 26, 2015.

1. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Member Full Member

May 12, 2015
    SuzieQ49's recent thread about Marciano, Patterson, and Moore made me think of this match up.

Both knocked out Moore, though Charles prevailed against Maxim where Patterson wasn't able to in what was, though, a disputed loss. Both are not true heavies, so, at about the cruiser-weight level for 15 rounds, who most likely wins? Is Charles too skilled? Or is Patterson too quick?

2. Entaowed

Entaowed Boxing Addict banned Full Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Great fight. I really do not know.

3. Balder

Balder Well-Known Member banned Full Member

Nov 10, 2012
    I think Patterson is fast enough and powerful enough to land a big shot.

EZ Charles would get caught at one point or another, He goes down to a Patterson L hook, and does not survive the round with the ref stepping in.

4. mr. magoo

mr. magoo VIP Member Full Member

Jan 3, 2007
  5. 2piece

2piece Well-Known Member Full Member

Feb 14, 2014
    I say Charles out boxes him and knocks him down a time or two when Patterson lunges in off balance, he had great timing.

When a cobra meets a gentleman the cobra wins every time.

6. Bummy Davis

Bummy Davis Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Charles was a better fighter and took a better shot, Patterson had the quicker hands but a little but Charles was the better smallish heavyweight

Pedro_El_Chef likes this.
  7. klompton2

klompton2 Boxing Junkie banned Full Member

Feb 10, 2013
    I think at HW or LHW Patterson wins.

8. albinored

albinored Active Member Full Member

Oct 7, 2007
    .....oddly enough, ezzard thought he could get shot at patterson. this was late in his career. he was in denial then about how far back he had gone. for a while he thought he could get another match with marciano, and then when marciano retired he thought he could re-win the title against patterson.

totally not realizing how far past even being a contender, and his friends and his wife gladys kept trying to get him to retire.

each in his prime? i'd pick ezzard and it wouldn't be one of his hardest fights.

9. FreshPrince

FreshPrince Member Full Member

May 12, 2015
    Great and interesting responses. I still don't know who'd win, but I'm leaning towards Charles, that is, if Patterson doesn't catch him with a haymaker.

Can't an extraordinary gentleman tame a cobra?

10. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    You underate Charles. He rates up there with Greb as one of the P4P best of all time.

Can't see how you could possibly favor the 1954 175lb Patterson(who lost to Maxim) over a peak 1948 Ezzard Charles

11. Perry

Perry Boxing Junkie Full Member

Apr 26, 2015
    Both are underrated. I will go with Charles. In his prime he was smooth as silk. Great boxer, good puncher.