Ezzard Charles vs. Muhammad Ali

Discussion in 'Classic Boxing Forum' started by Flo_Raiden, May 9, 2012.

1. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    We're talking about a prime Ali though,Burt. The Cassius Clay who fought Jones and Cooper was still two/three years away from primetime Muhammad Ali.

2. PowerPuncher

PowerPuncher VIP Member Full Member

Jul 22, 2004
    :lol: clueless types actually picking Charles. I love Charles but come on

ThatOne, Clinton and Shisha like this.
  3. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    This.

And I think he takes the Clay of the Liston fight, too. Sometime shortly after that, Ali surpasses Charles at heavyweight.

4. SuzieQ49

SuzieQ49 Officer Full Member

Sep 14, 2005
    No. Clay really grew as a physical speciman from the jones/cooper fights to the liston fights

5. Stevie G

Stevie G Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jul 17, 2009
    His growth is particularly noticable between the two Liston fights. He was five pounds lighter in the second fight,but looked broader across the shoulders and chest.

6. RockysSplitNose

RockysSplitNose Boxing Junkie Full Member

Jul 15, 2007
    It is one thing being a bit more realistic and not being swept away on wave of Ali mythology but it is another thing to take it too far the other way - Charles was amazing yes Ali was off the scale for me - even the 'amazing' scale - but yeah - great fight due to styles

ThatOne likes this.
  7. McGrain

McGrain Diamond Dog Staff Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Ali. Faster, stronger, harder puncher, probably smarter, better chin, bigger, huge reach advantage, I would pick him by KO.

ThatOne and Shisha like this.
  8. Bill Butcher

Bill Butcher Erik`El Terrible`Morales Full Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Muhammad Ali would stop Charles late on or beat him wide on points, extremely good big man beats extremely good smaller man ;)

ThatOne, KidGalahad and Shisha like this.
  9. Bill Butcher

Sep 3, 2007
    Your out of your tiny mind.

10. he grant

he grant Historian/Film Maker Full Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Well you know the Charles that fought Marciano ... :nut ... come on ... Ali beats him pretty convincingly ... either a lopsided decision or some form of TKO ..

Shisha likes this.
  11. The Mongoose

The Mongoose I honor my bets banned

Aug 13, 2009
    :lol:

I saw hegrant posted in this thread and somehow just knew it would mention "Rocky Marciano."

12. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Of course Ali would be a favorite by virtue of his size advantage, no doubt...But boxing is about styles,and I think that Ezzard Charles had the punching speed and unflappable
    temperment to offset whatever weight advantage Clay/Ali had...I am talking about the peak Ezzard Charles of 1948 to 1951 when Ezzard was in his prime at 27-30 years of age...This edition of Charles beat the likes of Elmer Ray,Jimmy Bivins, Joe Baksi, Joe Walcott, Joey Maxim, Joe Louis, Lee Oma, Rex Layne,etc in convincing fashion...He was THREE years older and showing signs of being shopworn when he tangled with the prime
    Rocky Marciano in 1954...Ezz was not the Cincinnati Cobra of old by 1954 against the Brockton Blockbuster, but yet gave a helluva great and courageous performance against
    Rocky Marciano...Yessir ! Ali who I saw at the FOTC, certainly beat great fighters at his peak, no doubt and should be a favorite because of his size advantage over Charles, but
    I think Ali would have trouble against a guy like Ezzard Charles of 1948-51, because he never met a fast cutting puncher like the prime Charles who was such a GREAT professional pro. Ask Archie Moore...Another point relevant to styles...Ike Williams, the great punching lightweight of the 1940s lost three bouts to Willie Joyce a great STYLIST who's style negated what Ike Williams threw at him...So I believe that the 1948-51
    edition of Ezzard Charles, who was vastly superior to a similar styled Doug Jones, had a fine chance of beating Clay / Ali in a "fantasy" fight...Ezzard was THAT good...

13. Bill Butcher

Sep 3, 2007
    There is no doubt that Ezzard Charles was one of the very best fighters in boxing history, very underrated (until the creation of ESB classic that is) but to favour him over a prime Muhammad Ali in a HW contest is overrating him, styles or not.

ThatOne and Shisha like this.
  14. burt bienstock

burt bienstock Obsessed with Boxing Full Member

Jan 22, 2010
    BB I said Ali would be the favorite, BUT not all favorites win, as shown in the recent Kentucky Derby, so my hunch tells me that Charles at his best would spring an upset...bb...

15. Seamus

Seamus Proud Kulak Full Member

Feb 11, 2005
    I am not overly-impressed by Clay on film. He was the perfect foil to an aging Liston's plodding, concrete feet and overly deliberate attack. Still, he was too skittish. The second fight was an absolute farce and doesn't rate, but by that time, and certainly after, I suspect Ali was just getting better everyday.